Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets inside house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I honestly think all homes should have a pet. Its just not the same without a cat or a dog strolling around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Any pet that I have ever had has always been primarily based outside. I think it can be cruel at times to keep a dog or a cat totally confined to a house. I would often bring the dog in doors for a few hours especially on a winters night but their main home should be outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I would often bring the dog in doors for a few hours especially on a winters night but their main home should be outdoors.

That's no way to speak about your OH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I have two cats. I have a catflap in my back door, unfortunately I had to close it at night.... the reason - they were catching rabbits, dragging them into the house (alive) and murdering them in my hallway.

Morning time, I walk down the stairs to be confronted by a trail of blood and bits of fur and entrails everywhere.:eek::eek::eek:

After 3 similar episodes, one involving a pigeon, I decided to close the flap before I go to bed. At first I kept them in at night but they cried and meowed to get out. Now I have a strange arrangement - they can come in and out of the house as they please during the day, they sleep either on my sofa or out in the greenhouse - wherever it suits them. Then at night they are out hunting (cats are nocturnal anyway) and they are free to kill and maim as they please and Not In My Feckin Hallway!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    comparing your dogs to weapons is just reinforcing the steriotype.

Of what? Any cop will tell you that having a good-sized dog is better than having an alarm system or a gun in the house for break-ins. I love that when I am at my parents house by myself there is a 130-pound monster there with me...even if I know that he would probably slobber an intruder to death rather than attack them.
    ===
    Anyway, I think the in/out house question for dogs is cultural. My father's family is from a very rural part of the US, and they looooove their dogs (especially their hunting hounds), but dogs are not allowed in the house. The dogs can run amok in their kennels and through the woods. Plus they are down in the backwoods and it's hot as hell so everyone spends most of the day in the yard or on the porch anyway. This way, the dogs aren't lonely, and fleas, ticks, and mud don't get in the house. Everyone wins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

No need for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

always have my dogs in, but never cats (for the brief peiod i had them). only ever put the dogs out when they start losing hair.

a mate of mine always has cats in, they sleep on his bed, get in and out of the windows and are fed on his kitchen counter top and sit on top of the cabinets, putting cat hair EVERYWHRE :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pfft. My dog sleeps in my wardrobe. Sometimes I wake up and she's sleeping at the end of my bed. Not manky...so cuuute!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

All dogs are territorial and will protect their house from unwanted intruders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I honestly think all homes should have a pet. Its just not the same without a cat or a dog strolling around the place.

I actually do get uneasy when I notice there's absolutely no pets in a house. :eek:

I don't know why. I guess there's this deep-seated lack of trust towards people who don't like animals. Not sure if it's justified or not. :pac:

EDIT: I suppose I do know why. People who don't like animals have either a) never had an animal or b) are relatively cold in personality. Group a bothers me because how can they know til they have one? And group b frankly scares the bollocks out of me. Compassion for other life forms is a positive trait and shows a greater empathy and understanding for the world in general. I don't like cold, calculating people; they unnerve me, I can't trust them.

The bacteria bit in the OP made me lol though. OCD for sure. Bacteria's everywhere, buddy, and the more you try to keep yourself away from it the sicker it's going to make you when you do come in contact. I'm rarely sick, never been hospitalized or down for more than 2-3 days with an illness, and I attribute a lot of that to the awesome immune system my "dirty, disgusting" dogs and general barn kid upbringing gave me. Actually astonishes me how many people are OCD about bacteria. It's good for you, you silly twits! Vaccines et al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a greater weapon than my dogs - I make my dogs look tough ;)

If I wanted guard dogs I'd have a genuinely vicious dog - two Jack Russell Terriers, or a Westhighland Terrier, it certainly wouldn't be Pits & Staffs.

Oh yea, I wouldn't sleep tight then - because Westies are noisy little bolloxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Superbus wrote: »

Horses - too far.

In some parts of Dublin they come closer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Is it just me or is the idea of having your pet dog inside the house absolutely disgusting and dirty?? The thought of a dog inside bringing in the bacteria from outside, dog hairs, etc...

I've been hearing a lot of people then going one step further and bringing their dogs to bed with them; either at the end of the bed or on the bed itself, sleeping inbetween the couple?

I dont know if I'm the weirdo and if this is seen as normal or cute?

I see it a perfectly normal.
    What I find weird id keeping a pet and then keeping it outside only in the Irish weather.... what's the point of having a pet in the first place if you don't have it in the house?

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Any pet that I have ever had has always been primarily based outside. I think it can be cruel at times to keep a dog or a cat totally confined to a house. I would often bring the dog in doors for a few hours especially on a winters night but their main home should be outdoors.

Why would they be confined to the house, just because they're let inside whenever they feel like it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My friend has two cats and there's cat hair everywhere, their drinking bowl thing is on the same table she eats off and the sand box is in the middle of the kitchen, It's disgusting!
    Other friend has dog and he lives in the house, free to wonder around and he's filthy! Ick!
    Animals belong outside or in an allocated room, definitely not in the kitchen around food!
    If you rub an animal it leaves a fine layer of stinky grease on your hand, I don't own an animal, so maybe I'm more aware of it but it takes at least three handwashes to get rid of it and it feels awful on my skin!
    Just for the record I love animals but I know I couldn't stick living with one!

Is it just me or is the idea of having your pet dog inside the house absolutely disgusting and dirty??

Just you OP
    I can't imagine the thought of our poor doggys outside in the freezing cold for too long.

I also have no idea how people keep dogs without getting to know them. They're so expressive. Our two would nearly talk to you, and they're very clever. I used to have them sleep on my bed but they snug up in their own bed now.

My friend has two cats and there's cat hair everywhere, their drinking bowl thing is on the same table she eats off and the sand box is in the middle of the kitchen, It's disgusting!
    Other friend has dog and he lives in the house, free to wonder around and he's filthy! Ick!
    Animals belong outside or in an allocated room, definitely not in the kitchen around food!
    If you rub an animal it leaves a fine layer of stinky grease on your hand, I don't own an animal, so maybe I'm more aware of it but it takes at least three handwashes to get rid of it and it feels awful on my skin!
    Just for the record I love animals but I know I couldn't stick living with one!

Just because your friends don't know how to keep animals doesn't mean they're all like that.

Well.. cats, yeah, they're pretty much all like that. I'm living with two now and while they can be cute and amusing and all they're so not worth the hassle, they get up on EVERYTHING and are way too stubborn for training.

Dogs can be trained and you can get both cats and dogs in hairless or non-shed varieties if hair is the concern.

Tell your friends to give their animals baths if you're getting greasy just touching them! That's rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Just you

liah wrote: »
    Well.. cats, yeah, they're pretty much all like that. I'm living with two now and while they can be cute and amusing and all they're so not worth the hassle, they get up on EVERYTHING and are way too stubborn for training.

I'd contest that.
    Mine are by no means getting up on everything, the kitchen surfaces are out of limits to them, and at least while I'm at home they stick to that.
    It helps not keeping anything of interest to them on top of the counter or on the table.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd contest that.
    Mine are by no means getting up on everything, the kitchen surfaces are out of limits to them, and at least while I'm at home they stick to that.
    It helps not keeping anything of interest to them on top of the counter or on the table.

Guarantee they're sitting on your kitchen table and counters while you're out. :pac: They're spiteful things, cats. They let you THINK you have control, but really, they own you. And they know it.

Also, space is limited, there's nowhere else to put things that may be interesting.

Friggin' cats.

...cute though. :o

• Advertisement

Just because your friends don't know how to keep animals doesn't mean they're all like that.

Dogs can be trained and you can get both cats and dogs in hairless or non-shed varieties if hair is the concern.

Tell your friends to give their animals baths if you're getting greasy just touching them! That's rank.

Oooo I'd love a hairless cat, I think they look cool but I'm told they're even
    harder work as they're quite delicate. I have asthma so cats are out for me anyway : ( but I volunteer with horses and love that. Still stink though!

I've seen a huge number of people including my husbands aunt who is a vet look after their animals similar to my friend and I'm told ( by said vet)it's not good for the animal to wash the grease off as it protects their skin and insulates them.

harder work as they're quite delicate. I have asthma so cats are out for me anyway : ( but I volunteer with horses and love that. Still stink though!

I've seen a huge number of people including my husbands aunt who is a vet look after their animals similar to my friend and I'm told ( by said vet)it's not good for the animal to wash the grease off as it protects their skin and insulates them.

Oh dear, yes, an elderly friend of my mothers was told that by a vet in the 70s in Germany. Her dog was the stinkiest thing I've ever, EVER come across...

When it got so bad that the lady's children refused to come visit because the house stank too badly, we abducted the dog and had him washed. Did him no harm whatsoever, and he got weekly baths till he died of ripe old age years later...

Well there's natural oil that ALL hair has (even yours), and actual grease. My dogs' coats are all very soft and smooth, not greasy to the touch at all. Still have that bit of natural oil though, it's not like we bathe them every day.

Horses, imo, really don't stink. I quite like their smell, especially their breath. And the inevitable smell of leather that follows. It's kind of a soft, warm smell. Could be a totally acquired thing, though, I have worked with horses most of my life. Their sh!t has to be far and away the least offensive-smelling large animal sh!t, ever.

Guess my point is, once you get used to smells they don't bother you and trust me, having a pet is WELL worth the short time it takes to get over that bollocks.

And as long as you're not a germ freak I don't see them as dirty, either. Sure, they shed, but some breeds don't shed, or only shed very lightly. And just get one to match your carpet, sorted :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

My dogs and cat are in the house all the time - never had any problems with them, when they want to go out they let me know. They're very vlean - more clean than a lot of humans I know.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Oh dear, yes, an elderly friend of my mothers was told that by a vet in the 70s in Germany. Her dog was the stinkiest thing I've ever, EVER come across...

When it got so bad that the lady's children refused to come visit because the house stank too badly, we abducted the dog and had him washed. Did him no harm whatsoever, and he got weekly baths till he died of ripe old age years later...

Well, I didn't mean never wash them haha but frequent washing isn't supposed to be great for animals.

Guess my point is, once you get used to smells they don't bother you and trust me, having a pet is WELL worth the short time it takes to get over that bollocks.

And as long as you're not a germ freak I don't see them as dirty, either. Sure, they shed, but some breeds don't shed, or only shed very lightly. And just get one to match your carpet, sorted :pac:
    Well, like I said I have asthma so it's not a case of getting used to anything, it's a case of not ending up on a ventilator. Love to have one but sadly can't.

Also, matching carpets up to cat hair so you can't see the hair........... Eeeeeeeeeeew!

Well, like I said I have asthma so it's not a case of getting used to anything, it's a case of not ending up on a ventilator. Love to have one but sadly can't.

Also, matching carpets up to cat hair so you can't see the hair........... Eeeeeeeeeeew!

Yet you can work with horses? Weird, horsey environments throw up SO much hay, dust, dander, hair. Must be something different in the fur compared to cats/dogs.

I thought hypoallergenic and/or non-shed dogs and cats were okay for people with allergies/asthma? Or is it just the general extra dander/dust? I'm totally clueless.

(and the carpets thing was a joke! though there were many times when we wished for black carpets when houseguests unexpectedly dropped by before vaccuuming.. :o)

Well, I didn't mean never wash them haha but frequent washing isn't supposed to be great for animals.

I wouldn't wash a cat, now, in fairness.
    But I don't like the smell of dogs, so I appreciate my mum washing her dog once a week.

Mind you, I remember when I was growing up people (including doctors!) would tell you that you should have a shower each day, and should only wash your hair every three days or so, to "keep the natural balance". I've got a feeling that the "don't wash your animals too often" hails from the same kind of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

We keep our cats indoors mostly. They can go in and out as they please. Have had to stop letting them out at night because

A) Fred is a big Mary, and gets his ass kicked by another cat, and ending up down at the vet with cat bites.

B)Trix now decides she wants in at 5 in the morning, and doesn't shut up. Its mildly annoying.

So now, they go out during the day/evening, and they're tucked up in bed at night. If I'm working nights, the Mrs lets them sleep with her, as its company. If I'm there its rare that they sleep with us, as Fred likes to play at about 5, and jumps on my head.

Their bed is in the kitchen, as is the litter tray. They know not to get up on the counters. They probably dance on them when I'm away though.

Stupid cats. You don't own them, they keep you around because they haven't figured out how to get food from the shops just yet or change the litter tray. They can open presses, open bags, open food pouches and play with balls. I'm just there as a source of amusement for Trixie, and as a source of food for Fred.

I like them. Still prefer dogs though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Horses, imo, really don't stink. I quite like their smell, especially their breath. And the inevitable smell of leather that follows. It's kind of a soft, warm smell. Could be a totally acquired thing, though, I have worked with horses most of my life. Their sh!t has to be far and away the least offensive-smelling large animal sh!t, ever.

i have grown fond of the smell of horse sh!t :o it's just so grassy and nice..

Advertisement