Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tuesday Night 1on1 cup: 28 September 7pm

• 26-09-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

So, people want to have some kind of weekly event. I can't promise I'll run an event every week (In fact, I can promise I won't) but I'll run something this week.

So, you can only sign up on the day. Show up at 7pm on our IRC.

Special features
    So, because Funky always wins cups, Funky will be banned from playing in the cup.
    But, as a special feature (if Funky is interested), the 2 finalists +Funky will fight in 3 way FFA where they can gang up on Funky and see how he handles 2v1. OR they can just attack each other and hope for 2nd place!

Custom maps will be used

IRC
    On the night, the cup will be organised on IRC, at #starcraft.ie @quakenet. If you don't have IRC, just click this link for a browser based version:
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=starcraft.ie

System
    This cup will be played as a single elimination cup.
    That means that if you lose a game, you're knocked out.

Miscellaneous details
    Spectating is allowed only if both players agree to it.
    All games are best of 3.
    The 1st map in each round is chosen by the Tournament Director (me), in the final, the 2nd and 3rd maps are chosen by the loser of the previous map.
    Replays should be posted as an attachment in a Replays topic I'll make on the day.

Anyone got suggestions of good maps to use? I was just going to use ICcup's maps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ladder maps preferably, since its what everyone knows.

I may or may not be here, I might be fit enough to go back football this week which rules me out.

These are on so early, why not at like 9-10pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Hmm. 7pm is the standard time for starting cups. Seeing as people have work on wednesday, the cup should be finished by 11pm (midnight latest). So if you work back from that, cup has to start at 7pm :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say most people working like myself would find 7pm a tad tough to make; maybe 8pm might be easier for most?

I'm game if we could push it back a little

Well, pop onto IRC when you get back, the cup won't start at 7pm, just the signups.

But I won't put it on later than 7pm. If we get 16 entrants, that makes for 4 rounds, at 30 minutes a round for bo1 and 90 for bo3, we're looking at 4 hours of gaming. 11:30pm is when the cup should end, which is a good time. Anything later means people will drop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think its ridiculous funky is banned! I only played in the 2v2 tourney but just because you win you shouldn't be banned. I thought we are trying to encourage an irish SC2 community developing, not the opposite... but maybe he is so good that he sucks the fun out it for the rest of us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ill 100% be there this time, and im gonna get my revenge on devore for that stupid feckin 6 pool he got me with last time.... :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

sounds like fun
    i should be there
    datacore 673

I should mention that banning funky is just a joke, I asked on the IRC chat what special rule I should include, and someone said "Ban funky", so it's a KoTH now.

If its KoTH then I should be able to slot in later in the night when I get online, hopefully :)

Will get the stream going aswell

It is not KoTH in that sense, sorry.

Ah sure, you'll find out when you show up at 7pm... It's a normal cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i should make this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I should be around, trying to persuade my practice partner to sign up. Going to seed the brackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

ahahaha what is this no Funkys allowed discrimination!?!?

I doubt I'd even be able to play anyways, I think gaming ports are blocked on campus where I'm living now so I can only play a little at weekends if I go home. I might try out one of the usb internet thingies for gaming but we'll see. I'm way out of practice after not playing for ages anyway so I probably wouldn't win :P

Funky wrote: »
    ahahaha what is this no Funkys allowed discrimination!?!?

I doubt I'd even be able to play anyways, I think gaming ports are blocked on campus where I'm living now so I can only play a little at weekends if I go home. I might try out one of the usb internet thingies for gaming but we'll see. I'm way out of practice after not playing for ages anyway so I probably wouldn't win :P

oh dear....

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

oh dear....

Haha desperation can be a bad thing. Looks like I'm okay though, seems to be working. Had heard mixed reports about ports being open or whatever but mine seems to work :D

turns out football is on later tonight, so I'm here from 7pm - about 9-30pm, lets get rocking

Welcome to use my vent again

** just realised its monday, ******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Wish I could get in on these games. ****ing cheap ass college throwing me in with night sudents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hmmm, i'm thinking, should i join the running club tomorrow, or should i play starcraft... This is a tough call, i'll let y'all know tomorrow :)

ill be in, but quick question...

what do i need to go on the vent server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

I'll be up for this tonight defo :-)

• Advertisement

ok so TODAY is Tuesday, still balling, so might be able to play a game before I go, other then that I'm not back till 10

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I should be around this evening, 7 might be a bit early, but I'll try make it for then. DeVore's out of the country, but might still make an appearance - who can predict the ways of the DeV?

Can someone post a list of the non-Blizzard maps we might use and where to d/l them from? It tends to d/l quickly in game, but it's just handier to have it sorted before hand.

The maps will be the ICcup maps. In game DL seems the easiest, so I'm gonna go with that.

So you can feel free to practice them, I quite enjoy the confusion of playing a map for the 1st time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

I should be around this evening, count me in.

gearoidof wrote: »
    The maps will be the ICcup maps. In game DL seems the easiest, so I'm gonna go with that.

So you can feel free to practice them, I quite enjoy the confusion of playing a map for the 1st time.
    Not Fighting Spirit, please?! For the love of god. It's soooo ridiculously big.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Not Fighting Spirit, please?! For the love of god. It's soooo ridiculously big.

That's a zerg map :) leave it in :o

Why would we not just use the standard maps, instead of confusing things with custom maps? You dont usually see "custom maps" being used for professional tournaments.

The custom maps are being used for tourneys, maybe not the tip top ones but the blizzard ones honestly aren't very good. Even Metalopolis, probably the most widely acknowledged 'balanced' map has problems. The iCCup maps discourage hard one basing and one control group armies which I think is good. They make it more profitable to split up your army for multiple harass.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    The custom maps are being used for tourneys, maybe not the tip top ones but the blizzard ones honestly aren't very good. Even Metalopolis, probably the most widely acknowledged 'balanced' map has problems. The iCCup maps discourage hard one basing and one control group armies which I think is good. They make it more profitable to split up your army for multiple harass.

Oh okay cool, Was just wondering about the reasoning behind it, I look forward to them so :-)

• Advertisement

BluE-WinG wrote: »
    Why would we not just use the standard maps, instead of confusing things with custom maps? You dont usually see "custom maps" being used for professional tournaments.

Agreed, all this custom map stuff is a load of bollox.

Play the maps we play every day in ladder :/

TheDoc wrote: »
    Agreed, all this custom map stuff is a load of bollox.

Play the maps we play every day in ladder :/

+1 to this.

This isnt the Iccup. Or esl, or gsl.

Its a few boards guys getting together to play. Most of us arent idra :P

Play the ladder maps

Yea I vote for the ladder maps.

Don't feel like playing maps I've never seen before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm sure we can mix things up; I myself know nothing of the custom maps so would feel a bit at a disdvantage for map knoweldge. Perhaps a 50/50 split of ladder maps and custom

As it is, I'm still in, albeit riddled with a cold so I may not play; excess lemsip might cause some odd build orders.

It's not as if anyone else has played them apart from a game or two.

i vote for maps with destructible rocks :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

i vote for maps with destructible rocks :pac: :pac:

lol

"Boards.ie 1v1 novice tournament with destructible rocks and bumper lanes"

I have never played any of these maps, I think this is as good a time as any to try them out!

How about the finals are on custom maps?

Lets ask the players at the time of the match. I don't personally mind which map I play on as I don't rate myself too highly as a player anyway, so I see these gatherings on Tuesdays as being for fun and education as much as playing hard.

Actually, count me out. Wrecked here with a cold, I'd just flap about the place :( Sure if there's a stream I'll probably have a gander though ...

• Advertisement

anyone got a weblink to the irc channel?

cba fishing mirc out :)

Is this going down, in Irc chan now, and nobody seems to be around!

IRC is here:
    http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=starcraft.ie

Furyio.731 Terran

Here till 8pm when I have to go football, be back later if games still going.

Sign me up ! BluEWiNG 488

Tayto.872

Terran

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mordeth.565

Bogger.165

NeoSlicerZ.470