Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Gascoigne

• 26-09-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Gascoigne gets management role

Paul Gascoigne has been appointed the new manger of non-league club Garforth Town.

The former England midfielder has described the role with the Evo Stik First Division North League club as 'a big challenge'.

Gascoigne, 43, told the News of the World's official website: 'I feel strong right now. For me personally it's a big challenge. It's whether the players want to join me in that challenge.

'I never knew when I'd get back into football. I want to take the club forward and I want the players to develop. I will give commitment to the club.

'Going to a club like this does not bother me one bit. I love this type of football. It is not flash and the players won't be flash.

'I will get the same publicity at Garforth as if I was at a Premier League club and I don't want the players to get carried away with it.

'I am excited. I can't wait to get in and get started - but of course I will be nervous.'

The former Newcastle, Tottenham, Lazio and Rangers midfielder believes his appointment with the West Yorkshire side will not be a repeat of his previous management role, at Kettering.

Owner Imraan Ladak sacked Gascoigne after just 39 days, claiming the former England international was drinking too much.

Gascoigne explained: 'It went really well there. The chairman tried to blame it on the drink but it was totally untrue. He stopped me coaching and he wanted to become manager.'

Garforth owner Simon Clifford said: 'This is not a publicity stunt. When we signed Socrates and Careca, that was. Everyone says they love Paul but nobody does anything about it.

'I want him to be an inspiration to someone who might have depression or problems in their lives. He's walked through hell but he has kept on walking.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Anything the gets Paul Gascoigne back to been Gazza is a good thing.

I Wish him all the success and full recovery .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Let's hope he keeps it together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well, hes got the negotiating skills for it lets face it.
    Gwan gazza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think he's a waster and will probably walk out on them when things don't go too well. But at least he's starting at the right place and might prove me wrong and progress.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I think he's a waster and will probably walk out on them when things don't go too well. But at least he's starting at the right place and might prove me wrong and progress.

Watch yourself getting down from that horse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

I Hope he stays off the sauce and sticks at it. Good luck Gazza, i think you'll need lots of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If his tenure there is anything other than a short lived disaster I will be very surprised, and impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

A very entertaining read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/39-Days-Gazza-Steve-Pitts/dp/1906015449/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285534970&sr=1-4

I loved this guy as a player and have read a couple of his books but as far as I'm concerned the whole Raoul Moate thing blew it for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Is'nt he a wife beater?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Watch yourself getting down from that horse
    Stating the obvious is not exactly being on a high horse. The best way to predict future behaviour is to look at past behaviour.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »

I see what your saying , but according to a recent interview his major problems began when he finished his last pro contract .
    So basically he was nor could be the joker Gazza to the masses , he in his head (IMO) was now just Paul Gascoigne.
    If the happy bubbly Gazza could return then that's a good thing for him .without the football of course.

DIY psychology speech over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can see it ending in tears, but most decent people couldn't wish anything other than good luck to him and hope that this might be the corner where he'll turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Id give him 40 days.

Who said anything about a quick fix ?

I was simply saying if this new role ups his spirits and brings some success then it can only be a good thing . We may then see the joker which I for one enjoyed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Look we all know he has serious issues, alcoholism and bipolar disorder for starters. But being involved in football is potentially the best thing that could happen to him. Certainly alot better than being holed up in a hotel drinking whiskey anyway.

It's an opportunity for him to have some purpose in his life if he wants to take it. If he screws it up again he'll have no-one to blame but himself. No more than George Best there's only so many chances you can give someone. I hope he takes this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Id give him 40 days.

Is that the Real Madrid Chairman speaking ? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

I wonder if he'll take the players fishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pure publicity stunt by the club, sure they've done it before, and it'll be a short lived romance imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Few cans of beer and some chicken.

Advertisement