Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets inside house

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Honestly, I don't think a house is my type of home, without at least one cat/dog messing it up!!

As some people are aware here, we've recently adopted 2 cats, as our last cat was killed. She slept anywhere there was space for her - upstairs or downstairs. These 2 I'm trying to keep downstairs (and failing miserably, I might add:rolleyes:), but they are very much house cats. Mostly by their own choice - they refuse to go out unless the temperatures are somewhere in the region of the Mediterranean climate....

Having said that, I am conscious of cat hair around the house. I hoover downstairs a couple of extra times a week, and seem to spend every spare minute I have sweeping up cat litter. But they're worth the effort - I'd never expect an animal that was a pet to solely live outdoors. They add character to any house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I live in an apartment, so the little fella has to live inside full time. However, even if I lived in a house, he would be living inside as well. He is currently stretched out on the sofa, having been stretched out on the bed earlier on! I don't see the point in having a dog unless he/she will be treated as a family member. My lad was kept out a lot in his previous home, allowed to wander etc. When I first got him, it took him a while to adjust to cuddles and being allowed on the furniture. Poor little chap would sit by himself in the corner a lot. Now, though, he is the happiest, most spoiled little house pet! Actually, we have started calling him a Chilean miner lately, as he has taken to tunnelling under the duvet in the mornings and finding a comfy spot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I dont know if I'm the weirdo and if this is seen as normal or cute?

Yup your defiantly the weirdo imo. I probably spend more time outside than my animals so by your strange logic I would be more unhygienic than them?!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭gucciali

personally I don't see why people get pets to leave them outside , may aswell not have them if they're gonna look out the back door at them once a day , there's nothing wrong with having your pet indoors presuming you keep it clean and it's bed clean to eliminate any smells . then it shouldn't be a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

i have an indoor dog shes a pet, and a parakeet in the house bossing us around.
    i also have outdoor working dogs, they have purpose built kennels and a large run, im currently updateing their accomodation at great expense, they have raised sheltered platforms and spend the days when they are not working playing and lazing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Is it just me or is the idea of having your pet dog inside the house absolutely disgusting and dirty?? The thought of a dog inside bringing in the bacteria from outside, dog hairs, etc...

I've been hearing a lot of people then going one step further and bringing their dogs to bed with them; either at the end of the bed or on the bed itself, sleeping inbetween the couple?

I dont know if I'm the weirdo and if this is seen as normal or cute?

Not read the whole thread but this smells of troll to me... Winding folk up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Graces7 wrote: »
    In fairness to OP he posted this in AH before it was moved to API

think pretty much all followers of this forum have absolutely no issue with pets indoors...infact we wouldn't have it any other way!

however it wasn't posted here originally and for the OP it's a bit like "feeding him to the dogs"!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Graces7 wrote: »

You should, some of the posts are very funny...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

hii just have a question and would appreciate any help

we adopted a dog that was always kept outdoors-slept in a kennel and outdoors in a garden all day

we would prefer if he slept inside our house or even just spent most of the day inside but whenever we bring him indoors he goes mad running around all the rooms and barking. He also wont sit still at all -following you from the fridge to the cooker to the bin etc.

Also needs CONSTANT petting and attention and will nip if you dont give it.I dont mind petting him and praising him but u cant sit and read a book unless you have one hand constantly patting and rubbing him

The kids are even getting quite nervous of him now what with the barking and barrelling about the house

btw i do realise that as he is adopted he will take time to settle but i feel so helpless
    it breaks my heart to see him sitting out the back looking in when we would love nothing more than for him to be inside nice and warm with us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Also needs CONSTANT petting and attention and will nip if you dont give it.I dont mind petting him and praising him but u cant sit and read a book unless you have one hand constantly patting and rubbing him

Ignore his demands for attention, only pet him etc. on your terms. Try giving him kong or raw bone for times when you can't give attention and need him to occupy himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

We've our pup 3 months now, he sleeps inside and stays inside most of the time only outside for a couple of hours. I've found the house cleaner since we got him, you are more conscious of cleaning the house thoroughly every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hii just have a question and would appreciate any help

we adopted a dog that was always kept outdoors-slept in a kennel and outdoors in a garden all day

we would prefer if he slept inside our house or even just spent most of the day inside but whenever we bring him indoors he goes mad running around all the rooms and barking. He also wont sit still at all -following you from the fridge to the cooker to the bin etc.

The kids are even getting quite nervous of him now what with the barking and barrelling about the house

btw i do realise that as he is adopted he will take time to settle but i feel so helpless
    it breaks my heart to see him sitting out the back looking in when we would love nothing more than for him to be inside nice and warm with us

The relationship you have with your dog must be on your terms. He probably is excited and not used to being indoors or getting so much attention but he does need to learn the rules of your house.

Don't pet him because he keeps pestering you, send him to his bed and only pet him when you call him over for a rub not when he demands it. It will take a while for him to learn the routine. Or perhaps have a bed in the sitting room or wherever you are in the evening so he can be comfortable and still in your presence. It might be worth starting to train him with a clicker and treats, starting with basic commands like 'sit' which means he will have to focus and settle down.

Advertisement