Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must do things before leaving UCD?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I know theres some self indulgent rubbish along the same lines in the UCDSU diaries but i'd like to hear from anyone whos finished now or maybe nearly done what they think is a must do for a student in UCD at some point.

The reason i ask is ive made little or no use of the facilities or advantages i have there yet and i want to change that. Anything at all works, from a 911 coffee in the afternoon to something a little more obscure. Theres so many individual things to do i'd like to get a few ideas and maybe feel a little better about taking advantage of the opportunities im being presented with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Run along the roof thingy on the concourse.

Build sand castles (With sand you brought with you) on the greyhound thing in Merville.

Go to a lecture from a different course.

Get locked the night before an exam you dont even have the remotest chance of passing*.

Get involved in something (Be it a campaign, a soc or club, or even just your class).

*May actually be a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Take part in the Boat Race at the Martial Arts Ball

Score someone in your class that you swore you wouldn't go near when sober, or alternatively someone from Leitrim

Join a Superleague team, the name of which involves a euphemism for genitalia or a silly pun

Find the secret lake

Go see Dr Salthouse if he's blowing stuff up at Science Day this year

Golden weeks - particularly arts students, because you have NO excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Score someone in your class that you swore you wouldn't go near when sober, or alternatively someone from Leitrim

Isn't the latter a subset of the former?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭desdman

jump into the lake:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

do the poster run in UCD. first attempted it two weeks ago and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

do the poster run in UCD. first attempted it two weeks ago and I love it.**

Try to do it on Freshers week, or coming up the sabbat elections. Like one of the really nasty competitive ones.

Go on at least one class or society trip somewhere...

Climb one of the rock climbing walls in the gym.

Try to sleep in every res, (or try sleep with someone in every res)

Protest against something.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Go see Dr Salthouse if he's blowing stuff up at Science Day this year

Unfortunately he's no longer with us. His shows were great though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do a facedown in one of the green layer's on the research building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭trellheim

When I'm cycling home from circuits tonight. I must turn my lights on before I leave, otherwise the cars won't see me, now that it's getting dark. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Golden weeks - particularly arts students, because you have NO excuses
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

muffinz wrote: »
    :confused:

Its where you go to EVERY lecture/lab/tutorial/small group etc. that you are timetabled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Conor108 wrote: »
    Its where you go to EVERY lecture/lab/tutorial/small group etc. that you are timetabled for.
    Oh right! Well thats one thing off the list then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

errlloyd wrote: »
    Try to do it on Freshers week, or coming up the sabbat elections. Like one of the really nasty competitive ones.

Freshers week was my first week doing it, Someone on my own committee knocked me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Do it doggy style beside the secret lacks or at the bottom of the winding staircase outside Th. N in the Arts Block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Attempt to actually meet Hugh Brady...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Take part in the Boat Race at the Martial Arts Ball

Does a martial arts ball exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

I'm not sure if it's ever actually been done, but I have heard whispers of people doing a platinum week (Go out every night and then go to every lecture).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Gingy wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's ever actually been done, but I have heard whispers of people doing a platinum week (Go out every night and then go to every lecture).

Depends on the course, some it can be done easily. Also alot of ppl will go for a just one in the bar, does tht count?.

Have sex in as many different places on campus as possible..
    Nap some where.
    And lots of tea! :D
    Find 'secret' lakes

Convince 1st years of many stupid things....And ya know...get a degree eventually...:rolleyes: or at the very least laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ostracise mature students and scoff at their constant sitting at the front of lectures and actually asking questions in lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Get excessively hyped up about 'secret' lakes and then feel utterly disappointed by them... unless you have someone to enjoy them with.

If living past Bray and commuting, learn to loathe the 145 and 46a.

Climb the Tierney Merville dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Completely forgot, Jock walk, if you're in Sci...or just like labcoats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I managed this, there's even a photo of us shaking hands and smiling on the UCD website. A sad day for me that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

That can be the last one, provided you go to your graduation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Conor108 wrote: »
    Find 'secret' lakes

I've done all of the above - though thankfully there's not a photo of me with Hugh Brady on the UCD website (that I know of!), though someone did put it up on facebook!
    ghostchant wrote: »
    That can be the last one, provided you go to your graduation

That's assuming he actually goes to your graduation. There was one a few years ago where he didn't go - sent one of the VPs instead.

Erm... other stuff that should be done before you leave college...
    • Find Richview on a map and actually go there
    • Find the rifle club range
    • Go to at least one UCD rugby or soccer match
    • Meet someone the first day of college and then end up avoiding them for the rest of your time at UCD
    • Try and figure out what the SU actually does
    • Get barred from the student bar
    • Turn up to an exam drunk or hungover (this is becoming more popular, but not to be recommended, especially if you're not sitting near the toilets)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Ride the Golden Egg Dr Strangelove style

Visit the very boring tunnels

Attempt (only attempt) to set up a society

Try out for the community musical

Shake hands with Hugh Brady

Talk to Martin Butler as if he knew you, and observe him trying to remember who you are

Hide Chicken Goujons in your rice from the Restaurant and watch the til-lady poke a fork through it in an attempt to catch you out

Throw an egg

Get chased by the security

Rip a poster off the wall

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

All the tunnels have a grate on them, don't they? As in, you can't get into any of them?

All the tunnels have a grate on them, don't they? As in, you can't get into any of them?

Nah some of them are open now and again and there's one that's always open. A few lads from the observer newspaper got in there last year. I know a good few who've been there but they all said its incredibly uninteresting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Nah some of them are open now and again and there's one that's always open. A few lads from the observer newspaper got in there last year. I know a good few who've been there but they all said its incredibly uninteresting.

Interesting! Is what I hear true, i.e. that there is a tunnel connecting the student centre with the library / Newman building? In which case they sound fantastic! What is their purpose anyway?

/sidetracks thread!

• Advertisement

Interesting! Is what I hear true, i.e. that there is a tunnel connecting the student centre with the library / Newman building? In which case they sound fantastic! What is their purpose anyway?

/sidetracks thread!

The tunnels run from the water tower in a straight line down as far as the Quinn building where the grate is in front of it. You can get into most of the original buildings (Newman, Science, Engineering etc) from them. They're used for all the electrical, telephone and gas lines in UCD. Ever notice how there's no phone lines up in the air in Belfield??? There's your answer :D.

Advertisement