Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Festival

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Gonna try and revive this thread people...

I'm heading down on Friday around noon... So i know i'll be spending my Sat night in Reardens, where will i head to on Fridays? Reardens again? ;)

keep clear of Reardens !

def go to Mary Stokes at Counihans on Friday night as many other posters have suggested - Legendary

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

panda100 wrote: »
    I have to go see The Marvels in The Old Oak on Sunday as my sister wants me to suss them out for her wedding band. Anyone know If there any good?

Had them for our wedding. You should be impressed; I was after 5 mins. I was in bands for years and was allergic to having a 'wedding' band. But they're super cool and I would have no hesitation recommending them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Reardens on the Jazz weekend? Reardens on any weekend? Good grief. My utter hatred for that place knows no limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Lol....

I was on the website and all the gigs are sold out... Not keen on paying > €20 for entry

Also looking for decent/nice restaurants to get food on Friday & Saturday... Early bird deals too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There are only 2 gigs sold out - Herbie Hancock and Stevie Winwood

https://www.ctb.ie/tickets/ctb2/?shows=400%25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

gimmick wrote: »
    Reardens on the Jazz weekend? Reardens on any weekend? Good grief. My utter hatred for that place knows no limits.

A friend from Cavan gave me the best discription of Rearden's "It's Coppers, without the class" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I think a pub crawl is in order, and where ever the zazz is at, I'll stay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Stabler008

Hey everyone,

So Jazz isn't my cup of tea.
    Does anyone know places that are staying Jazz free this weekend?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Much of the music played in pubs isn't really jazz at all. I'm not a great lover of pure jazz but lots of the music at the festival is great.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

overmantle wrote: »
    Much of the music played in pubs isn't really jazz at all. I'm not a great lover of pure jazz but lots of the music at the festival is great.:D

Thats right!

And Therapy? are playing in Cyprus Avenue on Saturday and Sunday night. Thats certainly not jazz.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    There are only 2 gigs sold out - Herbie Hancock and Stevie Winwood

https://www.ctb.ie/tickets/ctb2/?shows=400%25

Louis Stewart - Sat night Triskel at River Lee Hotel also sold out and only a few tickets for tonight left

Just got my train ticket, was gonna get the bus until i found out it's a 5hr bus ride... Nfw!!!

Right Cork here i come, looking at places to go for food tonight and then drinks.. hmm... Can't wait :)

If i bump into anyone on this thread, please say hello... I'll be the girl on her own in Cork :D

Just got my train ticket, was gonna get the bus until i found out it's a 5hr bus ride... Nfw!!!

Right Cork here i come, looking at places to go for food tonight and then drinks.. hmm... Can't wait :)

If i bump into anyone on this thread, please say hello... I'll be the girl on her own in Cork :D

Counihans on Pembroke St from 10 on tonight for Mary Stokes is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

I want to see some really hyper funky jazz, like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4P1A3jtu0

Anything like this on over the next 3 days?

Thats right!

And Therapy? are playing in Cyprus Avenue on Saturday and Sunday night. Thats certainly not jazz.

Taking the piss IMO. If they found a better way to generalise it as a Jazz, Blues & Rock festival I wouldn't mind as much but it seems dishonest. Jazz is pretty broad too, you'd think they'd find enough stuff to fall under it. A bit of jazzy blues, funk, soul and what have you might even be jazzy enough but when they do those they pick the least jazzy blues funk and soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Glad I found this thread! In cork for the weekend and had been planning on heading into this reardons place after hearing a sweet band playing on patricks st who are playing there tonight. Coppers without the class? No thank you.

So any other recommendations for the city this evening between the hours of 11 and 3? :)

Cheers

Went to see the Jazz Defektors in the Imperial, got two lads playing acoustic rock. What the **** like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Sandvich wrote: »
    Went to see the Jazz Defektors in the Imperial, got two lads playing acoustic rock. What the **** like.

Haha you'd think the name of the band would have been a clue :D;):p:p:p

The Jazz weekend also gets some people who aren't interested in Jazz but are just looking for the atmosphere that the weekend brings. It doesn't have to be exclusively Jazz gigs.

Haha you'd think the name of the band would have been a clue :D;):p:p:p

The Jazz weekend also gets some people who aren't interested in Jazz but are just looking for the atmosphere that the weekend brings. It doesn't have to be exclusively Jazz gigs.

Yeah, but what happened to these guys?

http://www.myspace.com/thejazzdefektors

Also if there was too much jazz it'd be an issue. There are dedicated "escape from the Jazz" venues when the majority of what's being played isn't actually jazz.

This pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Glad I found this thread! In cork for the weekend and had been planning on heading into this reardons place after hearing a sweet band playing on patricks st who are playing there tonight. Coppers without the class? No thank you.

So any other recommendations for the city this evening between the hours of 11 and 3? :)

Cheers

Everywhere will be packed tonight. Some people dont like Reardans, others do, if you do want to go there be prepared to queue! There are lots of bars around Reardans so check them out.

On another note, want to see the Marvels tonight in Old Oak, looked up the jazz festival website and it seems they are on in Barrys in Douglas at 9 and old oak at 10:confused: Em do they have jet packs or what??
    I know that a few of the gigs have been advertised at wrong times (e.g. Director in the Bailey yesterday) but seriously this should have been noticed!

• Advertisement

Right so i got back today, i should have stayed an extra night but i enjoyed myself.

Friday; i went to Counihans and watched Mary Stokes... Brilliant atmosphere, young crowd upstairs, older crowd downstairs... Spoke to a few people... At 1 it was hard to find anywhere else to go to, ended up taking a cab to Reardens... Got to the door at 1.35 and wasn't allowed in(didn't realise the clubs closed at 2)
    So i go across to Cubins, paid a tenner and it was DEAD.... Less than 25 people in the whole club... Seriously mad!

Saturday; was in town... There was some girl on a makeshift stage'rapping' and that definitely wasn't jazz! A band playing outside a pub and food market... I was at the Pavillion and then ended up in Reardens...

Now, today Town was packed with bands and all sorts of entertainers, i should have stayed the night but sure next year...

I have to say i love Cork, i love the smallness of the city, it's so unique... It was weird being by myself and i can be shy so i wasn't chatty...

Thank you to everyone i who recommended Counihan's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Right so i got back today, i should have stayed an extra night but i enjoyed myself.

Friday; i went to Counihans and watched Mary Stokes... Brilliant atmosphere, young crowd upstairs, older crowd downstairs... Spoke to a few people... At 1 it was hard to find anywhere else to go to, ended up taking a cab to Reardens... Got to the door at 1.35 and wasn't allowed in(didn't realise the clubs closed at 2)
    So i go across to Cubins, paid a tenner and it was DEAD.... Less than 25 people in the whole club... Seriously mad!

Saturday; was in town... There was some girl on a makeshift stage'rapping' and that definitely wasn't jazz! A band playing outside a pub and food market... I was at the Pavillion and then ended up in Reardens...

Now, today Town was packed with bands and all sorts of entertainers, i should have stayed the night but sure next year...

I have to say i love Cork, i love the smallness of the city, it's so unique... It was weird being by myself and i can be shy so i wasn't chatty...

Thank you to everyone i who recommended Counihan's :)

Sounds like you had a fab time! Next time you come down, you should arrange to come to one of our meet ups, I only read your posts today and felt awful about you being on your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Did anyone see those 5 or 6 or so foreign navy ships at penrose quay during the jazz festival? Does anyone know what countries the came from? I couldnt get a good look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's a thread about them with pics here

Advertisement