Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to join the non drinkers group

• 27-09-2010 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I have to stop drinking. I can't handle it. I don't know the one that's one too many and it's damaging relationships.
    I think I can do it I just want to write it somewhere. I don't need drink. I can enjoy myself and have confidence without it... right? do you find nights out hard without drink? I'm back to college now and I fully intend to say no to drink but some things are easier said than done. sorry if I'm rambling any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Decided at an early age that I didn't want to drink. Got through my teenage years without touching the stuff, no big deal. It's normal for me to go out and not drink. I can't say what it's like for someone who is used to drinking when out though. I suppose it must seem pretty daunting. It's down to you making a decision, not half-heartedly thinking you should stop. If you decide that you want to drink something non-alcoholic from now on then take that step and don't feel bad about it. You'll be surprised at the positive reaction there is toward someone with the courage and mental strength to do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not trying to rain on any parade here. I started drinking just before I turned 17. Late for about 80% of Irish teens. All of my friends used to drink from about 15 or so and whenever we went up to teenage discoes or anything I'd be really one of the only ones not drinking,but still had a good time.
    As soon as I started drinking I'd always have a much better time. I went out one night there during the summer and didn't drink(I was driving),and it was the first time I went out sober since I started drinking.
    To say it was one of the most boring nights I ever had was an understatement. I ended up leaving well before one o'clock.I couldn't believe how **** it was,considering I used to never drink but still go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

The first big step you have already taken and thats to realise that you need to stop. From here on you well have plenty ups and downs so just be prepared for things and try to consider seeking advice from a GP for your next step. All the best
    FM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Some people can't let go without drink. Some people can be the centre of the party with or without drink.

It really comes down to how much you give a f**k. When you're drunk, you probably don't, and go with the flow. When you're sober, you may think one too many times about something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Most of it depends on how many of your friends are 'drinking buddies'. Those people will fall away immediately.

If you have a good core group of friends, then you're on easy street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

the_syco wrote: »
    Some people can't let go without drink. Some people can be the centre of the party with or without drink.

It really comes down to how much you give a f**k. When you're drunk, you probably don't, and go with the flow. When you're sober, you may think one too many times about something.

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Archiver

It can be tough, especially if you feel there is peer pressure to drink, but you sound really strong and it's great that you've decided this is the right course of action for you.

Drink has never been either a problem or especially important to me, but regardless I stopped drinking alcohol some years ago as it really didn't mix well with medication I have to take every day. And strangely now it would be my choice not to drink, even if I could. It's nice to never have to worry about getting a taxi home, and never waking up with a thick head in the morning. I rather enjoy being the sober one and I have never once felt as if I was missing out on the fun. My only gripe is that I do think drinks manufacturers could do a bit more to cater for us non-drinkers. I don't have a sweet tooth, and there are only so many tomato juices a girl can drink, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭billybenner

is there a non drinking group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

No formal group associated with this forum if that's what you mean? This is more just a venue for the meeting of like minded people for the exchange of ideas and opinions if that was what you were asking about? From following this forum for the last year or so it seems that any suggestions of meet ups never really take off unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 alanna22

thanks for all replies, I know I'm about a month late but my internet has been very tempermental so apologies and many thanks! I haven't drank since that post and a lot in my life has changed. the 'drinking buddies' were not real friends and once I got rid of the drink they went too. sad but I'm fine with that, it' just hard starting from scratch with new people. you raised a good few points and yeah alcohol can be great fun. But in moderation. I used it to become more outgoing and to hide my shyness. then I needed more and more to get drunk and stop overthinking- too much. and when I had too much I just got depressed. no one likes a sad drunk! Feel much better without it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

alanna22 wrote: »
    thanks for all replies, I know I'm about a month late but my internet has been very tempermental so apologies and many thanks! I haven't drank since that post and a lot in my life has changed. the 'drinking buddies' were not real friends and once I got rid of the drink they went too. sad but I'm fine with that, it' just hard starting from scratch with new people. you raised a good few points and yeah alcohol can be great fun. But in moderation. I used it to become more outgoing and to hide my shyness. then I needed more and more to get drunk and stop overthinking- too much. and when I had too much I just got depressed. no one likes a sad drunk! Feel much better without it :)

Good going! what part of Ireland are you from? Don't start drinking again, no matter what the occasion is. THere is a temptation to start again if you are no longer having problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

alanna22 wrote: »

Well done. You will feel twice as good without it! The longer you're off it the better you will feel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good work OP. I'm sure you're sensible and insightful enough to recognise how rewarding the process can be even if it's not always easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 alanna22

thanks all :) yeah it's definitely worth it, not wakng up after a night out wondering what I did, how embarrassing I was and when will the hangover go away! can't beat it!! and zero_nine, just outside Dublin in Kildare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement