If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I choose a tv

Options
  • 26-09-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    My old sony 28" CRT has finally packed in and I'm going to replace it with a 37" or maybe 40" tv. My problem is since I started researching I'm more confused! Issues such a compatibility for Irish digital tv is my main issue but there seems to be so many options e.g. with freeview, ambilight, backlight, 50 & 100 Hz, 1080, Full HD & HD ready, MPEG 2&4, internet tv, etc. etc.
    Can you help me or even point me in the direction of impartial Irish relevant information, I have read some general stuff from the UK and US but need to talk. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Molzer,

The Irish digital broadcast from RTE is currently MPEG4 so if that is a main concern that’s what you need the TV to list.

Also if your into sports you may want to consider going for at least a 100Hz screen. It handles motion better than a 50Hz would so you'll get an over all better smoother picture.

Ambilight is literally ambient lighting projected from the rear of Philips Ambilight TV's. There are different versions of Ambilight available on different versions of the Philips TV range.(Philips comes in 3000, 5000, 7000, 8000, 9000 series TV’s. The higher the number the more features the TV comes with). - The benefits of Ambilight have been proven by independent academic research. In 2005, The Lighting Research Centre of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York confirmed Ambilight reduced eyestrain/fatigue and increased visual comfort, compared to normal TV. While in 2007, the Ludwig- Maximilians-University, Munich, found Ambilight to be less taxing on the brain; increasing relaxation and enabling more emotional involvement.

1080 refers to the resolution of the screen. For example a Full HD screen is a screen that has a native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. This can accept and play images that have been scaled up to 1080 with progressive scanning. This is what is known as 1080p upscaling.

A HD Ready screen on the other hand has a native resolution of 1366x768 pixels and can accept and display images up to 720p resolutions. Though some HD Ready screens will also accept 1080p images they will be scaled down to match the screens own native resolution.

Philips Net TV, together with local and international partners, offers fast access to the most popular on-line information and entertainment content directly to your TV (you do need a broadband connection and you need to integrate your TV into your home network). Viewing and navigating is done via remote control alpha-numerically (the same as texting on a mobile phone). Full internet access is also possible.

Now the backlight you asked about I assume refers to LED LCD's. Here there is quite a bit of info... Traditionally LCD screens are lit by CCFL which is a row of lights behind the LCD panel. LED LCD's are a newer version of LCD's and are avail in a couple of different categories.

From the Philips range we have Direct LED Backlight (5000 series). These have about 128 LED lights behind the screen and give you a brighter picture than the traditional LCD with a contrast ratio of 500 000:1. These are about 40mm deep.

Edge LED Backlight (7000/8000 series) Have 2 LED Strips down the very edge of the screen and so give these screens the capacity to be extremely thin. About 10mm. They also boast a contrast of 500 000:1 but are also very low on power consumption.

And Finally the LED PRO from Philips is a Direct LED Backlight with 2D Dimming (9000 series). These have 1792 LED lights behind the screen. Its an extremely smart system that selects which LED's to turn on and off to precisely regulate the required level of light to different areas of the TV screen. Deep blacks and pure whites - extreme contrast and brilliance with up to 50% less energy used compared to a normal LCD TV. These also boast a massive contrast ratio of 10 000 000:1.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions and points you in the right direction. Have a look at our website on www.philipsshop.ie. There is a FAQ section which may also be worth a read.

Thanks a mil, Nicola. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Molzer.

Fancy a chat ?

Drop me a PM with a contact number and I'll give you a call and give you some free advice.

JohnMc (the boss) always says that I talk too much, so I might as well prove him right !

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Hi Nicola,

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply;
    does mpeg 4 mean that it has an in-built hd digital receiver?
    So if I have one of these i don't need a freesat receiver right?
    And, when rte start transmitting digital tv I will be able to receive it, right?
    I think i definitely want the 100hz and the full hd 1080p.
    I think LCD will be fine, I assume there would be a big price differencen to go for LED.
    I don't need to be at the cutting edge with my purchase but at the same time I want it to be able to connect with the usual bits, 3 or 4 hdmi and a usb port would be good.
    Is there anything else I should be considering?
    Less confused now

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Hi Dave,

PM sent, thanks for the reply.:)

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Molzer2 wrote: »
    Hi Nicola,

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply;
    does mpeg 4 mean that it has an in-built hd digital receiver? No - it does mean that you will be able to receive the new RTE Free to air broadcasts - however these won't be HD unfortunately
    So if I have one of these i don't need a freesat receiver right? Freesat is a completely different beast - and built in freesat TV's are now as rare as hens teeth which is really unfortunate as they are really great - Freesat HD is a different technology which uses a satellite dish and allows you to access a range of channels, subscription free, some of them in really excellent HD - have a look at www.freesat.co.uk for more details
    And, when rte start transmitting digital tv I will be able to receive it, right?Yep 110% once you area is covered of course!
    I think i definitely want the 100hz and the full hd 1080p.Excellent choice - the 100Hz really makes a difference
    I think LCD will be fine, I assume there would be a big price differencen to go for LED.
    I don't need to be at the cutting edge with my purchase but at the same time I want it to be able to connect with the usual bits, 3 or 4 hdmi and a usb port would be good.
    Is there anything else I should be considering?
    Less confused now
    Excellent - keep firing us the queries and we will do our best to advise

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

Sorry John, but just to clarify are you saying that the philips 7000 series doesnt have built in freesat receiver?
    If not could you recommend a good receiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Stitches.

Yes, unfortunately currently none of the Philips models have built-in freesat. The best priced option on the freesat box would be our 250GB Sagem model which is £169.95 / €199 and features twin tuners so record one while watching another, excellent 8 day epg, pause & rewind live TV and with up to 125 hours of recording, this would be the best value one.

Alternatively, the Humax foxsat HD box which is £129.95 which is simply a freesat box and doesn't have any of the recording features.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any further queries.

Cheers

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.