Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype from a mobile phone

Options
  • 27-09-2010 5:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Have any of you guys had any experience using Skype from a mobile?

Does it work OK?

Does calling overseas affect the quality of the call?

Ive heard there can be a slight delay with Skype and am wondering what your experience has been...

Which is the best phone for using Skype?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

i use skype on my phone on a regular basis, i use the nokia n97, get the odd ones where i can't hear anythin, just call back and it works, it all depends on your 3g or wireless at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Well, I'm a new Three customer with a Sony Ericsson W995 direct from the manafacturer (completely unlocked) and I can't even download the application from My3.

"Invalid Operation"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well, I'm a new Three customer with a Sony Ericsson W995 direct from the manafacturer (completely unlocked) and I can't even download the application from My3.

"Invalid Operation"

Because you need the three firmware on the handset for it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

My 3 isn't an application it's a web address. Look at the sticky for the Internet settings and address for planet 3.

Ignite this I read post wrong Davy is correct

Hmmm... That's bad. They use (for new SIM Only Customers) the enticing prospect of Free Skype, WLM and others. Is there any, ahem, way to get my hands on the firmware?

Most of all, is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I use it on my iphone with my wi-fi and the quality is superb.
    It's a pain when calling someone that's using a laptop without a headset though. Noise of the fan drives me :mad:

My calls are all from and to Ireland though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭sioda

I use it a good bit from my nokia n97 mini and the app is well made and once 3g coverage is good call quality is as good if not better than the laptop. Over wifi even better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Make video and voice calls using skype from the N900 on meteor a fair bit and it's always been flawless. Obviously quality will dip if you're on the move and go into a spot of bad 3G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any, ahem, way to get my hands on the firmware?

Most of all, is it worth it?

Brand it with the /3 IE/BLACK HUTCH-WORLD - Firmware, you can do it yourself at the Davinciteam website.
    It'll set you back 10 euro, if your on 3 and running into some glitches it's probably worth it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

But, drunkmonkey, how trusted are these daviniteam folks? I've heard of them before, but aren't they just a bunch of cracker/hackers with the gear and the system knowledge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I trust them, they've excellent online support, it's easy to do, pay your 10 euro, download the client, download the w995 drivers and brand with the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Well here's my story.
    I've switched to 3 a week ago, from Meteor, using a Nokia E63 which was unlocked from Vodafone.

I just setup the 3 Internet Settings and I was able to download, install, and use Skype no problem. I didn't have to update Firmware or get any certificate of the likes, more than likely because the Nokia E63 is one of 3's supported phones.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Doocey wrote: »

I just setup the 3 Internet Settings and I was able to download, install, and use Skype no problem.

Just to be clear, it was skype from the 3 portal, rather then from skype.com or ovi etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Works great on my iphone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Davy wrote: »
    Just to be clear, it was skype from the 3 portal, rather then from skype.com or ovi etc?

Yes. :) Once the homepage is set, and the 3 Internet settings are setup correctly, the "Services" part is where you can download 3's customized apps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Irritatingly they don't have the applications on the 3 website a lot of the time. I was able to download the 3 skype program and email on 3 program from their website when i had an n95, but then i switched to an n97 and they said neither of these programs were compatible with it. I then checked their english website, and the programs were there, so i got the sis files from there and loaded them onto my phone, and they now work exactly as they would if 3 ireland were arsed hosting them.

Advertisement