Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

haven27 wrote: »
    You might check http://www.hybel.no/ its free to advertise (unlike finn) so is more shared places. As for price of rent alone I'd say at a guess 7000 upwards to get some place grand but small enough near Oslo. Don't live in Oslo itself so can't say for sure though.

Great, thanks. I'll check it out after work this evening. You're a gem! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

do irish people need a visa to work in norway? norway is in the EEA so im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

do irish people need a visa to work in norway? norway is in the EEA so im not sure

No visa required. You can stay 6 months in the country without a job also.

are there many irish poeple in norway? and are jobs easily to find?

and i was wondering would it be difficult find a summer job in Norway without being able to speak Norwegian?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

There is an Irish community in Norway but much smaller than those you would see in the countries people tend to go to e.g. Australia. Unless you are a skilled worker, jobs are hard to come by for foreigners as most young Norwegians are awesome English speakers which means speaking English fluently is not even an advantage.

• Advertisement

are there many irish poeple in norway? and are jobs easily to find?

and i was wondering would it be difficult find a summer job in Norway without being able to speak Norwegian?

Some Irish in Norway, but have never met any. There are many jobs in Norway but you really need norwegian. They favour their own here, or at least Scandinavians. It takes a while to get set up with job etc. Summer jobs are available, but because of the ammount of Swedes who come to work here (and who speak scandinavian), the jobs open to english only speaking are scarse and pertty poor (newspaper delivery etc).

Some Irish in Norway, but have never met any. There are many jobs in Norway but you really need norwegian. They favour their own here, or at least Scandinavians. It takes a while to get set up with job etc. Summer jobs are available, but because of the ammount of Swedes who come to work here (and who speak scandinavian), the jobs open to english only speaking are scarse and pertty poor (newspaper delivery etc).

why did u choose to move to norway? did it take you long to learn Norwegian and do you need a good level of Norwegian b4 u can to Norway?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭pa12

hi everyone,have a job offer from an agency in oslo and was considering it,offering digs with the job(plumbing) and was wondering wat it would be like or would i be mad to go,possible for only a short time even?

why did u choose to move to norway? did it take you long to learn Norwegian and do you need a good level of Norwegian b4 u can to Norway?

I live here because my wife is Norwegian. To get a good level of Norwegian, written and spoken, you probably need 18 months, with 3 months full time intensive course to start. If you speak German, you may need less.
    pa12 wrote: »
    hi everyone,have a job offer from an agency in oslo and was considering it,offering digs with the job(plumbing) and was wondering wat it would be like or would i be mad to go,possible for only a short time even?

What do you mean 'what would it be like'? Do you mean weather, people, food, money, language, social life, work?

sorry,yea work.what tax have you to pay,any idea wat agency work would be like.is there a lot of work in norway(oslo area) .thanks:confused:;)

• Advertisement

pa12 wrote: »
    sorry,yea work.what tax have you to pay,any idea wat agency work would be like.is there a lot of work in norway(oslo area) .thanks:confused:;)

I dont quite know exact tax rates, but it is one of the highest in the world. I think its in the mid 30's, ie 32-36%. Agency work is grand, they employ you and pay you and hourly rate which is probably not wonderful in Norwegian terms but is probably massive in Irish terms. There are lots of jobs in Norway for unskilled and manual labour where Norwegian is not required, or so I believe. There is no recession in Norway, so that is always a positive, but be aware that everything roughly cost double that of Irish prices.

I dont quite know exact tax rates, but it is one of the highest in the world. I think its in the mid 30's, ie 32-36%. Agency work is grand, they employ you and pay you and hourly rate which is probably not wonderful in Norwegian terms but is probably massive in Irish terms. There are lots of jobs in Norway for unskilled and manual labour where Norwegian is not required, or so I believe. There is no recession in Norway, so that is always a positive, but be aware that everything roughly cost double that of Irish prices.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

The tax rate is 36% but as a foreign worker you are entitled to 10% tax paid back up to 40,000 nok for the first two years. I have never worked for an agency but I am guessing if they can confirm they will be able to get you work then you will be grand. Finding jobs here without norwegian even unskilled can be difficult. If you can work out what the average wage you would come out with after tax then you would have a better idea of if it would be worth it. Also as mentioned things do cost about double as they do in Ireland, a mortgage is nearly required for a proper night out over here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

For foreigners who wants to work in Norway, the following link
    can be useful

got this link http://www.nav.no/English from http://www.gray-select.no/index.cfm?id=88503

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Advertisement