Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets inside house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Discodog wrote: »
    whilst another keeps his dog on the common 10ft chain all day & night.

This makes me very sad, I really hate seeing this.

My brother reluctantly has to put his fellas in a Pen when he goes away for a while, but I think the whole perimeter chain is horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My house is full with animals. Cats, dogs, Guinea Pigs etc. And I must say, there are some people who would NOT be allowed to pass my doorstep for hygienic reasons ;).

They are companion animals, 'tis kind of self-explanatory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is it just me or is the idea of having your pet dog inside the house absolutely disgusting and dirty?? The thought of a dog inside bringing in the bacteria from outside, dog hairs, etc...

I've been hearing a lot of people then going one step further and bringing their dogs to bed with them; either at the end of the bed or on the bed itself, sleeping inbetween the couple?

I dont know if I'm the weirdo and if this is seen as normal or cute?

You'd think having pets in the house is a new phenomenon the OP has just discovered :D. My nan had chickens, ducks and allsorts wandering in and out of the front hall and I've yet to see a cleaner house. Last week I had a man walk straight into my house with boots caked in mud and walk right into my sitting room, I still haven't managed to get all of it off the carpet. He then had the nerve to tell me my dog had no business on the sofa and should be outside:confused: She lives here, he doesn't, so he can feck off :p If you don't like people who have pets in their house OP, don't go into their house :rolleyes:

I brought a pony into my kitchen once but she didn't like it, the tiles were too hard on her feet so she just stays out in her warm comfy stable with its nice soft bed now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I brought a pony into my kitchen once but she didn't like it, the tiles were too hard on her feet so she just stays out in her warm comfy stable with its nice soft bed now :D

haha, jaysus, this gave me a chuckle! :D you're daft! :D

haha, jaysus, this gave me a chuckle! :D you're daft! :D

I don't know anyone who has a small pony that hasn't tried it once on a day they were bored with nothing to do :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

seamus wrote: »
    Please note that this thread was started in After Hours and moved here this morning (27/09/2010). Go easy on some of the posters...!

Was wondering why my post was edited...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

I don't know anyone who has a small pony that hasn't tried it once on a day they were bored with nothing to do :P

So true! Our shetland pony was in our kitchen several times over the years. We also have a picture of her standing in the hallway looking over the halfdoor into the yard...
    Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

When I was a kid my mother used to spend half her day chasing the pony out of the kitchen. His previous owners had taught him to open the doors, possibly why they sold him :D

hadook wrote: »
    When I was a kid my mother used to spend half her day chasing the pony out of the kitchen. His previous owners had taught him to open the doors, possibly why they sold him :D

I doubt they would have needed to teach him much, After experimenting with every type of bolt and device for closing gates and stable doors the only thing that works to keep one of mine in is the old fashioned padlock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

hadook wrote: »

Haha thats gas! :D I thought my friend was bad because she had to change all the door handles in her house to round knobs because her labrador had learned how to open the handles and would regularly let herself outside for a wander!

• Advertisement

i've been to houses with pets inside, hated it. it didn't matter how clean the animals were, the house always had an animal smell

Last place I was in with a dog, an old english sheepdog (dulux dog), and it was in heat. was disgusting, spots of blood all over the house

Made my excuses and left

I plan on getting 2 dogs when the kids are a bit older and they'll be outside dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

have dog myself and he is mainly indoors, he is cleaner than some ppl I know. he gets regularly groomed and even has his own deodorant. My place doesnt smell or be dirty because of him. We walk dirt into our homes all the time with our shoes etc. We also have dif Dust & dirt gets in through vents and windows which is more harmful than what a pet carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Right - I've been put in my place a number of times since opening this thread and to be honest, I was expecting a lot of the replies I got such as "you, your partner, family bring dirt in yourselves, etc.. so I must definitely be a minority. I still find something "icky" about a pet on your bed sleeping with you but most of you seem perfectly fine with this :p

A number of things I've just noticed looking back over the previous posts..
    1) I didn't post here...I posted in After Hours but moved here for some reason so take it easy - it wasn't directed at you people who would marry their cat\dog if they were allowed
    2) Someonesaid "why get a pet if your going to keep them outside all the time". I dont have any pets...I was merely speaking as someone who goes to peoples houses from time to time and notice things. I couldn't ever do what some of them do
    3) Tallon - thanks for defending me a few times back there - t'was getting hairy at some points

I guess I'll just have to work on my little affliction. I just hope beyond hope - that with the necessary support from boards.ie, I will someday be able to walk to streets without hanging my head in shame for being just a little bit cleaner than all of you

Good afternoon everyone - I'm off to tuck in Fido :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

3) Tallon - thanks for defending me a few times back there - t'was getting hairy at some points

You raised a valid argument, just phrased it wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

it wasn't directed at you people who would marry their cat\dog if they were allowed

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We can only wish :p

Right - I've been put in my place a number of times since opening this thread and to be honest, I was expecting a lot of the replies I got such as "you, your partner, family bring dirt in yourselves, etc.

<snip>

I posted in After Hours but moved here for some reason so take it easy

To be honest you have gotten away very lightly because the thread started off in AH

2) Someone said "why get a pet if your going to keep them outside all the time"
    Other people have said they keep pets outside and I suspect this was directed at them, not you.

<snip>I just hope beyond hope - that with the necessary support from boards.ie, I will someday be able to walk to streets without hanging my head in shame for being just a little bit cleaner than all of you

That is the first derogatory comment I recall seeing on this thread and it was posted by you and directed at every single person who has posted saying they have pets in their house, or do you feel you are cleaner than the whole rest of the human race? :rolleyes:

Just as a matter of interest OP do you have kids? If so, are you saying you wouldn't be at all offended if someone started a similar thread stating that they are sick of visiting peoples houses that have these germ-ridden muck-magnets in them?? Just wondering because there are plenty of people that have a similar view of kids but it's more of a taboo to post a thread like that on the internet, I don't know why but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i've been to houses with pets inside, hated it. it didn't matter how clean the animals were, the house always had an animal smell

Last place I was in with a dog, an old english sheepdog (dulux dog), and it was in heat. was disgusting, spots of blood all over the house

Made my excuses and left

I plan on getting 2 dogs when the kids are a bit older and they'll be outside dogs.

That's not really the dog's fault though is it? More to do with the owners not cleaning up after her?

I have two Jack Russells, they shed a lot so there's always dog hair about. I spend plenty of time sweeping and hoovering. However, they are very clean dogs, they spend plenty of time every day grooming themselves and each other. Their hygiene standards are a lot higher than a lot of people. I teach both children and adults and encounter people all the time who are badly in need of a wash/change of clothes. A lot of time I'd prefer to be in the presence of natural smelling dogs than foul smelling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

That's not really the dog's fault though is it? More to do with the owners not cleaning up after her?

I have two Jack Russells, they shed a lot so there's always dog hair about. I spend plenty of time sweeping and hoovering. However, they are very clean dogs, they spend plenty of time every day grooming themselves and each other. Their hygiene standards are a lot higher than a lot of people. I teach both children and adults and encounter people all the time who are badly in need of a wash/change of clothes. A lot of time I'd prefer to be in the presence of natural smelling dogs than foul smelling people.

Very true, give me a dog over a smelly human anyday. :D
    I don't understand why someone would get a dog if it's to be left outside all the time, what would you or the dog gain from that. At least an indoor dog (or any animal really) is always there for unconditional love and cuddles. Nothing a quick hoover everyday can't fix.

Iv had hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, cats and dogs running all over my bed and Im still alive, could be why I rarely ever get sick (they do say it's good for your immune system). They only sleep there during the day and never at night, I would allow them to sleep there at night but I would never get any sleep, when a certain dog wakes up at 4am and decides it's playtime you get slippers thrown at you and a certain cat would sit all night purring in my ear and licking my face (Oh imagine the germs :D)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've done that too! Recently found the pic of me on the pony in the kitchen! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

? The thought of a dog inside bringing in the bacteria from outside, dog hairs, etc...

LMAO WOW! How do you manage not to bring the bacteria inside with you? Are you magic?

Anyway. My dog is inside with me all the time. The only time she goes outside is when she is going for a walk with me or when she goes to the toilet. She also sleeps in my bed with me. I dont see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mine are pets, there is no way would i put my dogs in a garage at night, they love their couch too much, i do beleive that having pets in my home while i was rearing my children have done alot of good for the children, it thought them to love and respect animals of all sizes, we would have less cruelty to animals if we thought our offsprings to love and respect animals, and see the good and happiness they bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

goat2 wrote: »
    of all sizes, we would have less cruelty to animals if we thought our offsprings to love and respect animals, and see the good and happiness they bring

Well said! You just have to look at the "poor kittens" thread to back this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

I have to say that my first thought when I saw the post was that the poster had to be taking the p***!!!

We have 4 cats, 1 dog, stick insects, hamsters and fish all living happily under our roof......thrown in with a couple of children and two adults :)

For me an animal is not a pet unless it lives inside!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

my dog is outdoors in garden all day, he has kennel with bed inside if he wants to snooze but rarely uses it

it wouldn't be fair to keep him indoors on his own for 8hours but he sleeps inside in utility which is his bedroom!

He's indoors for the evening/night then. Has his dinner around 5pm bring him for long walk, then he's indoors watching TV with us, playing, training etc.

He is our companion, our buddy. I love spending time with him and enjoy having him in house...it's his home too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hands up who when saying "my dog sleeps on the bottom of the bed" they are neglecting to mention that during the course of the night, their dog, ninja like, creeps up until when waking in the morning they turn around and there's a hairy chin sharing the pillow and its not the wife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hands up who when saying "my dog sleeps on the bottom of the bed" they are neglecting to mention that during the course of the night, their dog, ninja like, creeps up until when waking in the morning they turn around and there's a hairy chin sharing the pillow and its not the wife!

Yes so true ! Mine don't always sleep on the bed but when they do - one gets under the covers in the middle of the night and the other one ends up on the pillow beside me.
    I grew up with the dogs sleeping in the bedroom - I was never a sick child - was often found in the dogs kennell in fact as was my brother when we were little . I don't find it unclean at all - I just hoover the bed and the floors every day - Personally I don't see the point in having pets if they live outside 24/7.
    I find kids make more mess when they are around here than any dog that's ever visited !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My dog is an indoor dog, a Shepherd. My house is clean and if people coming to my house have a problem with her being inside, their problem. She lives there they don't. I prefer my dog to most people, but that's just me.
    I also can't fathom people keeping dogs outside (although I don't as some people do view it as anyway cruel once they have company from another dog, proper shelter and fencing and everything else they need to be happy) I just don't see the point. My dog is part of our family and so she lives as one of the family and I don;t make any apology to anyone for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I've spent my whole life surrounded by an assortment of cats and dogs, all of whom lived mostly indoors and amazingly I have not, thus far, contracted plague.

Advertisement