Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A Good Barrel Mounted Torch ?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, was looking at an LED Lenser P3 Police Tech lamp for my Remmy 700.
    Would this be a good choice in we're opinions ?
    I have a heavy barrel on the Remy 700, would the barrel mount on this lamp fit my barrel width ? lastly,
    Can ye recommend any other decent barrel mounted lamps ?

Any info. much appreciated, thanks lads!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

vixdname wrote: »
    Would this be a good choice in we're opinions ?
    I have a heavy barrel on the Remy 700, would the barrel mount on this lamp fit my barrel width ? lastly,
    Can ye recommend any other decent barrel mounted lamps ?

Any info. much appreciated, thanks lads!:D

Can't recommend anything for a centrefire, still using lamps. But, if you're going to hang it off your barrel, check yer zero before you bring it out in anger ;)

I believe Clivej is the authority on this subject here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Don't hang anything on your barrel, mount it on your scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Don't hang anything on your barrel, mount it on your scope.

Good point. OK lets re-phrase it - can anyone recommend a decent barrel\scope mounted lamp, it would have to have a mount that fits a heavy barrel Remy 700 or a NightForce NXS scope tubing ?

Again lads, thanks for any info ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Good point. OK lets re-phrase it - can anyone recommend a decent barrel\scope mounted lamp, it would have to have a mount that fits a heavy barrel Remy 700 or a NightForce NXS scope tubing ?

Again lads, thanks for any info ?

Lightforce fits straight on, sister/parent company of nightforce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Lightforce fits straight on, sister/parent company of nightforce

I was reading up on the LightForce gun mounted lamps and it says that they're powered by a 12v battery pack, where when you have the lamp attached to the riflle do you keep the battery pack ?

I have a lightforce hand held lamp with the double batterys that clip around my waste would they fit the gun mounted type lamp ?

Also recommendations on self contained battery powered gun mounted lamps would also be appreciated as I want to weigh up all options :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I was reading up on the LightForce gun mounted lamps and it says that they're powered by a 12v battery pack, where when you have the lamp attached to the riflle do you keep the battery pack ?

I have a lightforce hand held lamp with the double batterys that clip around my waste would they fit the gun mounted type lamp ?

Also recommendations on self contained battery powered gun mounted lamps would also be appreciated as I want to weigh up all options :D

The lamp is similar to the hand held, it justs clips onto a mounting bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fox10nicdognotfaraway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Don't get the P3, get the newer and much brighter P7. It also has an easy push-pull head for contolling the beam instead of the fiddly twist type on the P3. Can be got with the same pressure switch and scope mount as the P3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have the P7 and it came with it's own scope/barrel mount. It's good for taking foxes out to about 150. spotting foxes is about 220 and a bit with maybe depending on weather etc. If I was you I would get the P14, it's bigger but it has a better spot. I'm happy with the P7 as it's amazing little light for it's size. I still put the lightforce on the .223 though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Review of a LED torch used for foxing. HERE

From the above LINK
    OK I have had these torches out a couple of times now and a few of you have asked where I got them from and how good are they.

First off don't compare these to the Lightforce 170 lamps. The 170 LF will outshine and throw a longer beam than these ever can. And I have used the 170 LF and still have the handheld version with dimmer.
    But I found that when I used the scope mounted version when I got it off the back seat of the car the lamp head had always turned and I had to twist it back before any shot could be taken a big let down from the 170 LF for me. And of course you always had the battery to carry as well.

12052010027.jpg

Now these LED torches give a long narrow throw of a beam and you will see the reflection from the foxes eyes @200m+ IMO. You will not make out the outline of the fox at 200m but you will easily see that fox in your scope @150m+ and place the shot. At 100m+ you will see the fox walking about, see it's colour, body, tail, everything.

I have left one on for over 2 + half hours and you will get a lot more time from it as you won't have it on all the time, and of course you can put a couple of spare batteries in your pocket (careful not to let them short out). The batteries used are 4 x CR123A or 2 x TR18650 3.7volt. Input voltage is 7.4v-17v and is regulated. The output is stated @220lumens and has is a CREE P4 LED.
    It has a clicky/pushy on/off on the end and you must push it all the way to turn on/off.

I have two and use one for scaning the fields and the other is fixed to my scope with 2 cheap back to back scope mounts as shown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement