Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Music Forum Paired Artist- Battle Dome-Please read 1st Post for Rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OK ..this thread is going nowhere fast.....please read the rules which can be found at the 1st post....next new battle takes place after 7pm tomorrow night (actually, it's this evening...Friday) so if you have an idea of a battle of the bands, do please post at that point...in the meantime....let's have a quick battle before something new comes along that hasn't been mentioned to date...:

Billy Bragg Vs Morrissey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

Cicero wrote: »
    OK ..this thread is going nowhere fast.....please read the rules which can be found at the 1st post....next new battle takes place after 7pm tomorrow night (actually, it's this evening...Friday) so if you have an idea of a battle of the bands, do please post at that point...in the meantime....let's have a quick battle before something new comes along that hasn't been mentioned to date...:

Billy Bragg Vs Morrissey...

This thread has suffered because of the lack of ability to create polls and the fact we can't alter the title. If we can't keep a more open method on this thread ( a la poll creation), I suggest separate threads for each pairing. Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I think I won with Bowie and Slade :D

CDfm wrote: »
    I think I won with Bowie and Slade :D

Er, Was that a battle? All i asked was for the similarity and you gave me a valid response :confused:

I do see your point, though.

Er, Was that a battle? All i asked was for the similarity and you gave me a valid response :confused:

I do see your point, though.

Lol -I will chalk that down as a win to me so-just to keep Cicero happy :D

Billy Bragg vs Morrissey ???

Morrissey as a solo artist has never been to my taste and was a little too fey. Solo Morrissey vs Solo Paul Weller would be more fun.

The link is more that they are politically active rather than anything else.

Bragg was a punk protest singer - A New England and my favorite "Levi Stubbs Tears" are epic. His Guthrie Homage with Wilco Mermaid Avenue is class -he has a claim to being the English Dylan more than most.

Morrissey to me is numbskullingly boring and a lot of his post Smiths work cry out for Johnny Marr. Lyrically, he was very interesting with the Smiths and afterwards everything seemed a poor copy.

His feuding with others is legendary , as John Lydon said on "Meat is Murder"" No its not. Its delicious" He also turned the Cures Robert Smith into an avid meat eater.

• Advertisement

Lol -I will chalk that down as a win to me so-just to keep Cicero happy :D

Fair enough so :D

This thread has suffered because of the lack of ability to create polls and the fact we can't alter the title. If we can't keep a more open method on this thread ( a la poll creation), I suggest separate threads for each pairing. Just a suggestion.

the idea of this thread was to avoid cluttering the forum with similar type threads...if this is ultimately a thread fail, I'm happy to accept that and move on but would like to give it a chance to develop first...sometimes, these things take a bit of time to take off and it also is dependent on the music pairings. As a compromise, I will amend the rules in my first post (if I can) to every two days but please give this thread a chance to develop- I have actually learnt a lot so far so I think it has purpose in that aspect alone.
    PM sent to mod requesting 1st post to be amended:

Billy Bragg vs Morrissey ???

Bragg was a punk protest singer - A New England and my favorite "Levi Stubbs Tears" are epic. His Guthrie Homage with Wilco Mermaid Avenue is class -he has a claim to being the English Dylan more than most.

Morrissey to me is numbskullingly boring and a lot of his post Smiths work cry out for Johnny Marr. Lyrically, he was very interesting with the Smiths and afterwards everything seemed a poor copy.

His feuding with others is legendary , as John Lydon said on "Meat is Murder"" No its not. Its delicious" He also turned the Cures Robert Smith into an avid meat eater.

:D....yea, it's Bragg for me too... I think he's done a lot in terms of documenting social issues through music- the 80s were a desperate time for many in Thatcherite England and I think Bragg really captured the mood through his music...maybe too "lefty" for some, or maybe many, but when you had Thatcher, it was inevitable that opposing voices such as Bragg would emerge.

Both of these bands were a bit of fun.

Madness vs UB40 both British and have stood the test of time and are my pick -massive bands and still working .

I was tempted to go for the Damned vs the Stranglers but we've already mentioned glam today :)

From an era that spawned the Specials, their offshoot Fun Boy Three, Bananarama.

So who was best ??

I think on a personal preference, I'd go with UB40 purely because I prefer Reggee over Ska....UB40 also gained a greater international aclaim than Madness did which I think gives them the edge somewhat.
    I've seen both in concert and I'd definately place UB40 ahead of Madness- I was bored at the Madness concert a few years ago- I would have had greater pleasure listening to their "best of" in the comfort of my own home...when they strayed from their hits, the crowd grew pretty restless...

• Advertisement

Both bands are working musicians and give a good show.

Are UB40 more of a covers band/showband ???

Madness are more original material.

I prefer Suggs over the Campbell brothers and only just thought the Read Brothers (Proclaimers) would do the UB40 set better.

"covers band " is a bit of a low ball..yea, they've covered a number of songs but musically they are fine performers...King, food for thought, my way of thinking, if it happens again, are all ub40 originals...jimmy cliffs often covered many rivers to cross was comfortably owned by ub40 and I havent heard a better version of Diamonds Red Red wine......

The other thing about Madness was their fan-base- many fans in the early days of Madness were card carrying members of the National Front....not an image that would sell records globally- while this image certainly changed by the 80s, it always hung over them like a cloud

.jimmy cliffs often covered many rivers to cross was comfortably owned by ub40 and I havent heard a better version of Diamonds Red Red wine......

UBX-factor more like it - a bit of a Showband really :p
    The other thing about Madness was their fan-base- many fans in the early days of Madness were card carrying members of the National Front....not an image that would sell records globally- while this image certainly changed by the 80s, it always hung over them like a cloud

Maybe but that was not really what the band was about. Slade also had the bovver boy image. Suggs really is a front man par excellence.He has done covers in his solo career and his version of the Beatles " I'm Only Sleeping " for me is better than the original ,which itself was pretty awesome.

Bands of their genre such as the Specials and the Beat and Fun Boy Three were really of a different mold to UB40.

The Campbell Brothers are the sons of Ewan Campbell the folk singer and haddone the poor artist growiung up lifestyle and had no problem selling out for hits and money.

UBX-factor more like it - a bit of a Showband really :p

Could say the same of Bowie singing "Dancing in the Streets"...:p...but of course we don't...:D....not accepting you believe that statement...you're on the back foot and fumbling around for an argument you know you can't win..broken record stuff at this stage..."must try harder":D

The Campbell Brothers are the sons of Ewan Campbell the folk singer and haddone the poor artist growiung up lifestyle and had no problem selling out for hits and money.

Selling out??? A Madness mug at the "Point Depot" a few years ago was nearly 20 euro (and that was the cheapest mechandise available)...- I'd actually say UB40 were at a disadvantage coming from a "niche" Reggae fanbase but were still able to outstrip Madness in sales, popularity, achievement.....sorry CDfm but you're losing this one fast...:p

Could say the same of Bowie singing "Dancing in the Streets"...:p...but of course we don't...:D....not accepting you believe that statement...you're on the back foot and fumbling around for an argument you know you can't win..broken record stuff at this stage..."must try harder":D

That was for charidee and Bowie has done worse and I am not talking about Bing Crosbie

Selling out??? A Madness mug at the "Point Depot" a few years ago was nearly 20 euro (and that was the cheapest mechandise available)...- I'd actually say UB40 were at a disadvantage coming from a "niche" Reggae fanbase but were still able to outstrip Madness in sales, popularity, achievement.....sorry CDfm but you're losing this one fast...:p

Merchandise -how is that relevant :rolleyes:

How were UB40 at a disadvantage Bob Marley & Eddy Grant were fairly huge -even Eric"God" Clapton recorded " I shot the Sherrif" and the Police had "Regetta de Blanc" so reggae was hardly a minority taste.

And for that matter, if I am not mistaken the Bay City Rollers outsold David Bowie in the 70's -so sales alone arent a measure of quality.

So Cicero this ones for you

Merchandise -how is that relevant :rolleyes:

you raised the issue of "selling out"...you tell me...I'm just illustrating the fact that Madness is a commercial band, who know very well how to milk it...

How were UB40 at a disadvantage Bob Marley & Eddy Grant were fairly huge -even Eric"God" Clapton recorded " I shot the Sherrif" and the Police had "Regetta de Blanc" so reggae was hardly a minority taste.

not a majority taste either though...and more niche than Ska in early 80s' ...back then, every 2nd school kid was wearing white socks and black jeans with a "nutty" badge on their lapel...Madness were pretty much the "band of the moment" back then..in fact, if any band comes close to X factor in terms of mainstream popularity, then it's Madness over UB40 any day...

And for that matter, if I am not mistaken the Bay City Rollers outsold David Bowie in the 70's -so sales alone arent a measure of quality.

True, but international acclaim is certainly an indicator and Madness score very low on this front....."Brittan's Got Talent" maybe but not much more than that....their "nutty" image and music was worn out by the mid 1980s....compare that to UB40 - when Madness were asking "where did it all go wrong?" and literally living the label of "Yesterdays Men"...UB40 were still playing concerts with the likes of the Pretenders, U2, Lou Reed...

A few Madness facts at this point wouldn't go amiss btw...attacks on UB40 are fine but just shows the lack of any realistic argument for Madness...or were they just the Jedward of 1982...?

This one's just for you CDfm...I know how much you love Bowie;):

you raised the issue of "selling out"...you tell me...I'm just illustrating the fact that Madness is a commercial band, who know very well how to milk it...

Of course they are a commercial band -thats what professional musicians do to earn a living -even Lenny Cohen is touring for money.

not a majority taste either though..Madness were pretty much the "band of the moment" back then..in fact, if any band comes close to X factor in terms of mainstream popularity, then it's Madness ..

I thought you were talking about the Smiths for a minute
    UB40 were still playing concerts with the likes of the Pretenders, U2, Lou Reed...

Real credibility :rolleyes:
    A few Madness facts at this point wouldn't go amiss btw...attacks on UB40 are fine but just shows the lack of any realistic argument for Madness...or were they just the Jedward of 1982...?

For a song about unmarried mothers and families look no further than Madness with this song by Suggs

However if I am looking for a cover of a 60's classic - lets see - this is how its done

They made this Tom Jones classic their own

Of course they are a commercial band -thats what professional musicians do to earn a living -even Lenny Cohen is touring for money

never had an argument with that...like I said, you raised it as an "issue"...glad we're all square on that one....let's leave the olde "sell out" debate to the Dylan Folk/Electric debate then shall we...?;)

UB40 were still playing concerts with the likes of the Pretenders, U2, Lou Reed...

Real credibility :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

In the context of this debate...."Yesterdays Men" Vs Lou Reed is credible...nuff said there...you know what I meant.

For a song about unmarried mothers and families look no further than Madness with this song by Suggs
    So heavily disguised, and promoted as a "pop song" it made zero impact from a "changing attitudes" perspective at a time when a song like that could have helped the youth of the day...but no....Madness, instead....in their infinite wisdom..... sold mugs...:pac:....retrospection is a great thing CDfm.....but as you said when you proposed this battle......"Both of these bands were a bit of fun.".....so the olde social change arguement for both of us is probably null and void...

[

So heavily disguised, and promoted as a "pop song" it made zero impact from a "changing attitudes" perspective at a time when a song like that could have helped the youth of the day...but no....Madness, instead....in their infinite wisdom..... sold mugs...:pac:....retrospection is a great thing CDfm...

The song was written by Suggs about his sister and maybe if she had had listened to her brothers records she would have learned about condoms.

A classic.

• Advertisement

[

The song was written by Suggs about his sister and maybe if she had had listened to her brothers records she would have learned about condoms.

A classic.

with 20 minutes to go before someone posts a new battle CDfm...that's a very poor argument.... personally, I would have picked "House of Fun" and the whole anti-drug connotation myself...

edit...Basta*D....god ure low.....you're good....but ure low....:D....have changed back ure video post to it's original.....just to show how low you were..

Win is definitely mine...all mine..(cue picture of Daffy Duck jumping up and down)..roll on next battle......
    btw...lmfho...

A very inflated opinion of yourself.

I won hands down. ;)

A very inflated opinion of yourself.

I won hands down. ;)

Don't stop believing...:p

Next 2-day music Paired Battle ready to take place..doesn't matter who it is as long as you're prepared to stay the course....away ya go........

Don't stop believing...:p

Next 2-day music Paired Battle ready to take place..doesn't matter who it is as long as you're prepared to stay the course....away ya go........

A bit of a Fleetwood Mac fan I think :pac:

A bit of a Fleetwood Mac fan I think :pac:

OK...so it will be done..Fleetwood Mac is one half of the next battle...who's the other half?

FM was a joke but as a match it would be the Eagles :D

How bout Guns n' Roses vs Nirvana :)

Probably Nirvana -but again, personal choice..don't have time at the moment to give reasons so hopefully someone else will run with this pairing...

Probably Nirvana -but again, personal choice..don't have time at the moment to give reasons so hopefully someone else will run with this pairing...

Ah cmon Cicero -G'n'R in their hayday could blow Nirvana off the stage and even made better drug addicts.

They set a new standard as a cover band too. You just gotta love this

Versus the Skyliners original from 1958

Or are you too much of a UB40 fan for this debate.

This rocks.

Ah cmon Cicero -G'n'R in their hayday could blow Nirvana off the stage and even made better drug addicts.

Yea, but Kurt gained eternal fame by dying young..the ultimate accolade of a true rock n roller.....Gun's & Roses have turned into a band who are afraid of a few plastic bottles being thrown at them and behave like little drama queens...:pac:

• Advertisement

Yea, but Kurt gained eternal fame by dying young..the ultimate accolade of a true rock n roller.....Gun's & Roses have turned into a band who are afraid of a few plastic bottles being thrown at them and behave like little drama queens...:pac:

Ah c'mon Cicero that was just Axl and in the original G'n'R's day they were God's.

I am not saying Nirvana were not talented but hey if I am driving G'n'R do it for me.

Anyway - I picked the bands cos I know you like cover versions and no one did 'em better than G'n'R. :D

Advertisement