Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading RAM

Options
  • 26-09-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Iv had my PC for a very long time now and have never updated any parts in it,
    mostly because I don't know much about the hardware side of computers

so im going to get some more ram and I don't really know what I should be getting or even if I have to get a particular kind of ram,
    iv got a few questions if someone could please help me out...

Whats the difference between DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 ?

If my PC came with DDR does that mean I have keep using that kind ?

Can you put too much ram into a PC ? (because mine is old)

Thanks,
    Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yes, you have to stick to the kind of ram you have.

Download and run CPU-Z
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
    Go to the mainboard tab, post what you see for model and also the amount of memory in the memory tab.
    If you have the manufacturer name and model (of the PC) too it would be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Flacks aka Dave

the model is SiS-661 and the memory is 512 MB :(
    the PC its self is an advent 3118

Is this it?
    http://www.ec21.com/product-details/Mainboard-Sis-661-775--1909898.html
    Have a look at the CPU tab in CPUZ, make sure it's a Socket 775 processor. Maybe have a look inside the case just to match up.

You should check but the chances are that you have both memory slots filled. Therefore you would need to replace what you have to put in the new RAM. Max memory is 2GB so you could get 2x1GB DDR.

CPUZ says its a Socket 478 mPGA
    but the max is also 2GB, iv two slots and this is whats in slot one

I just went to crucial.com/eu and found out each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot
    so I was thinking of getting 2Gb Team Elite DDR PC3200 CL2.5 Dual Channel kit from shop4memory.com
    is € 89 incl. VAT a good price?

*EDIT*
    or would This be better?

That seems to be about the price of DDR at the moment. I'm guessing the kingston probably has slightly higher timings, but you probably wouldn't notice much difference. The low density could be a plus with some motherboards, as there were some compatibility problems around that time. It would probably do the same job in the long run.

• Advertisement

cool ill go with the 2x1GB kingston RAM,
    nice one for all your help :D

Advertisement