Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Music Forum Paired Artist- Battle Dome-Please read 1st Post for Rules

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Sure if it's covers you're after, then look no further than your old friend David "The Bowie" Jones.....think Kurt did,not just a good job, but an even better job of this classic, than the original....think even Bowie would agree:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Nirvana were not the first to cover this & Lulu had a hit with it

The Irrepressable Peter Noone of Herman Hermits also had a hit with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Sorry to interrupt a private conversation, but....
    CDfm wrote: »
    FM was a joke but as a match it would be the Eagles :D

What????

Oh Rubik but thats the Peter Green FleetwoodMac you are taking about whereas I was talking about the post Green "Abba" Version.

Black Magic Woman is a cool song.

Rumours is the era is what I am refering too.So while I am refering to Hotel California here didn't Jackson Browne write some songs with the Eagles too.

So yes FM are not without their pop songs.

Oh Rubik but thats the Peter Green FleetwoodMac you are taking about whereas I was talking about the post Green "Abba" Version.

Ah, OK. Thats fair enough, I wouldn't be a big fan of the Nicks, Buckingham and Lindsey era either.

• Advertisement

Rubik. wrote: »
    Ah, OK. Thats fair enough, I wouldn't be a big fan of the Nicks, Buckingham and Lindsey era either.

Whenever I hear those songs and I am not a huge fan -I am sort of reminded of the Zombies and "She's not There".

Gary Moore had one of Peter Green's guitars for years didnt he and rates him highly.

But I have to say Rubik like Cicero - you have chickened out here :eek:

I didn't know about Gary Moore, but BB King said of Green "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard, he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats".

But I have to say Rubik like Cicero - you have chickened out here :eek:

How have I done that then?

I didn't know about Gary Moore, but BB King said of Green "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard, he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats".

Gary Moore had a Les Paul Peter Green used on Albatross and was Moores first decent guitar and which he recieved from Green as a gift when he moved to London.

How have I done that then?

By not defending FM against the Eagles and cherrypicking -ya know you did.

Cringe -brrrrrrrr :pac:

Not much point in trying to defend the indefensible.

Not much point in trying to defend the indefensible.

A Cliff Richard moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

God, this thread is becoming as substantial as the great wall of china, isn't it?

Anyway

The Sex Pistols vs The Clash

Due to my rather limited knowledge base in the latter, I have to go with The Sex Pistols.

With a few persuasive arguments though, I might just become something of a clash dilettante. So fire

The Sex Pistols were one hit Wonders really.

The Clash on the other hand were a real band and had a real career. Their bass player could play his instrument but really Topper Headon the drummer was one of the 70's & 80's unsong hero's and allowed the band extend their repetoire. Check out.

They were probably hampered by their leftist politics and released a lot of rubbish as filler on ill concieved double albums bother other than that accomplished more than Lydon & Co.

The Sex Pistols were one hit Wonders really.

The Clash on the other hand were a real band and had a real career. Their bass player could play his instrument but really Topper Headon the drummer was one of the 70's & 80's unsong hero's and allowed the band extend their repetoire. Check out.

They were probably hampered by their leftist politics and released a lot of rubbish as filler on ill concieved double albums bother other than that accomplished more than Lydon & Co.

Yes, classic

Yes, classic

Individually, the Sex Pistols had a great guitarist and front man. Sid & Malcolm killed the Pistols.

Lydons next band Public Image Limited shows he had talent and his mother being a Cork Woman means he is also a mean fiddle player. His Dad is a Lydon from Galway. Geldof in his book singles out Lydon as being very welcoming to the newly arrived Paddies off the boat in 1977

And of course the infamous Judge Judy case

Some trivia
    The controversial group were due to play in the 1970s when they were at the height of their fame.
    But the show was banned by the Gardai on the instructions of the Justice Department and Johnny Rotten received a six-month jail sentence for allegedly hitting a policeman at a pub along the Quays in Dublin.
    He was released after a few weeks when Richard Branson, the Virgin boss, travelled to Dublin and paid pounds 10,000 into a charity fund.

The Boomtown Rats werecontroversial & well connected and a certain Mr J Lynch TD intervened for their concerts

But the Pistols, particularly Cork-born Lydon, who fronts a programme for the music channel VH1, are determined to play in the country he calls home.

Now you know God Save the Queen is really a traditional Cork song.

More hype on the 2001 St Paddies Day Appearence that did not happen.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20010211/ai_n14524191/

Pity this threads a bit dead

Pity this threads a bit dead

It is really as this kind of thing can be a lot of fun -especially as you can have a bit of trivia thrown in.

The Boomtown Rats versus the Undertones deserves to be done.

Probably followed by Gary Moore vs Van Morrison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

It is really as this kind of thing can be a lot of fun -especially as you can have a bit of trivia thrown in.

The Boomtown Rats versus the Undertones deserves to be done.

Probably followed by Gary Moore vs Van Morrison.

Gonna go for Undertones on this one....much as I have great memories of looking at what I would consider (from memory) as being one of the first videos ever- "Don't Like Mondays"...confused the hell out of me it did,at the time...for consistency it's the Undertones....

Good choice - John Peels favorite song was Teenage Kicks but while I like them , I reckon the Boomtown Rats pip them with 2 # 1 singles "Rat Trap" and " I dont like Mondays".

They also released the wonderful Tonic For the Troops as their second album featuring the wonderful " Like Clockwork"

and this beauty " I never loved Eva Braun" - a pop song about Hitler

The Boomtown Rats were a real band and more pub rock like Dr Feelgood and the Stranglers then punk or new wave.

Advertisement