Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT - Woes!

Options
  • 26-09-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Righto. My computer came with an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT graphics card, and I was quite happy with it. It could handle most applications and games I've tried, and generally it was behaving as you'd expect a graphics card should.

Then, a few months into using it, the graphics card's fan started making this loud, erratic humming sound when I turned on my computer. It sounded a bit like the fan was struggling to spin at its desired speed, or like it was off-balance and rocking on its mounting. It would settle down and become silent again a few minutes after booting the computer, but the noise would return when I did anything graphics-intensive with my computer, like running image editing software or some games. I tried taking out the card and dusting/cleaning it thoroughly, but it had little effect.

Eventually, the fan would stop settling down after booting my computer. It soon failed entirely and my graphics card died a horrible, overheated death. The fan had actually melted off of its mounting. :p

The shop I got my computer from offered me a free replacement for the card, a second GeForce 9500 GT. I've been using this replacement for about a year now and it's been a mostly flawless experience, but recently it's started to make the same buzzing sound again. I'm fairly sure the same thing's going to happen, plus it's a very annoying sound, so I need some advice!

Is there anything I can do to fix the fan? I've cleaned it a few times already so that shouldn't help. Does it need to be oiled, or screwed on more tightly or something? Or should I simply replace the card with something else? If so, any recommendations? Should I stick with Nvidia, or are their fans usually this unreliable?

Cheers for reading my plight, anyway. :p Looking forward to getting this fixed!

Comments

Advertisement