Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on Australian holiday itinerary

Options
  • 26-09-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I will arrive in Sydney on the 19th December where I will hook up with 2 buddies, and we return home on the 11th January. We want to be in Sydney for new years. The rest of the time there we are unsure exactly what to do.

Can anyone advise how they might spend such a short time and experience as much of Australia as possible? One of my mates really wants to go to Fraser island. I have always wanted to see Uluru, but appreciate that it is a good distance from Sydney.

What are the must-sees and do's?

Many thanks for any advice.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dont bother with Uluru, its awesome and all that, but its a bloody long way, and no, its not near Alice Springs no matter what anyone tells you.
    Fraser Island is great.
    Jenolan Caves is definitely worth a visit and near enough to Sydney.
    The Three Sisters also near Sydney and on the way to Jenolan.
    Theres a few for your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Don't try and see all of oz, you are here for 4 weeks, its not even clsoe to enough.
    also, arriving in sydney 9on the 19th) and planning on being ther for the (31st) isn't really that smart. Would of been better to arrive in anothwer city and then make it to sydney, rather than leaving and returning.

My plan would be;
    Arrive sydney, fly straight to cairns,
    Do frasier, whitsundays and see the usual places en route,
    Return to sydney for newyears, bridge/operahouse/bondi/manlyf/ireworks in the harbour,
    head to melbourne and see as much as you can

Can you change flight so that you arrive brisbane, then up to cairns and fly out of melbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Jumpy wrote: »
    Dont bother with Uluru, its awesome and all that, but its a bloody long way, and no, its not near Alice Springs no matter what anyone tells you.

That's good to know. I can skip it then I suppose.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Fraser Island is great.
    Jenolan Caves is definitely worth a visit and near enough to Sydney.
    The Three Sisters also near Sydney and on the way to Jenolan.
    Theres a few for your list.

Great stuff....will write them down!
    Mellor wrote: »

My plan would be;
    Arrive sydney, fly straight to cairns,
    Do frasier, whitsundays and see the usual places en route,
    Return to sydney for newyears, bridge/operahouse/bondi/manlyf/ireworks in the harbour,
    head to melbourne and see as much as you can

Can you change flight so that you arrive brisbane, then up to cairns and fly out of melbourne

Not sure about changing flights but I will see how much extra it would set me back. I have already paid close on 2 grand for flights (including internals in Thailand) and this doesn't include internals in Oz!

What about this: I believe you can fly to Hervey bay airport from Sydney which is close to Fraser island. Do this, hire a car there...explore this part of the coast as much as possible.... and fly back to Sydney from there on the 28th? Is this an option or a bad idea?

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I would bother with the car tbh.
    Hervey is one of the departure points for Frasier, the next nearest sites are a good bit away, you won't be able to drive about for a day and return to Hervey, better to leave and work towards cairns and fly back to sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Hey,

I'm actually going to Australia on 23rd october (yes, 25 days to go.....! :eek:)

I'm flying in to Sydney, staying there for about 5 days max, flying up to cairns and driving from there to Brisbane and home from there. I'm going to be away for 3 weeks and I cannot wait! I reckon i'll jsut do the regular stuff along the coast,, maybe go to Port Douglas and then follow loosly this route:

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/12-day-cairns-to-brisbane-tour/

Is there anything I need to do that is not listed in the above route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

niamh4626 wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm actually going to Australia on 23rd october (yes, 25 days to go.....! :eek:)

I'm flying in to Sydney, staying there for about 5 days max, flying up to cairns and driving from there to Brisbane and home from there. I'm going to be away for 3 weeks and I cannot wait! I reckon i'll jsut do the regular stuff along the coast,, maybe go to Port Douglas and then follow loosly this route:

http://www.adventuretours.com.au/12-day-cairns-to-brisbane-tour/

Is there anything I need to do that is not listed in the above route?

Looks good to me Niamh. You have more time than I do and are fitting more in accordingly. Do you intend to hire a car in Cairns and drop it off in Brisbane?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

Looks good to me Niamh. You have more time than I do and are fitting more in accordingly. Do you intend to hire a car in Cairns and drop it off in Brisbane?

Hey,

Yes I am going to hire a car in Cairns when I arrive there!! This time 3 weks i'll be in sydney, I'm so excited I actually think I might explode!!! I will let you know how I get on when I return (:P) if I haven't any info before I go!!:D

Advertisement