Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x01 "Intervention" *Spoilers*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

I disliked they coped out on the baby TJ death....why try twist it to a happy ending?...let the little bugger die straight out. Overall the ep. was just OK, nothing great.
    +1

Didn't see the point of the "wooooh we saved your baby, but we MIGHT not have!" - just kill it outright, splat, dead baby.

Also...the poll...how come it goes in ascending order of better characters? I know alphabetism was the aim, but come on! How could carter be better than Daniel? Or Eli! :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

D is for Daniel
    lol --> http://www.sgusucks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

C is for Carter
    The numbers, once again...are woeful:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 1.175 million viewers
    - 0.8/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49
    To be expected, I can tell you exactly how many season premieres I have known to watch: One :)

Give it a week or two.
    All the cliffhanger elements were resolved a little too conveniently for my liking, especially the TJ baby story arc. Found it even worse than the SG:Atlantis cliffhanger where the control room blew up, and they all survived by ducking behind a console. This is meant to be the believable stargate franchise. Kinda pointless if its only gonna be realistic when its convenient.

If you can get past that, the rest of the ep wasn't too bad, and I did like the resolution to the foothold situation
    Take that back!

Nothing - nothing - was as horrendous as that cliffhanger.

D is for Daniel
    LOL! attachment.php?attachmentid=1161&d=1285807447

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

C is for Carter
    It was ok, a bit too predictable that they only lost the baby[but not really]. /sigh

I'll give it a few episodes before calling TOD. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

C is for Carter
    never really grasped the concept of bashing a show for numerous seasons, never mind actually going to the effort of creating a website to air your opinion,

the biggest problem with SG:U id that its following SG:1 and SG:A, and the change of pace and direction doesnt sit well with traditional stargate, doesnt bother me, i like it, its just like any other stargate series, there a few excellent episodes, and a few lets never watch that episode again episodes,

some people set there standards way to high, the show is only staring off, 20 episodes have aired, and theres probably 6 or 7 excellent episodes, i think it did get off to a terrible start, but it was still good enough to hold my interest till it got better, which it did in the second half of season 1,

i admit they wrapped up the season premier a bit to neatly, and i was expecting something to be on the console when brody was staring at it weird, that would have been a better way to end it, but i suppose they have to work out what to do with the LA in the next episode,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

D is for Daniel
    Not a bad opener, fairly middle of the road, let down by the nice neat finish to everything. Everyone survives, except the two main baddies, hooray!!! And so on.

I was wondering what the story with Chloe's leg was, and was thinking that it was the ship that had healed her somehow, maybe by the scientist guy that was absorbed into the ship from the Chair. I hadn't read or seen any of those spoilers until now. Talk about flogging a dead horse. Chloe is boring, leave her character alone. More time on Lt James or the new Lucian bird, Ginn, is what's needed.
    Kazuma wrote: »
    Didn't see the point of the "wooooh we saved your baby, but we MIGHT not have!" - just kill it outright, splat, dead baby.

Then you'd have TJ sulking and pining for her dead baby for the next 6 months. Better that she's all happy about it, then we can move on as if it had ever happened. Also, they might actually bring that alien planet story back into it at some point.

Roll on next week, and hopefully it'll be better.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty decent but I'll echo others who think it as all wrapped up a little too conveniently. I mean at least give Chloe a limp or something - not a healing leg (my guess is she was tinkered with by the blue aliens. If so though, why did they leave her personality as it was instead of fixing it?).

As to TJ... I don't like the idea of more ascended alien types hanging around. Too much like deus ex machina. Let the baby die - be bold and daring.

Rest of it was pretty good. I don't want the Maquis Alliance to get too friendly though (thankfully none will have spirit guides). I'd like tensions - a lot of it.

Now I want to see them expand the universe further and introduce some proper threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I was very underwhelmed by the whole episode, I think the serise so far is like a packet of starburst... 1 or 2 strawberry ones... 45 or 5 orange ones and the rest are manky lemon or lime ones that no one wants! :D

I dont blame the cast (mainly) or the subject material.... its the writers. They are so dead focused on the path they are going down with this "Charecter driven" ethos they have abandonded their roots for it. Someone seriously needs to have a sit down with them and show them why the fans liked the stargate franchise to begin with, agree with the writers that as the fan base gets more mature the show should too... great idea but there needs to be a middle ground.

I'd love to see more two episode story arcs, more action, A SMALL bit of humour and more of Destiny tech / systems... on a REGULAR basis. As it stands the show does this every 3 or four episodes and with so many filler episodes when we do get a glimps of destiny etc it feels like an underwhelming pat on the head for sitting through the filler.... finish your greens and you can have desert attitude needs to go.

With the ratings slipping they seriously need to re think the game plan, staying the coarse and hoping the hardcore will stay / bring in mature fans wont work. They need to introduce a slight bit more of the writing style that made the franchise what it is. SGU = ambitious writing concept taken too far, needs to be scaled back slightly to survive or we could end up with another Enterprise fiasco.

That show started sooooo sllllooowwww , rating dived, show got its two season notice of canx then got awsome for those 2 seasons cause they were no longer trying to milk each episode for lengthing the lifespan of the whole.

C is for Carter
    The reason so many people are turning off isn't hard to figure out. Sci Fi fans aren't retarded. Oh look, it's Voyager! We already have Basics we're just waiting on Learning Curve. It's a badly obvious plot rehash. If I want to re-watch voyager I can re-watch voyager. And yes of course that's for those the left later on but stayed through Chloe's inexplicable recovery. They should not have left that so oblivious.

If this show wants to save itself it's really got to move. A real plot is badly needed before this goes the way of Heroes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

E is for Eli
    were we supposed to recognise that nebula that tj saw from the planet?

battlestar galactica crossover?

C is for Carter
    were we supposed to recognise that nebula that tj saw from the planet?

battlestar galactica crossover?
    I watched the 11:00 rerun to catch it, because who among us was actually paying full attention to that episode?

But whatshisface showed her the same nebula on the planet, saying it appeared in the sky when whatsherpregnantface showed up. Oh right: Johansen, or something.

Anyway, we see the same nebula - to her- appear at least a galaxy away from where she first saw it so now she's all doped up on hopeballs or something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

E is for Eli
    but where did she first see it? :)

but where did she first see it? :)

On the faith planet, in the clearing over the lake.
    Its a set up for a future storyline, just like chloe's magic healing power. It was another filler ep to tie off a cliffhanger and set up two more storylines and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

C is for Carter
    There's too many people up and running around after taking bullets only 24 hours previously.

Peace wrote: »
    There's too many people up and running around after taking bullets only 24 hours previously.

Couldnt agree more, when young was hurt in the pilot and ended up limping round the ship using a g36c as a crutch that was awsome. Realisim and a bit or a hard nut too = great. Now it seems like if your a main player you can shruk off a gunshot wound like it was a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vinny_963

D is for Daniel
    overall pretty average alrite looking forward to seeing more of that supernatural girl though

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

C is for Carter
    This talk of poor views gets me nervy. It's a really good show. Hope it doesn't get cancelled. If heroes can go on for 4 seasons....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

D is for Daniel
    Wow considering the views here have been largely "meh" i am surprised the poll isn't representative of this.

Hopefully next episode the Maquis, TJ and Chloe get jettisoned in some freak incident that will never be further explored. I suggest they are replaced by using that freaking ROBOT!!! that they found in a previous episode. I enjoy the show but Rush, Eli, Greer and Young carry it for me. If they are marginalised in favour of a Chloe storyline or TJ storyline then I can see myself ditching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

C is for Carter
    I disliked they coped out on the baby TJ death....why try twist it to a happy ending?...let the little bugger die straight out. Overall the ep. was just OK, nothing great.

Maybe I was reading too much into it but I took that whole section as being the start of a story arc. That and along with what's-her'name's mysteriously quickly healing wound.

It will be interesting to see what they will do with the LA crew....... As long as they don't go all Voyager on us: We're the Maquis, we're here to bring some strife to the Trek series....... for two episodes

As for the ratings: No offence but RD has a bit of a viewership fetish

Edit: Ah, didn't see your post there Hightower.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

D is for Daniel
    D-Generate wrote: »
    Hopefully next episode TJ get jettisoned in some freak incident that will never be further explored.
    Careful now... :D

Watched it last night and like most thought it was pretty average and not a good finale to the 3 parter. The baby thing is just stupid.

C is for Carter
    Careful now... :D

Watched it last night and like most thought it was pretty average and not a good finale to the 3 parter. The baby thing is just stupid.
    4-parter really. But yes, those episodes were much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I think that if the ascended / super aliens come into the story arc, what happened there might be redeemable. If not, it was such a super lame cop out. Kill the baby. Kill a random main character, rather than loosing a few ensign rickies.

I thought Chloe's healing leg was a bit lame, but its only now that I realise it was a bullet wound she was playing with in the closing scene, I thought it was a mark left by tubes the blue aliens attached to her.

I think we've had enough mutinees, so lets see if they can do something new with the LA.

And I for one want to see a lot more technology and sci-fi!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hah, you really do get some fruitcakes on the web.

Decent opener, though I wasn't terribly impressed with everyone but the baby and Rhona Mitra surviving. Predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, kind of underwhelmed overall. Hopefully they can get away from this internal conflicts crap and start doing interesting stuff. It's almost like watching the west wing or some other political drama...except on a space ship.

Chloe should have died. Or a bigger deal made of her "sudden healing". I dunno, it just seemed a bit like a side-thought - "Oh we better include that for the story that we're going to start in 7 episodes". I liked the idea of TJ's baby dying/being saved until the lame "sign" at the end. Better to leave it as a hanger-on; Did the baby die or didn't it; and have the character agonising over it for the rest of the series. Now we know that it was all real. Lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'd be happy if they could ditch the emo songs at the end of each episode.

I don't want anymore Ally Mcbeal. I want some Sci Fi, thanks.

D is for Daniel
    Again...what is the point of Chloe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Again...what is the point of Chloe?
    I would say that originally she was meant to be representative of the average fan, i.e. not military, and not a genius/expert in her field, just an average person caught up in it all for the average fans to feel a link to. Needless to say, it doesn't seem to have worked out, the writers don't seem to know what to do with such an average person, so they'll end up having to try make her "special" somehow.

C is for Carter
    She was created to help Geek's girlfriends (?) relate to the show they were forced to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement