Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new gfx or crossfire?

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭

i am going to be building a new rig soon and i'm undecided what to do with the gfx card
    I have a 4870 512mb which still plays everything on high even though it is a 2 year old card
    so should i try and get another 4870 or what card would be worth upgrading to and the most economical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

X-fire upgrade would be very economical alright but I notice that most of the people complaining about ATI driver issues are on Crossfire setups. I was considering going this route but I'll probably just get a 6870 in November instead. I'm sure lots of people have Crossfire setups that work fine but all it doesn't appear to be problem free.

If you can still max things out, I presume you're not playing at very high resolution? A seconf 4870 would be fairly cheap now alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed....crossfire on the 5870s/5970 is a nightmare at the moment.
    Every driver release since 10.5 (we're now at 10.9) has been crap for games with poor performance, game graphics distorting and crashing to the desktop in BC2..
    I'm pretty tempted to go back to Nvidia who I hate with a passion but ATI need to sort their crap out.

If you go the single card route then everything works fine and one 5870 will blow away 2x 4870s.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

If u want double HD 4870 u need power supply of at least 600W or u risk alot...

Advertisement