Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Festival

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hallo everyone, so i'm heading to Cork for the festival... I don't have accommodation sorted :(
    I have to say i leave everything to last minute but I was searching on Friday and the prices are ridiculous! €368 for two nights! Like i'll take a b&b, close to town/in town...
    Any ideas anyone? Oh plus cheap - reasonably priced please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

All the good cheap stuff will most likely be booked out. If it is value you are after why not try B&Bs in the Douglas Road? They might not be the target of Jazz weekenders but are not too far from city centre (25 min walk or quick taxi ride). Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Here's hoping it's not as crap as previous years festivals. The best one was the year Guinness lost the plot completely ...

Cork Guinness Jazz Festival, featuring Sharon Shannon and Mundy! Those posters were all over town. FFS, it's a Jazz Festival and you're the main sponsor. Bring me King Creole, Brian Setzer's big band, Ben l'Oncle, but don't deviate from the Jazz/Soul theme.

Here's hoping it's not as crap as previous years festivals.

I hate the Jazz Weekend, last 3 years I have gone to a race meeting in Aintree but it was looking like I'd be here this coming one :o
    Thankfully a stag weekend has been arranged :D (not mine)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

You need to get on to Google buddy - I just found a double room in the Montenotte Hotel for the Fri & Sat night for = €168.37 including breakfast. Log on to Roomex and book through them, there is actually some choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

has the jazz festival gone downhill? bound to be a great atmosphere around for it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Here's hoping it's not as crap as previous years festivals. The best one was the year Guinness lost the plot completely ...

Cork Guinness Jazz Festival, featuring Sharon Shannon and Mundy! Those posters were all over town. FFS, it's a Jazz Festival and you're the main sponsor. Bring me King Creole, Brian Setzer's big band, Ben l'Oncle, but don't deviate from the Jazz/Soul theme.

Sharon Shannon was in the Opera House last October Bank Holiday weekend but it wasn't part of the Jazz Festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

looks like being the best for a while

and selling out fast

Herbie Hancock - sold out

Stevie Winwood - virtually sold out

Really good programme at the Triskel at River Lee Hotel (Jurys)

If you can, try and get tickets for Sunday afternoon at the Everyman - Tord Gustavsen _ really really good - saw him around 5 years ago in Dublin

evilivor wrote: »
    Sharon Shannon was in the Opera House last October Bank Holiday weekend but it wasn't part of the Jazz Festival.

It was on *all* the Guinness Jazz Weekend merchandise. I know, because I complained about it afterwards to Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It was on *all* the Guinness Jazz Weekend merchandise. I know, because I complained about it afterwards to Guinness.

It wasn't part of the Guinness Jazz Festival last year - the Opera House was precluded from being a venue as it had done a marketing deal with Murphys to to be its official beer. It was widely reported at the time.
    No main Jazz act for Opera House after sponsorship row
    By Sean O’Riordan

Friday, September 18, 2009

IT has hosted some of the biggest names in jazz, but Cork Opera House will be without a headline act next month following a row between Ireland’s biggest drinks companies.

Guinness, which has sponsored the Jazz Festival for the last 27 years, claims it has been "restricted" from hosting major acts at the venue because the Opera House has entered into a sponsorship deal with Murphy’s, which is owned by Heineken Ireland.

Guinness’s parent company, Diageo, has issued a statement saying it was looking forward to sponsoring the festival, which will feature more than 1,000 musicians.

However, it said it wouldn’t be staging major acts at the Opera House, which together with the Gresham Metropole Hotel, has always been the main venue for the festival.

Cork Opera House has hosted jazz legends such as Acker Bilke, Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie.

A spokesman for Heineken Ireland said it had put absolutely no restrictions in Guinness’s way, but refused to comment further on the issue.

Cork Opera House director Gerry Barnes said it was his understanding that Guinness "had been offered branding and pouring rights" throughout the festival weekend but had declined.

He said the Opera House agreed a three-year sponsorship deal with Murphy’s which expires in 2012. He declined to reveal the value of the deal.

Mr Barnes maintained there was no exclusivity on branding or serving drinks at the venue for the October 22-26 festival.

He also disagreed with Diageo that Guinness was "restricted" from hosting major acts at the venue.

"They have chosen to decline our offer and we wish them well," he said.

The Gresham Metropole Hotel, the Firkin Crane, The Savoy, The Pavilion and Cyprus Avenue will be the main venues for this years’s festival, which is worth more than €6 million to the local economy.

There were posters all over town last year with the Guinness branding on it, same as they do every year, black posters, name, etc, with 'Guinness Cork Jazz Festival' and Sharon Shannon and Mundy underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

McC Street is where the buzz will be - I can't wait for the festival - I've been attending for the past few years and it's been fantastic. Stick to that street and you can't go wrong, with the Met, Everyman and various pubs. So excited about seeing Herbie Hancock............ J

Judes wrote: »
    McC Street is where the buzz will be - I can't wait for the festival - I've been attending for the past few years and it's been fantastic. Stick to that street and you can't go wrong, with the Met, Everyman and various pubs. So excited about seeing Herbie Hancock............ J

alwayd a great buzz there for the weekend

the street is coming back into its own generally - BRU, Bourbon St and LV have turned the far end of the street as a great place to hang out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what pubs would be the best to go to to see some live music? not any of the main ones as i have not booked to see any headlining acts...

I always enjoy heading into Counihans to see Mary Stokes on a Sat or Sun afternoon. I think going in early in the afternoons and heading away early suits me best.

The Old oak had the Marvels there last year and the year before (not jazz I know) but very entertaining, they play an afternoon and night time gig. I just dropped them a mail to see if they are playing again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

sharon sharon , pogues and others are headlining the cork folk festival as opposed to the jazz festival, according to ads in the echo tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Judes wrote: »

Hope he performs for you. Saw him in London mid-90s and he went off on a tangent and left the audience behind. First and only concert I've ever walked out from.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

murphym7 wrote: »
    I always enjoy heading into Counihans to see Mary Stokes on a Sat or Sun afternoon. I think going in early in the afternoons and heading away early suits me best.
    Mary Stokes at Counihans is the business. See her every year, sometimes more than once depending on how bad everything else is. Great start to the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anything suggestions for Friday afternoon?

Herbie Hancock - sold out

Stevie Winwood - sold out

Charlie Haydn & Tord Gustavsen - nearly sold out

so where will people head to?

Mary Stokes in Counihans ?

The free afternoons at the Metrpole ?

What are your plans for THE weekend of the year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Get tickets to the "nearly sold out" gigs at the Everyman as it is always buzzing in there and has become the premier venue for the top names appearing at the festival the last few years. So if tickets still available for Charlie Haden on the Sat afternoon and Tord Gustaven on the Sun afternoon get them before they are sold out. And enjoy your weekend. J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Metropole on saturday and Sunday is a tradition I have held for about 15 years now, so will not be missing out. Kinda want to go see the Brand New Heavies in The Savoy as well.

Generally have a good crawl around town as well. I love the Jazz Weekend.

Yep - metropole on the sunday afternoon is kinda special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

jacko1 wrote: »
    Yep - metropole on the sunday afternoon is kinda special

Chalk it down. Been spending sunday arvo's there for the last five years of Jazz fest :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I have to go see The Marvels in The Old Oak on Sunday as my sister wants me to suss them out for her wedding band. Anyone know If there any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

guys where would be the best street to head to friday or saturday night in case its raining i dont wana be dashing around geting wet :)
    would mc curtin street be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Gonna try and revive this thread people...

I'm heading down on Friday around noon... So i know i'll be spending my Sat night in Reardens, where will i head to on Fridays? Reardens again? ;)

panda100 wrote: »
    I have to go see The Marvels in The Old Oak on Sunday as my sister wants me to suss them out for her wedding band. Anyone know If there any good?

They are very very good - this will be our 3rd year in a row going to see them in the Old Oak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Seems En Vogue are playing in the Opera House saturday night, but it is not part of the Jazz Trail due to a sponsorship issue (Opera House sposnsored by the new Beamish Brewery).

Tickets are €40 which I think is a touch steep. I am reckoning it is going to be a complete wash out.

Will be heading out of the City for Friday and Saturday and to jazz free zones for the Sunday :pac: :D

• Advertisement

MIN2511 wrote: »
    So i know i'll be spending my Sat night in Reardens, where will i head to on Fridays? Reardens again? ;)

You come to Cork for the jazz weekend and go to Reardens, sweet Jesus :rolleyes:

Advertisement