Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lock pros/cons?

• 26-09-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

hi there,

i had a question about locks. I know it's been asked before, but i see the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit U-lock being recommended. Could anyone explain why these are more durable? I was under the impression U-locks were fairly flimsy. Also, would the longer version be less safe than the mini?

My bike was just stolen :( I had this kind of lock more-ore less http://www.abus.de/images/prod/zweirad/Motorrad/950.jpg
    Which i think actually had a anti-theft guarantee[or theft guarantee!!] which obviously wasn't valid in ireland, but still, i thought that was fairly convincing - was i naive?! Also, it was the one the guy in the shop in rathgar recommended. It was €60, and i had one like it before that the key got stuck in that i had to cut off myself with an angle grinder/saw thing which took about 20 minutes and was not quiet!!

Should i be going for the U-lock next time? the other type just seems more robust to me, but obviously it was not!

any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Good u-locks are far from flimsy. Cable locks are the ones you should avoid -- or at least avoid using as your primary lock.

The Fahgettaboudit is an excellent lock, but it is heavy, expensive, can't be easily frame-mounted, and can't fit around some street furniture. It's my primary lock, all the same, as I don't find any of these shortcomings relevant.

Some useful information here:
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For the most part, lock security is defined as resistance against hand tools. This is because no lock will resist power tools for more than a few seconds, and it isn't in the interests of the manufacturers or the parasitical symbiotic magazine reviewers to draw attention to this.

In this context, the main vulnerability of u-locks is being prised open with a bottle jack. This requires space inside the shackle, of which there is less with a smaller (mini) u-lock. Regardless of shackle size, if you fill it with bike + pole then there's no space for a jack.

Cable locks and most chains are vulnerable to snipping with bolt croppers, which are cheap and quick to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

thank you both, that does actually clarify it for me! hopefully it won't happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Use two (decent) locks - one U lock and one cable lock. Few thieves will carry both tools required to remove both locks.

Advertisement