Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jean-Michel Jarre October 4th - The O2

Options
  • 27-09-2010 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

OK, enough of all that Buble crooner madness, it's time to look forward to a truly entertaining night with one of the pioneers of electronic music, JMJ himself.

Really looking forward to this one as I missed the chance to see him at the concert hall a few years back for his Oxygene Anniversary tour.

I think this tour is going down well because he's playing what the masses want to hear, his greatest hits.
    His latest shows at Santiago de Compostela proves he can still do the big events.

It's good to see this in the O2, indoor is ideal for his shows to appreciate the best in sound quality and he's bringing so many lasers with him we'll be seeing stars!

And for all us tech gadget nerds, he's using the laser harp :D

Roll on next Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

seriously, is there no one interested in this? OK, maybe it's just nerdy old me but I would have thought there'd be more interest amongst us boardsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

i'll be there man :) really just to see his set up and of course the lasers, i will be watching closely to what is live and what is recorded but hey looking forward to it, a nice night out watching the original main man of the scene with lots of analogue goodness :) roll on

empirix wrote: »
    i'll be there man :) really just to see his set up and of course the lasers, i will be watching closely to what is live and what is recorded but hey looking forward to it, a nice night out watching the original main man of the scene with lots of analogue goodness :) roll on

yippee, good to know someone else will be there.
    I would have doubted he'd use any analogue gear for this tour, the analogue synths are way too unreliable in terms of tuning etc. and this tour seems like a more polished event compared to the Oxygene tour, but hey, I could be wrong.

It would have been nice if he used traditional percussion too but nope, he's using the synths etc for that too from what I can see.

The laser harp has been proving to be problematic for him on some of his shows but the guy is a master of improvisation and he continues to entertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'll be there too, going with my Dad, looking forward to it! :)

yippee, good to know someone else will be there.
    I would have doubted he'd use any analogue gear for this tour, the analogue synths are way too unreliable in terms of tuning etc. and this tour seems like a more polished event compared to the Oxygene tour, but hey, I could be wrong.

It would have been nice if he used traditional percussion too but nope, he's using the synths etc for that too from what I can see.

The laser harp has been proving to be problematic for him on some of his shows but the guy is a master of improvisation and he continues to entertain.

wow, he has the use the analogue stuff, thats really what his all about, his always done it so i would be shocked if he didn't and will be really pissed off if he doesn't but im confident he will, from looking on the net he is and just playing all his hits, if you can call em that apart from the obvious ones! anyway enjoy!

• Advertisement

wow, he has the use the analogue stuff, thats really what his all about, his always done it so i would be shocked if he didn't and will be really pissed off if he doesn't but im confident he will, from looking on the net he is and just playing all his hits, if you can call em that apart from the obvious ones! anyway enjoy!

there's limited info on his set lists here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

I will be going too. Don't know what the ticket sales have been like, but I wasn't going to miss it.

Hoping to try get an autograph on my Destination Docklands poster from the 80's.

London was the one and only live gig I've been to so really looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I'll be there with the hubby :D. He saw him in London in the 80s. I'm really excited about it now!
    Can anyone tell me whats the story with parking?

chucken1 wrote: »
    I'll be there with the hubby :D. He saw him in London in the 80s. I'm really excited about it now!
    Can anyone tell me whats the story with parking?

I believe the O2 has parking now, you can buy a parking ticket via ticketmaster for €7 but I reckon you can probably pay at the car park tomorrow, maybe ring the O2 to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Hi all -

Will be there too - hoping to get an autograph too - where would I go after the concert?

John.
    --

• Advertisement

Cloud wrote: »
    Hi all -

Will be there too - hoping to get an autograph too - where would I go after the concert?

John.
    --

good question, I presume he may hang around after the show but given the size of the venue it's not ideal to see where he is and walk up to the man. I know he did something similar in the NCH but that's a more intimate venue.
    Maybe find out what hotel he's staying at.

its not sold out anyway!!! plenty of tickets left i hear but we'll see, i believe its a 10 for parking, will be walking myself drop in for a few beers somewhere:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I'm going tonight... Very very excited.. I've been a fan since the 80's but this is my first time to see him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I'm really looking forward to tonight. YouTube footage of previous shows looks incredible. I'm particularly looking forward to Rendevouz 2.
    He starts at 8pm sharp, so get there early.
    Hope he gets the crowd his show deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

Would of loved to go see the genius at work but nobody would go with me.
    What was he like?

yeah, good gig, bit corny at times but i have to say i really enjoyed it, happened to pop into the Oktoberfest in ifsc before the gig, nearly out of it on the way/in to the gig, popped back in on the way back too, :) but yeah i enjoyed the gig, good lot of empty seats but it was good to see the man live, worth the cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

I thought it was a fantastic show, really really enjoyed it. Don't suppose anyone has a setlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Great show :D
    Was fantastic to hear masterpieces like Oxygene played live !
    Those vintage synths do sound great !

Good crowd too , really enjoyed it :-)

I absolutely loved the show :D.Got to shake the great mans hand as he was going to the stage :p.He really is a genius!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Probably only knew one of his songs and went on a whim at the last second based on reputation and was glad to have done so. Very impressive and kept my attention even though I was hearing most of the stuff for the first time.

• Advertisement

I thought the gig was great too but was disappointed with the audience numbers. How JLS can sell out 2 nights and Jean Michel Jarre half fills the venue amazes me.
    He seemed to enjoy it and hopefully will return.
    The visuals were incredible especially the laser harp.
    Great to hear Equinoxe, Rendevouz, Oxegene, Magnetic fields etc live and loud.
    Great gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I love the way he walked down through the crowd at the start of the concert. And I loved the fact that some of what he did last night took me back 22 years to the Destination Docklands gig in London. And I love the reaction he got from the crowd. Plus I hope I'm that fit in 25 years time.

Someone's going to have to tell me if any radio station is actually playing his stuff because I think that's the lack...I don't listen to much radio here (internet ftw and as far as JMJ is concerned that's all sorted for me anyway with years).

Such a contrast between gigs. Last time I was in the O2 it was for GnR. By contrast, last night started more or less on time, was good tempered, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves (except the girl next to me who'd clearly been dragged along by her friend) and everyone was good natured coming out after a 2 hour gig.

Here's hoping for a DVD release of this tour!

Would of loved to go see the genius at work but nobody would go with me.
    What was he like?

I had the same problem but it didn't stop me from seeing the man live. I met some fans and we had a good chat about JMJ (as true JMJ nerds do:D)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the show. He was in great form and he out so much into getting the crowd up on their feet and his persistance paid off.

Sound was top notch and the lighting was very good. I loved the viuals, especially when he had the camera attached to himself so we could see on the backdrop what he was playing.

The laser harp was great to see live, I always thought it was a bit of a gimmick but seeing it live my mind has been changed, great stuff altogether and great technology.

I know I doubted the use of his analogue gear on this tour and how wrong I was, he had all the gear working like a well oiled machine and boy, how well it sounded.
    JMJ is in great shape, I don't know how many times he ran across the stage but fair play to him.

Oh, and I had to laugh when he apologised for the World Cup, I think his timing of this apology added to it, at the end of the show :D

I too was disappointed with the turnout but hey, so what if a bunch of over-marketed lads from England sell out two nights at the O2 but will JLS be touring 30 years after their debut album...hardly.

I took some video clips from the show so once I get a chance to upload them on youtube I'll post links....it was funny to hear JMJ thank us all for recording the show and putting it on youtube...he thanked us for the promotional work :) whereas some artists might get all snotty and have people with cameras thrown out.

poundhound wrote: »
    Here's hoping for a DVD release of this tour!

that would be good and could be likely too. However apart from the camera shooting him directly at the front of the stage did anyone else see other cameras? I didn't see any other ones there so chances are Dublin won't feature on the DVD, or not too much anyway.

Run Forrest Run...I meant to thank you for the info on parking! Thanks!:D
    I'm still high as a kite from last night...on the music!nothing else. Jebus it really was special. I think the size of the crowd was reflected in the overall age group:oAh us oldies can give them young wans a run for their money..as JMJ showed!
    Oh ya..the back of my head is on youtube:D

Calina wrote: »
    I love the way he walked down through the crowd at the start of the concert. And I loved the fact that some of what he did last night took me back 22 years to the Destination Docklands gig in London. And I love the reaction he got from the crowd. Plus I hope I'm that fit in 25 years time.

Someone's going to have to tell me if any radio station is actually playing his stuff because I think that's the lack...I don't listen to much radio here (internet ftw and as far as JMJ is concerned that's all sorted for me anyway with years).

Such a contrast between gigs. Last time I was in the O2 it was for GnR. By contrast, last night started more or less on time, was good tempered, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves (except the girl next to me who'd clearly been dragged along by her friend) and everyone was good natured coming out after a 2 hour gig.

I know a little internet radio station that will be playing his music from about 9pm Thursday;). Dont know if I can put the link up here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah had a really great night myself, think I was one of the youngest people there but it didn't bother me! Everyone seemed to be on a good buzz. He really has some energy for a 62 year old, incredible.

yeah was great, was impressed wih the o2, a lot better than the old layout, great view of the stage from all angles!! Only let down for me was that song he wrote on the way back from China, bit too dark/sad for my liking, the rest was great :)

• Advertisement

yeah was great, was impressed wih the o2, a lot better than the old layout, great view of the stage from all angles!! Only let down for me was that song he wrote on the way back from China, bit too dark/sad for my liking, the rest was great :)

have you not heard 'Souvenir of China' before? It's an OK track I guess but I think in terms of darkness I think Rendez Vous 2 is one of his darkest and most dramatic tracks and he played it well on Monday night along with superb visuals.
    Lets hope the DVD will be out for Christmas but I guess it depends on when the world tour ends.

Advertisement