Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millimetre vs. Gauge discussion

Options
  • 15-09-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Edit: Sorry to edit your post Pierced Off but since it's now the first post I'd ask people to keep this as a discussion and not resort to name calling and the such. Respect each other's opinions and stuff. Cheers. Will.
    *stretched
    It depends on who trained you to how you describe it. My teacher was taught by a past member of Gauntlet hence we use American terms. Whether you gauge or stretch the result is the same, you still get bigger holes in your ears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Iv gone the last 2 or 3 years being told that even in America the term 'Gauging' is incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

The term "gauging" came from the american wire gauge system - further reading here. Basically instead of using millimetres they use the gauge system. So needles/jewellery start at around 18/20gauge and go down in 2's until you get to 0. Then depending on your training or personal preference you go to 00/000 etc or fractions of inches e.g 5/8" and such. Unlike the metric system which is in place everywhere else where we use millimetres to measure jewellery/needles.

Personally I cringe when I hear gauging or gauged. It is a verb as you will see below but really it's the incorrect term;
    –verb (used with object)
    to determine the exact dimensions, capacity, quantity, or force of; measure.
    to appraise, estimate, or judge.
    to make conformable to a standard.
    to mark or measure off; delineate.
    to prepare or mix (plaster) with a definite proportion of plaster of Paris and mortar.
    to chip or rub (bricks or stones) to a uniform size or shape.
    –noun
    a standard of measure or measurement.
    a standard dimension, size, or quantity.
    any device or instrument for measuring, registering measurements, or testing something, esp. for measuring a dimension, quantity, or mechanical accuracy: pressure gauge; marking gauge.
    a means of estimating or judging; criterion; test.
    extent; scope; capacity: trying to determine the gauge of his own strength.
    Ordnance . a unit of measure of the internal diameter of a shotgun barrel, determined by the number of spherical lead bullets of a diameter equal to that of the bore that are required to make one pound: a twelve-gauge shotgun.
    Railroads . the distance between the inner edges of the heads of the rails in a track, usually 4 ft. 8.5 in. (1.4 m) (standard gauge), but sometimes more (broad gauge) and sometimes less (narrow gauge).
    the distance between a pair of wheels on an axle.
    the thickness or diameter of various, usually thin, objects, as the thickness of sheet metal or the diameter of a wire or screw.
    the fineness of a knitted fabric as expressed in loops per every 1.5 in. (3.8 cm): 15 denier, 60 gauge stockings.
    Nautical . the position of one vessel as being to the windward (weather gauge) or to the leeward (lee gauge) of another vessel on an approximately parallel course.
    Building Trades . the portion of the length of a slate, tile, etc., left exposed when laid in place.
    the amount of plaster of Paris mixed with mortar or common plaster to hasten the set.

However there are still pockets in the states and canada that use it, most are berated for it. Anywho this is just me being nerdy, use whatever word you want :) same result at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

As someone from outside the body modification industry, I just try my best not to look the fool in the eyes of my piercer/tattoo artist. I would have viewed saying 'gauging,' as being akin to saying 'tattoo gun,' which Iv seen people being absolutely abused for. :)

edit: I fear we've gone about a mile off topic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

As I said, old school teacher taught by older school yank. One of the main reasons I use gauge rather than stretch is stretch sounds a lot more painful to the uninitiated. Gauge sounds easier, smoother almost. As for what the "body modification industry" feels, if you don't work in one of a half dozen shops in this country, then you're not seen as part of the "Industry" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Iv gone the last 2 or 3 years being told that even in America the term 'Gauging' is incorrect.

It goes by both here in Chicago. Though frankly, the most used term is "those damn holes everyones got in their ears", followed by a semi disgusted look and the proclamation that the offender is some form of hoodrat destined to live in their mothers basement well past their 40th birthday :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

skywards wrote: »
    It goes by both here in Chicago. Though frankly, the most used term is "those damn holes everyones got in their ears", followed by a semi disgusted look and the proclamation that the offender is some form of hoodrat destined to live in their mothers basement well past their 40th birthday :pac:.
    Doesn hoodrat refer to females who have sex with a load of guys from the one neighbourhood?

Now I'm not saying I know more about the hardstreets and it's slang than the jockeys out there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gonna move threads in here from the other thread, hang on!

moderation win! yus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Doesn hoodrat refer to females who have sex with a load of guys from the one neighbourhood?

Now I'm not saying I know more about the hardstreets and it's slang than the jockeys out there :P

You shut your tall mouth 'for I slap it!

I have no idea what it was originally, you could be right. No slang terms around here stay the same for long 'cause no ones smart enough to remember the original definition. Either that or they have memories like mine. Good, just short :pac:.

Advertisement