Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volvo S40 1.6D: ABS problem

• 26-09-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I am getting the following message popping up in my car: "anti-skid service required".

Have heard all sorts of horror stories about the cost of replacing the ABS unit (€1,500 +). How can I know if it is the ABS unit and not something cheaper such as a sensor ? Am I totally at the mercy of the garage?

The car is 3.5 years old, so no warranty.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could probably get a diagnostics check fairly cheaply. That should identify what the actual problem is, and you could proceed from there.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its the Abs control unit.

Part number 36001319 @ 518.35 + vat.

Every one of these S40`s and V50`s are giving the same problem.

Could give you 15% off if you needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Thanks for the offer. Because the car has a complete service history with a main dealer, Volvo agreed to giving me the part at half price. The total bill (incl vat) will be €539 - installed.

Have heard alarming news that 07 Volvo S40 is very prone to blowing turbos. If that happens, I will be stung for a lot more!

No more Volvos for me. Honda or Toyota from now on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Poulgorm wrote: »

Have heard alarming news that 07 Volvo S40 is very prone to blowing turbos.

They dont blow turbos.I dont think Ive ever sold one for an s40 since the new model came out in 04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've never heard of S40s blowing turbos, certainly they are no more prone to engine problems than any Ford, Citroen, Peugeot, MINI or Mazda fitted with that particular engine. They are a very reliable engine apart from DPF and DMF failure, and all diesels will give DMF trouble eventually, it seems to be a lucky dip more than anything. Most modern diesels have DPFs so chances are they will give just as much trouble with the DPF if the car is driven around town/at low speeds.

I've heard stories about Honda and Toyota diesels giving trouble too, for example the Land Cruiser is rather fond of piston slap and can happen as early as 40k miles. The Avensis has swirl flaps which can break off and injest themselves into the engine and that is bye bye engine, it's a rare occurance to be fair but it can still happen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tcamaross

Hellrazer,

my 05 S40 T5 AWD Manual 6 speed just threw a message yesterday showing the anti-skid temporarily off, along with the ABS light illuminated. When i started to drive in 1st it felt like the anti skid system cut power until i got into 2nd gear. if i start out in 2nd gear it seemed ok and didnt cut power. i'm trying to reset the computer right now by disconnecting the battery to see what that does, but from what i'm reading on previous posts both here and other threads, it sounds like the ABS BCM. the car has almost 102k miles, and just came out of the 100k mile extended warranty.

i've had difficult experiences at 2 volvo dealers in my area getting them to cover warranty issues when it was still covered, bringing the car back 2-3 times to fix 1 problem, so im not looking forward to their diagnosis. was there ever a recall? how could i approach a dealer and get them to escalate to a regional or even corporate level to get something like this covered if it in fact should be?

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭markobucko

have the anti skid fault on in my 06 2.0 diesel s40...
    is there any checks that can be done to be sure the abs unit is for sure the fault???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

markobucko wrote: »
    have the anti skid fault on in my 06 2.0 diesel s40...
    is there any checks that can be done to be sure the abs unit is for sure the fault???
    If its the pressure sensor, the valve block must be replaced. you can get them from ford cheaper. Make sure you get diagnostic scan done. The wheel sensors don't tend to give bother at all.

thanks for reply plug..
    is that the electrical unit on the side of the abs pump???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

markobucko wrote: »
    thanks for reply plug..
    is that the electrical unit on the side of the abs pump???
    No its the mechanical(valve block/pump) part of it. Thats usually the problem they give but we can't say for sure because it can be anything from a sensor, wire or even the electronic control unit itself. Just get a scan done and see. Its a good chance it could be the valve block.

• Advertisement

thanks man...
    i'll try get a diagnostic check done

Advertisement