Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do I do what I do?

• 27-09-2010 2:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

As I sit here, a foolish student teacher, writing lesson plans I'm going to have to teach in less that 7 hours I wonder what in the name of god am I doing.
    Then I realise I would rather do this than know I'll be in work tomorrow answering phones or standing behind a counter.

That realisation made me want to ask;
    'Why did we all choose our careers? Are you happy in yours? If you could, would you do things differently?'

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I currently grind poker for a living, i set my own times but i usually have to play 6-7 hrs per day and it does drain you a lot of the time and sometimes you become a zombie but it pays the bills and im not much good at anything else.
    It took a lot of time to learn to play and i only do it for the rakeback which is why i play so much, 8 tables at a time at the moment.
    Im going to try and take 4 days off at the start of every month so i can just recharge because you can get pretty burned out, but i guess im my own boss and i can set at home with a nice fire in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I watch football matches and tennis tournaments for a statistics company and paint naked women.

So, yeah, I'm happy!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Stop the feckin moaning teach, the October Bank Holiday is only a month away and sure then you'll do a few weeks work before 2 off at Xmas, then a few more till mid-term, then a few more till 10 days off at Easter. Then 2 months for the summer Thats why you're doing the job, and if you haven't realised that yet then resign and do something else and see how you like working 48 weeks out of 52.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I currently grind poker for a living, i set my own times but i usually have to play 6-7 hrs per day and it does drain you a lot of the time and sometimes you become a zombie but it pays the bills and im not much good at anything else.
    It took a lot of time to learn to play and i only do it for the rakeback which is why i play so much, 8 tables at a time at the moment.
    Im going to try and take 4 days off at the start of every month so i can just recharge because you can get pretty burned out, but i guess im my own boss and i can set at home with a nice fire in the winter.
    HU4ROLLZ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

RATM wrote: »
    Stop the feckin moaning teach, the October Bank Holiday is only a month away and sure then you'll do a few weeks work before 2 off at Xmas, then a few more till mid-term, then a few more till 10 days off at Easter. Then 2 months for the summer Thats why you're doing the job, and if you haven't realised that yet then resign and do something else and see how you like working 48 weeks out of 52.

Jealousy fairy in da house!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

HU4ROLLZ?

:D Im not that drunk nor likely to ever be that drunk. Also never play heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I said student techer. I dont get paid for my teaching, I have college as well as another job. Folding clothes and shifting boxes and serving the ignornant irish public. Regardless of when there are holidays I work 52 weeks a year.

And how about you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I tried it but I just don't have the temperament for it.

I'm much too impulsive, no patience.

I had my best ever year at the horses this year, based on winnings.

An extraordinary amount, thought I was Patrick Veitch.

I then went and lost those winnings.

Just when I thought my system was unbeatable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    'Why did we all choose our careers? Are you happy in yours? If you could, would you do things differently?'

I didnt choose mine. I took a good job offer, which turned out to be very mediocre, and I'm here since. Still, cant complain, at least I have a job for now. I'm not happy, but I am prepared to tolerate it. And of course I would do things differently if I could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i choose the industry because i know I think out side of the box so i may aswell use it to my advantage :)

• Advertisement

I chose it so I would be able to continue learning/studying, I knew if I took a normal 9-5 I'd get stuck in a rut and fairly miserable fairly quick. Hate it on evenings I have to study for an upcoming exam lol but no, overally I'm very glad I chose it.
    Plus the money makes/will make it all worthwhile :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Was finishing up college and working part time. Went into an agancy who sent me for an interview for a tech support job. Over 4 years later and I'm an underpaid IT technician. I like my job most days. Not today though, I'm very, very hungover.

:Puke smiley:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I said student techer. I dont get paid for my teaching, I have college as well as another job. Folding clothes and shifting boxes and serving the ignornant irish public. Regardless of when there are holidays I work 52 weeks a year.

And how about you? :rolleyes:

Putting the words 'student' and 'techer' (sic) together is just enhancing the image of feckless wastelry for many people, I reckon.

I'm not sure why I do what I do for a living. I kind of fell into it because it would pay the bills and allow me to live here. I've never had, or even imagined a job that I would consider worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'm not sure why I do what I do for a living. I kind of fell into it because it would pay the bills and allow me to live here. I've never had, or even imagined a job that I would consider worthwhile.

THIS. A MILLION THOUSAND TIMES.

I thought I'd figure out what I wanted to do, but still no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

As I sit here, a foolish student teacher, writing lesson plans I'm going to have to teach in less that 7 hours I wonder what in the name of god am I doing.
    Then I realise I would rather do this than know I'll be in work tomorrow answering phones or standing behind a counter.

That realisation made me want to ask;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Jump the gun again RATM and get wrong. You seem good at that haha. Well done to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Admit it, who now has this song stuck in their head as a result of the thread title?

But yeah, fell in to mine. Money nice and secure = paying for food and holidays. Hurray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

A teacher one told me that there are only three reasons to become a teacher:

June
    July
    August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

THEY GIVE ME MONEY TO BE ON BOARDS!!

Advertisement