Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some so expensive?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Just curious really I've paid €50 and another time I was going to go it was €70 but that was too expensive.

I understand it's draining but the time it was €50 it was in my home and he wanted a group of 6 - by chance 8 were there so he earned +€300 for less than 5 hours, one girl was only there for 15 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Dors1976 wrote: »
    Just curious really I've paid €50 and another time I was going to go it was €70 but that was too expensive.

The fees that readers charge have been contested, discussed and debated on the forum before. Some people are okay with handing over €50, while others think it's pretty scandalous. From what I've noticed, the majority of readers in Ireland charge €50. The only readers that I know of who charge less than this are Billy Martin in Mullingar (€30), the White Witch in Cork (€25), and Mrs Alderidge/Aldridge also in Cork (€20).

On the opposite end of the fees spectrum, I'm aware that Dympna Hughes in Dublin charges €70, Joe Gough in Co. Westmeath charges €80 (I think it used to be €70 not too long ago), and Carol Byrne in Wexford charges €80 (she had been charging people €70 for a number of years). Personally, I think €50 is plenty to be paying these people, whether they do readings full-time or not, and that anything exceeding that is a piss-take. If I were them, I know I wouldn't feel right to be taking anything more than €50 from individuals. But that's just my opinion.

I suppose it's entirely up to the reader themselves what they wish to charge people and, if the quality of their readings is good, that may merit some people choosing to pay that amount for the service.
    I understand it's draining but the time it was €50 it was in my home and he wanted a group of 6 - by chance 8 were there so he earned +€300 for less than 5 hours, one girl was only there for 15 mins.

Okay, so he basically charged you all as if he were to read each person individually and charge them €50 like in a typical one-to-one reading setting. That's standard stuff and it sounds reasonable.

But you say that one girl was only there for 15 mins. I don't understand why a reader would charge a person €50 for a meagre 15 minutes-long reading. That isn't right. I also don't understand why she paid him that amount - €15-€20 would have sufficed, tbh. A one-to-one reading costing €50 would last the guts of one hour ordinarily, so that guy was really taking the piss charging that girl €50 for a 15 mins reading.

Btw, did you all feel that the readings you had were good? Was it value for money (bar the girl who forked out €50 for a 15 mins reading)?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ill lay my opinion on the line: I think many overcharge.

I suppose you could allow that if a reader has high rent to pay, and tax etc, you can justify a pretty hefty charge for the time they commit to each person. €50 is ok if you are giving a good, accurate reading and taking your time over it. But I still think a lot of them milk it, anyone who charges €70 for less than an hour is taking the proverbial.

I realise a lot of readers are providing a type of counselling, but most arent qualified and havent invested time and money in college, which a psychologist does. Yet they charge the same rate.

I did dip my toe into reading for money, and I couldnt do it, it went totally against the grain. I did a fair and charged less than everyone else. Lets just say the other readers werent happy with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭SparrowTown

Oryx wrote: »
    I did dip my toe into reading for money, and I couldnt do it, it went totally against the grain.
    can you say why and elaborate
    I did a fair and charged less than everyone else. Lets just say the other readers werent happy with me.
    what did the other readers say

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Btw, did you all feel that the readings you had were good? Was it value for money (bar the girl who forked out €50 for a 15 mins reading)?

1 girl said he told her nothing relevant but said that she was closed to it, which she admitted to me before she went.

I really got a lot from the reading and have gone to him since but I'm a firm believer.

the girl who was only there for 15mins got lots of information and was happy with the information but not the price but equally I told her to take it up with him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I think its scandalous what readers charge.

Especially as they know there is no comeback if they have given you a completely inaccurate reading.

Funnily enough, anyone I have ever encountered who has innate ability to read is loathe to charge money.
    Having said that, I do understand that is the way some people choose and need to make a living, nonetheless, anything beyond €20-€25 an hour is sheer greed, IMO, give or take the differences needed for overheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

1 girl said he told her nothing relevant but said that she was closed to it, which she admitted to me before she went.

I don't know whether or not I will ever understand, or even be arsed to understand, this whole schtick about, "I couldn't/can't read you because you're 'closed off'". It seems to me to be a cop-out.
    I really got a lot from the reading and have gone to him since but I'm a firm believer.

the girl who was only there for 15mins got lots of information and was happy with the information but not the price but equally I told her to take it up with him ;)

Fair enough. I agree that it was up to herself to challenge the payment with him. She's her own person.

Advertisement