Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway

Options
  • 26-09-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I have applied for a job in Norway and just want to find out has anyone got any experience of living in Norway?
    I heard its mad dear to live there, but that does not bother me as iam in serious of employment at this stage;)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

I am living in Norway near Oslo at the moment, what kind of job did you apply for and where?

Cost of living is very high but so are the wages in order to make up for that (even with high tax). Also transferring money back to Euro is good at the moment in terms of the exchange rate. There's also social healthcare etc.

Not sure exactly what you want to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Iv applied for work in the construction sector doing concrete form work.
    There was a number of place they said you could be, 2 places above the arttic circle and 1 in south Norway. I cant think of the place names?

Just looking to find out what in general Norway is like and what the people are like. Is it easy to get by with just speaking english?

skipz wrote: »

Just looking to find out what in general Norway is like and what the people are like. Is it easy to get by with just speaking english?

Norwegians tend to learn english in school and a lot of the American shows on tv here are english subtitled in Norwegian so most people have some standard of it. So yes you can get by with just English especially near the bigger cities, not sure what it is like in more local regional areas where the demand on them to speak it might be much less.

Life in Norway is different, there is way less of a pub culture (purely due to cost of alcohol) and more drinking in peoples houses. Norwegians can be very hard to get to know, they tend to take time to make friends and stick with their old friends a lot more. There is some amount of culture shock involved in moving here.

Also the winter takes a lot of getting used to, layering up just to leave the house, having to walk slowly everywhere so you don't fall on the snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

haven27 wrote: »
    Norwegians tend to learn english in school and a lot of the American shows on tv here are english subtitled in Norwegian so most people have some standard of it. So yes you can get by with just English especially near the bigger cities, not sure what it is like in more local regional areas where the demand on them to speak it might be much less.

Life in Norway is different, there is way less of a pub culture (purely due to cost of alcohol) and more drinking in peoples houses. Norwegians can be very hard to get to know, they tend to take time to make friends and stick with their old friends a lot more. There is some amount of culture shock involved in moving here.

Also the winter takes a lot of getting used to, layering up just to leave the house, having to walk slowly everywhere so you don't fall on the snow and ice.

Norwegians can be very hard to get to know, they tend to take time to make friends and stick with their old friends a lot more. There is some amount of culture shock involved in moving here.

Well i am sorry to hear that,it depends i guess in what part of the country you are in.If you are in Oslo you can forget about it,but if you move to the west i am sure they are more used to english speaking there.I know quite a few Irish in Norway,and they all seem to get along just fine with my countrymen,but thats in Stavanger,the oil capital,a bit more international influence maybe there i guess.

• Advertisement

I know quite a few Irish in Norway,and they all seem to get along just fine with my countrymen,but thats in Stavanger,the oil capital,a bit more international influence maybe there i guess.

It wasn't meant to sound like it's hard to get along with Norwegians, more like there isn't the kind of immediate friendships like the ones that occur in Ireland in the pub after a few drinks :)

It wasn't meant to sound like it's hard to get along with Norwegians, more like there isn't the kind of immediate friendships like the ones that occur in Ireland in the pub after a few drinks :)

True,but what i meant to say,that not everyone is like that,so if if you have anything i can help you with,dont hesitate to PM me,and ill be more than happy to help you in anyway i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Interesting point. I am moving to Oslo at the end of the year, and I was having this very discussion with some other Irish people who are moving. Yes, Norwegians are difficult to get to know, and they are slightly less forthcoming with their friendship. But there is a great myth in Ireland that we Irish are very friendly and easy to meet. I have many international friends and they all agree that Irish people are very hard to be mates with, because of language issues and the fact that they already have a school, college, work circle of friends. You may get an immediate friendship in a pub, but you will never hear of them again.

I have found that with Norwegians, while it takes longer to get to know them, they are much more genuine that Irish people.

Interesting point. I am moving to Oslo at the end of the year, and I was having this very discussion with some other Irish people who are moving. Yes, Norwegians are difficult to get to know, and they are slightly less forthcoming with their friendship. But there is a great myth in Ireland that we Irish are very friendly and easy to meet. I have many international friends and they all agree that Irish people are very hard to be mates with, because of language issues and the fact that they already have a school, college, work circle of friends. You may get an immediate friendship in a pub, but you will never hear of them again.

I have found that with Norwegians, while it takes longer to get to know them, they are much more genuine that Irish people.

That is probably both true and not true.
    I know some Norwegians can be a bit hard to get to know,that doesnt only go for an Irishman,even for a Norwegian.
    But like me who have travelled the world a few times,get to know people from another perspective i guess,and after living in Ireland for 10 years i think both Irish and Norwegian are both the very same.

True,but what i meant to say,that not everyone is like that,so if if you have anything i can help you with,dont hesitate to PM me,and ill be more than happy to help you in anyway i can.

Thank you :) it wasn't meant to sound like I'm unhappy here or with the people, just more to prepare a new person to the reality that coming here it can take time to make friends and adjust to the culture and the language barrier (I find you miss out on something when non work related conversations are in Norsk) but that is the same anywhere I think.

I think how genuine a person is can't be based on the whole culture :) As for moving to Oslo at the end of the year. I would say bring a lot of warm clothes, January last year was between -10 to -20 all month :).

• Advertisement

Thank you :) it wasn't meant to sound like I'm unhappy here or with the people, just more to prepare a new person to the reality that coming here it can take time to make friends and adjust to the culture and the language barrier (I find you miss out on something when non work related conversations are in Norsk) but that is the same anywhere I think.

I think how genuine a person is can't be based on the whole culture :) As for moving to Oslo at the end of the year. I would say bring a lot of warm clothes, January last year was between -10 to -20 all month :).

Wish you the best of luck mate.take care and stay away from them crazy blondes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Hi everyone

I am looking for any good recruitment agencies in Oslo.Also would like to know if there are any
    employers who are looking for manual workers in sectors like construction,transport,fisheries,factory etc

thank you

Hi everyone

I am looking for any good recruitment agencies in Oslo.Also would like to know if there are any
    employers who are looking for manual workers in sectors like construction,transport,fisheries,factory etc

thank you

Try nav.no

They cover anything all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Three Sheets

I have lived in Norway myself and I agree with Haven, "Cost of living is very high but so are the wages in order to make up for that ... "

I must say that English is widely spoken and undertood anywhere in Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. Yes, even in the rural areas.

As far as the friendliness of Norwegians goes, I find them the most friendly, helpful, and charming of all Scandinavia (I'm Swedish myself) and I love them for their quaint and simple demeaner. I rate Norwegians the most lovely people of all Europe. :):):)

I have lived in Norway myself and I agree with Haven, "Cost of living is very high but so are the wages in order to make up for that ... "

I must say that English is widely spoken and undertood anywhere in Norway, Denmark, and Sweden. Yes, even in the rural areas.

As far as the friendliness of Norwegians goes, I find them the most friendly, helpful, and charming of all Scandinavia (I'm Swedish myself) and I love them for their quaint and simple demeaner. I rate Norwegians the most lovely people of all Europe. :):):)

Thanks mate.
    I am working with swedes on the ship i am captain of in the North sea.They are truly my"brothers".Best in the world to work with the swedes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Fantastic thread. Just what I was looking for. Great inputs, particularly from Norwayviking. I also applied for a job in Norway (Hammerfest) and was accepted. Unfortunately, the Arctic climate is too severe for this Irish girl. I'm moving to Oslo in early 2011. I'm starting a Norwegian course next week. I already know a good bit of the language, but it'll be a big advantage to speak Norwegian confidently.
    I have to disagree with you here. I found almost all Norwegians I met to be extremely friendly. They are, by far, the nicest people I've had the pleasure of meeting. They're a lot nicer than a lot of Irish people from my experience.

OP - I wish you the very best of luck. From what I've seen, you'll be fine with just English. Although Norwegians appreciate when foreigners at least attempt to speak Norwegian. I'm sure you'll pick it up in time though. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

its harder to make freinds, but when you do it will be a freind for life

Overature wrote: »
    its harder to make freinds, but when you do it will be a freind for life

Yeah we are a bit slow to start out with,but once we get to know eachother you will be allright.Thats a promise.:)

'Under A Funeral Moon' are you doing the course in Sandford Language Institute?

'Under A Funeral Moon' are you doing the course in Sandford Language Institute?

Yeah. It's starting next Tuesday. €280.

• Advertisement

Yeah. It's starting next Tuesday. €280.

Hmmm its come down in price so. I did it 2 years back and it was €350. And then you gotta pay for the book which is €40. YOu doing beginners or intermediate?

Hmmm its come down in price so. I did it 2 years back and it was €350. And then you gotta pay for the book which is €40. YOu doing beginners or intermediate?

Looks like I got a bargain so, haha. Was it worth €350? Is the course any good? I'm doing the beginners course. I already know a good bit, but I'm struggling with pronunciation. Hopefully the course will help with that.

Looks like I got a bargain so, haha. Was it worth €350? Is the course any good? I'm doing the beginners course. I already know a good bit, but I'm struggling with pronunciation. Hopefully the course will help with that.

Was it worth €700 over 2 terms. In short, no. But it is the only Norwegian course in Dublin! You will read a lot from the book in Norwegian, so that may help your pronunciation. It is less of a class, and more a facilitated reading session. But its the best way to motivate yourself to learn the language, and I am sure you will get something from it. Small classes are a good thing, and 80% of the participats will be there cos their other half is Norwegian!

Was it worth €700 over 2 terms. In short, no. But it is the only Norwegian course in Dublin! You will read a lot from the book in Norwegian, so that may help your pronunciation. It is less of a class, and more a facilitated reading session. But its the best way to motivate yourself to learn the language, and I am sure you will get something from it. Small classes are a good thing, and 80% of the participats will be there cos their other half is Norwegian!

Thanks for the honesty and the feedback, much appreciated. I'll give it my best shot anyway. I'm looking forward to it. Small classes are definitely an advantage. :)

Thanks for the honesty and the feedback, much appreciated. I'll give it my best shot anyway. I'm looking forward to it. Small classes are definitely an advantage. :)

They also do Norwegian courses for foreign workers in Norway.
    Some are free some are not.

Here is a link.

http://www.norsk-kurs.no//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28

They also do Norwegian courses for foreign workers in Norway.
    Some are free some are not.

Here is a link.

http://www.norsk-kurs.no//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=28

That's great, thanks for the information. I'll definitely avail of one of those courses. You're a star! :D

Most Norwegian courses are not free to EU citizen any more unfortunately, know people who took the courses with the Folkeuniversitetet which are good. They are expensive though at 4600 nok for 7 weeks two evenings a week (though they do intensive day courses as well). There's some info about them and a link to a placement test which might be worth doing before you sign up for more. I also know someone who contacted them and said I don't know what level I'm at and got the opportunity to just come in sit in on a class to see could they handle it.

http://www.fuoslo.no/default.asp?avd=79&nyh=3042

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look also at http://www.finn.no/jobb/ there are a surprising amount of job adverts in English (even though fluent English and Norwegian is required :confused:)

Finn.no is also an excellent site for property (like daft.ie or myhome.ie), it will give you an idea of rents etc.

Dyflin wrote: »
    Have a look also at http://www.finn.no/jobb/ there are a surprising amount of job adverts in English (even though fluent English and Norwegian is required :confused:)

Finn.no is also an excellent site for property (like daft.ie or myhome.ie), it will give you an idea of rents etc.

Thank you. I have bookmarked that site, my friend put me on to it a while ago. I've been searching for reasonably priced apartments in Oslo. Seems to be a tall order! Looks like I may have to share a place.

• Advertisement

I've been searching for reasonably priced apartments in Oslo. Seems to be a tall order! Looks like I may have to share a place.

You might check http://www.hybel.no/ its free to advertise (unlike finn) so is more shared places. As for price of rent alone I'd say at a guess 7000 upwards to get some place grand but small enough near Oslo. Don't live in Oslo itself so can't say for sure though.

Advertisement