Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Build Costs

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi long time waiting to get started and finally getting some bit close. Ive found a site with planning permission for something close enough to this http://www.plan-a-home.ie/plans/B21 in size and structure. Wondering if anyone has any idea how much it would cost to get to builders finish. Know a couple of trades to sort out plumbing, plastering, electrics so hoping to call in a few favours. Site is pretty standard so no major groundworks needed. Esb adjacent, would need to sink a well and do the whole bio-cycle treatment system. Have had a look at the calculator on the page and realise its a bit out dated and there are deals to be done.Any help on figures contacts and links greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'll stick my neck out and say about €86/sq ft, all-in, fully finished, incl all groundworks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Thanks for the reply, youre one of the few who seems willing to do so. Dunno if its to do with lack of info in the post or that old "how long is a piece of string" answer. Thanks again.

...it's like everything else - you have to start somewhere.

I can tell you it's 86, and for passive spec you can add 15%, to a certain level of finish. Includes say, a 6.5k kitchen, not a 25k one !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Thanks for the reply, youre one of the few who seems willing to do so. Dunno if its to do with lack of info in the post or that old "how long is a piece of string" answer. Thanks again.

I wouldn't say people aren't willing to stick their necks out. Most of the class of 2010 have posted their experiences in the 2010 cost thread. You will see there that you really need to allow at least 100 e per sq ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

wood the per sq foot price include vat. I see it so often but wonder if 100 euro sq ft is inclusive of vat of 12.5% or how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭valtra2

hey ya just sent in for planning for that exacted house but with a few changes, will be sending off the plans to builders and timberfarme companys next week so hope to know soon what it will cost, hoping it will be 140,000 for builgers finish i am hoping but will be doin lot of work myself like digging and founditions so hope to finish close to that, will be only finishing few rooms insde at first depends on the money really

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Best of luck with the quotes,be sure to post back and let us know how you are getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SARAH ANNE

very confused and upset.
    got a quote from a plasterer, back of fagbox job, 14500 cash, i supply material,
    thought it was a bit high ,bid mr. plasterer 8000 euro, he has dropped to 9,
    any one an idea per m 2 how much i should be paying.
    very disturbed that this sort of skullduggery could be going on in the trades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

SARAH ANNE wrote: »
    very confused and upset.
    got a quote from a plasterer, back of fagbox job, 14500 cash

That's ridiculous in fairness...

phester28 wrote: »
    wood the per sq foot price include vat. I see it so often but wonder if 100 euro sq ft is inclusive of vat of 12.5% or how does it work?

Yes, the prices HERE shows that would include VAT. And those costings, from a specific house, includes some big ticket items that most people won't need - Zinc cladding, for example, and balcony work, etc.

Also, don't forget that if you buy, say a bathroom set from a provider's, you pay 21% in the shop, and you pay the plumber 13.5% VAT on his labour to fit. If you let the plumber buy-and-fit, you pay 13.5% on the whole lot, so going and buying stuff directly can sometimes work out MORE expensive, not less. This applies to anything in the house: kitchens, electrical, mechanical, etc. And of course, if you supply something and it's wrong/doesn't fit/work etc, you have to pay to sort it out. Using a tradesman to supply, means that would fall on him. Just a thought.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

very confused and upset.
    got a quote from a plasterer, back of fagbox job, 14500 cash, i supply material,

...I don't understand you, either.
    Confused and upset about what ? You haven't told us how big a job, how many square meter's etc.
    Am I disturbed by the skullduggery of posters with sweeping statements.........? :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

very confused and upset.

He quoted 14k for labour but you've negotiated him down to 9k :confused:
    GET A DIFFERENT PLASTERER...

Advertisement