Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disturbing neighbours

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Im renting a 2 bedroom apartment.
    Last night my neighbours (elderly couple, 60+) was singin karaoke until 2am.
    I knocked to their door ab. 11.30pm, and asked them to be quiet, since i have to wake up 4.30am and go to work.

All i got as answer was loads of insults, and that she is owning the apartment, and there is nothing we can do ab. it.

I told to her, that i can call Gardai then.. She went absolutly mad, and started to shout even more. She then jumped out every 1/2 hour and shouted under our windows, if im already called the police etc..

I gave up, and had a sleepless night.

Who should i contact if this happens again, or is it just to move out?

I think its not a legal reason to terminate a lease if your neighbours are disturbing you?

Basicly her behaviour was so odd, that i dont even feel comfortable to return to my home today after work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Feel your pain. Especially when you have to be up for work the next morning :(

That kind of behavior is unacceptable.. You've already spoken to her about the noise, if she's not going to be reasonable absolutely call the guards.

There's domestic noise regulations for that kind of thing after 11pm far as I know.

You could also contact your landlord and explain the situation. I'm not sure about legal reasons for terminating the lease but firstly, you shouldn't have to move out just because of her, and secondly, if you're a good tenant and paying good money for rent most landlords will want to help ensure they keep you happy.

Hope that's of some help. Either way, nip it in the bud and don't feel intimidated by some 60 year old bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You could call your management company, or ask your landlord to. Most apartment complexes have 'house rules' stating when noise levels have to be kept down. They can get in touch with your neighbours and ask them to keep the noise levels down.

Sadly it could be a long drawn out process though, there's no quick fix.

I don't see what calling the gardai will achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Gardai won't do anything, best route is Management company. Mine are good at giving out to people and shifted a crowd that were renting above me, harder to discipline owners I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Gardai won't do anything, ..

Why are you so sure about this? If they call out and there's plain evidence of disruptive noise they can issue a warning, future incidents a court summons / fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

brk3 wrote: »
    Why are you so sure about this? If they call out and there's plain evidence of disruptive noise they can issue a warning, future incidents a court summons / fine?

The gardai have no power to do anything regarding noise pollution. We have lived with this situation for four years, the guards are very helpful
    but as they cannot access the property, no matter how loud the music is, they can only request the music to be turned down. We have been told on numerous occasions by the guards we have to go down the "civil court route".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Most management companies will specify that noise be kept to a low level after about 10.30pm. Contact the management company of your apartment complex as Im sure they will know how to deal with this.

I agree calling the guards probably will not achieve much as they can only call around and ask them to turn the music down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are they the church going type? If so, get some Cradle of Filth, or just google "statanic death metal", and play it to your hearts content.

At high volume.

When you're at work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Hang on a second, is this the first/only time it's ever happened or is it a recurring problem? If it's a once off perhaps it was just a birthday or anniversary, and I'd leave it be for now. If it's a recurring thing then I'd be on to the ll and management co.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

AvaKinder wrote: »
    Hang on a second, is this the first/only time it's ever happened or is it a recurring problem? If it's a once off perhaps it was just a birthday or anniversary, and I'd leave it be for now. If it's a recurring thing then I'd be on to the ll and management co.

Its a recurring problem. We have been living there 4 mths, and it started from the first day, usually 2-3 days per week.

And thanks all for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dumb suggestion snipped

Nope criminal damage and harrassment are not the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Normally it's the elderly complaining students and young people having parties, rare you see it the other way around

I'm with the_syco, do that

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The problem with the 'get them back with loud music' suggestion is that in an apartment block it will only serve to annoy other people as well.

Works in a semi-d of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

You need to make a note of the day/date on which there is excessive noise after the 'curfew' (the exact time of the 'quiet hours' should be noted in your lease). Also make a note of whether or not you called over there, the time you did so, who you spoke to and what was said by both parties. Try get a recording of the noise if possible, too.

You should then contact your landlord and tell them what's happening and that you're going to the management company to lodge a complaint.

Unfortunately there's very little the guards can do, but you could try go down the civil route of excessive noise pollution.

The neighbour was in our place yesterday and asked for me, but i was still at work.
    She never came back at evening when i was home, but it was so quiet yesterday, i think my email to management company did the trick for a while..
    lets hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

finnteme wrote: »
    The neighbour was in our place yesterday and asked for me, but i was still at work.

Looks like you'll get an apology

Or maybe revenge as you reported her, watch your back OP :eek:

Or maybe revenge as you reported her, watch your back OP :eek:

Yeah, i was thinking ab. this also..
    lets see, whats happen tonite.. Im already decided, that if she become hostile i just close the door, its no idea to start an argument, if the other part is hostile from the start.

Little update for this, they indeed came and apologize!
    :)

Last week was so quiet, and i have slept like an princess every night!

Hopes that this will last :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Glad you got it sorted.... You should open a karaoke bar next to your apartments.... Those old guys would make you a fortune! :cool:

Advertisement