Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prescription cycling glasses

• 27-09-2010 9:38am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here use prescription cycling glasses. I'm pretty short sighted, and found going in and out of low sunlight over the weekend to be hard work. Any recommendations for a good shop in the Dublin area, decent brand, and what I can expect to pay. My current glasses darken in sunlight, but are less than useless with a lot of low sun coming in from the side.

Googling seems to suggest that inserts on regular cycling glasses is more cost effective than having presciption sunglasses made up, but alot of reviews seem quite negative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i wear contact lenses, my local optician has arange (of very expensive addidas glasses) or if you have a friendly optician i noticed these recently

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51609
    compatible with these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51558

so 65 quid plus whatever your optician charges for lenses (i know mine would fit lenses at a reasonable price)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

My wife is an optician with a Specsavers practice. I'll ask her what is the best solution. I know if you get your prescription from your optician you can go to any optician with any frame and ask them if they could make them up for you. They may not always be able to as different lens thicknesses will suit different frames. I'll get back later when she is back from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 here for contacts, though I know they don't work for some people. It means being able to pick whatever sunglasses you like and change them whenever you want. Added bonus is being able to remove your glasses when they fog up or the sun goes in.

The inserts that edwnireland mentions seem to be a good compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

Getting prescription lenses in sunglasses shouldn't be any more expensive than getting standard glasses. Avoid expensive brands as the cost is mainly for the non-presription lenses and not the frames. Also, you don't need to get same-brand lenses when getting prescription lenses made. There are lots of frames that are bend-able and therefore very sturdy. I had prescription lenses put in a pair of Bolle sunglasses several years ago; I don't know what model they are but they were cheap, effective and are still in use.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I get mine mail order from the UK - Usually Optilabs - you give them your prescription, and they arrive on your doorstep a couple of weeks later

I've bought about 4 pairs from them, and would never go back to normal specs now.

I've also used Go Sports Spex although for my prescription a lot of their frames require inserts behind normal sunglasses, which I find a complete pain to clean (and keep clean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Hi there,
    My sister has got 2 pairs through Oakley.

Basically you forward your prescription to them and they make the lens for you.

They used to have a base here, originally in Bray and then they moved to Mullingar, but you should email them for details.

She got a pair of Half Jackets and a pair of Fives as well, but they basically do most of their styles as prescription.

They are quite reasonable in price and the turnaround time is about 10 working days, she tells me.

The joy of the Half Jackets is that you can very easily replace just a lens if they get broken/sat on/scratched etc and they do the replacements via a guarantee scheme that only charges you the cost price.

Hopefully of some help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have a "thing" about my eyes so I'm very reluctant to get them zapped or go sticking anything in them.

I got me a pair of Oakley Jawbone with the transitions lenses. Would recommend as an investment. Can post a pic if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find I look "over" regular prescription sunglasses when on the bike. You'd need to get something that wraps close to the eye. I've been told, theres a limit to the prescriptions that you can have in a very curved lense. Someone nicked my fav pair from the car. Grrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

That's correct, I was using my standard "flat" glasses and the wind is terrible around them. I was then using my oakley square wires, better but can see over the top when in the drops or on the hoods.
    Hence the jawbones- perfect vision and no light seeping in at the edges.
    Like a lot of cycle clothing, not the subtelest when off the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ckeego wrote: »
    She got a pair of Half Jackets and a pair of Fives as well, but they basically do most of their styles as prescription....

Is this where you ordered them from?

http://ie.oakley.com/pd/6482

• Advertisement
Advertisement