Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(US) Dexter Season 5 Episode 1 - "My Bad" (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Summary (from wikipedia): The aftermath of Rita's death ensues. A funeral is held for her and Dexter has to explain to Astor and Cody what has happened to their mother. Meanwhile, Joey Quinn starts investigating Dexter for the death of his wife.

Haven't watched it myself yet, but I'm very, very excited about it after seeing the first few minutes here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nothing to get excited about. It was 50% archive material.

Don't really know what to make of that tbh. Harry's code is out the window.

Dexter's breakdown after killing the guy in the toilet was very, very unnerving. Very good season opener, definitely shows a lot of promise for the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Very good opener,I liked how they did flashbacks to how Dexter and Rita first met,and how it was actually just a cover so Dex could kill someone.

It was very unnerving in that he was showing nothing after Rita's death for the majority of the episode, because despite in the past that he claims he has no emotions we have seen taht is not true,we have seen him get angry and upset over things so I wasn't liking the complete lack of anything towards Rita's death.

However that scene in the petrol startion bathroom was brilliant,it all came out and at the end of the episode he finally realises that he actually did love Rita.

Where they go for the rest of the season will be interesting. Something tells me Quinn will find out about the whole Kyle Butler thing and that could get really interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

I wasn't mad on it to be honest. Nothing wrong with it, but it didn't get me too excited! Then again, what Dexter season-opener ever does? Might not watch for the next few weeks and watch a few in succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I thought it was great, very sombre start to the series as should have been expected, him snapping in the toilet was powerful on a whole new level, very interested to see the rest of the season now!

oh and Debra is a horny cow isnt she?! ;):p

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    Nothing to get excited about. It was 50% archive material.

Don't really know what to make of that tbh. Harry's code is out the window.

Can you say it was archive material when it was never shown before?

Can you say it was archive material when it was never shown before?

Ye it wasn't archive,it was flashbacks to the past but it is stuff we never saw before. Archive is when a tv show has a "clip show",where basically most of the episode is flashbacks and scenes from older episodes. Friends did a good few of them. Cheap way to use up an episode slot. However this wasn't archive and it certaintly wasn't 50% of the episode as the earlier poster mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok folks, it was flashbacks and flashbacks to do impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Pretty average:mad:

Quinn looks very skinny, did anyone else notice that??

zimovain wrote: »
    Pretty average:mad:

Quinn looks very skinny, did anyone else notice that??

He did look a bit different to me,not sure what it was.No time was supposed to have passed either but ye I did notice something about him.His face looks fairly skinny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

just watched it. might be my favourite episode of dexter ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

it was a good episode. i didnt envy them in starting season 5 but i think they did a good job. gonna be a weird few episodes before anything proper kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Great to have it back.

Enjoyed the episode.

It was nice that the writers gave Rita & Dexter a proper goodbye. :)

Quinn & Masuka have the makings of a great comedy duo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

MJRS wrote: »
    I wasn't mad on it to be honest. Nothing wrong with it, but it didn't get me too excited! Then again, what Dexter season-opener ever does? Might not watch for the next few weeks and watch a few in succession.

Exactly, not great - but does set it up to be an interesting season,
    it will improve that's for sure, I will do the same, i'll let some build up and
    watch in sequence, Quinn is gonna be on his back this season like Doakes
    was in S1-S2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I wasn't hugely impressed by it. I felt the pace was quite slow.

Hopefully next weeks episode is better. I'm refusing to watch any previews though!

Is there previews available ? ive seen some on youtube but none for 502 specifically, if anyone has 'em maybe they can spoiler 'em here...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I liked it without really expecting to, as I didn't enjoy season 4 that much. I think the only reason I stick with it is because Micheal C Hall is such an engaging actor. I've been re-watching Six Feet Under and the contrast between the characters he plays really highlights this. It also added a (somewhat unrelated) significance to the funeral home scene when the funeral director is offering his condolences and Dexter is thinking 'How does he do that? It almost sounds like he means it.' It immediately brought to mind him as David Fisher doing the very same thing episode after episode in Six Feet Under.

And yeah, Quin did look oddly different, I thought it was his hair though!

Hopefully there'll be less of the Batista/LaGuerta storyline this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

off topic slightly did anyone notice Michael C Halls hairpiece,obviously as he has been treated for cancer.i thought it was a good episode,we all knew it would be an aftermath episode.im looking forward to some good plots to develop.to the person who said they didnt like season 4!? what planet are you on!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A slow opener but I was pleased with it. Way too many flashbacks though for my liking.

Yeah, Season 4 was the best season (so far :) ) anyway, different strokes etc ... When Dexter was running I thought this season would be a hunt for him , while he continues his "work" elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ah the flashbacks brought a tear to my eye seeing the lovely Rita, Dexter was a bit of a robot in this didn't really help the kids out and leaving his baby with the cat woman downstairs was a bit stupid and I thought he showed more rage when he finally let go of his emotions in the Garage more then sadness at Rita's death. I'd give it about a 5

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

A Lot of atmosphere, which I liked.

Not a whole lot happens, so not very much to get excited about but I reckon that is mainly due to the fact that the last season finished on such a bombshell that they had to do a bit of settling in....aftermath episode as someone said. Couldn't exactly just jump back into normal Dexter action.

Lots of people suspicious of Dexter (Quinn, FBI, even Debs a little bit)... which will lead to a lot of Dexter covering his tracks which is always fun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I thought it was a very good episode. I liked how Dexter, someone so used to dealing with death in a clinical and emotionless way, now hasn't a clue how to deal with it. I had a weird unnerving feeling of somewhere between sadness, empathy, and comedy when Dexter said "Sorry for your loss" while wearing a mickey mouse hat.

I think they are going to have a good season that leaves us with a proper moral dilemma, of whether to root for Dexter or not. I can see him becoming a self serving monster throughout this season.

Those who thought it was slow. I think it had to be, to give a sense of enormity to the situation. If they dived straight into the cat and mouse game straight away without dealing with this, it would feel cheap, and like they are just brushing it under the carpet.

All in all I think it sets the scene nicely for the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I enjoyed it though it was a bit slow, but they did need to do an aftermath episode, let the gravity of the shock ending of season 4 set in. Other than Quinn's suspicions, there's not much to go on about the direction the season will take, so looking forward to that possibly next week. Great to have the show back anyway, I've missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great opener. Enjoyed every minute of it. Didn't think it was slow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Decent episode. Season openers (especially one dealing with someone like this) are never gonna be amazing and full of action.

Didn't find it slow - well, no more than 'Dexter' is usually. Don't get me wrong, I love the show... but it has a slow pace more often that not.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Wow I cant understand some of the very negative comments. Maybe I am just glad to see a new episode of dexter after watching lots of below par summer TV but I thought it was great.

True it was slow paced and nothing too dramatic happened. It didnt need any action though, the episode had to deal with the aftermath of finale and show what direction the series was heading in.

Cant wait to see the next episode :D
    Dexter has a lot of explaining to do already, its hard to see a way out of the whole Kyle Butler story.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

I thought it was a good episode. There were some great scenes, when he met the funeral man and when he told Astor and Cody. I'm looking forward to see how the writers prevent Dexter from being caught.

Also, add a poll for the next episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I enjoyed it.

I thought Dexter really revealed himself as being a freak in this episode; I was astonished that none of the regular characters reacted to it aloud (except Quinn). Dexter's reaction to Rita's death was emotionless; his demeanour when informing Astor, Cody and the grandparents of Rita's demise was also bizarre. Turning up to Rita's funeral dressed like that with his hair all over the place was also outlandish and will land him in trouble.

I think, though, that rather than standing around for an hour or two waiting for Dexter to show up, a manhunt would have been ordered by the FBI. He never showed up to his scheduled interview with them, and it looked like he'd miss the funeral. If I were looking for a killer, I'd assume he had something to feel guilty about and that he had absconded. I wouldn't have wasted time in initiating a search.

Two things that annoyed me:

1) Deb jumping on Quinn after mopping up Rita's blood. Quite simply ridiculous in my opinion and clearly an attempt by the writers to insert a gaudy sub-plot.

2) Masuka's joke about imagining Rita naked many times. Okay, I know it's his way, but just this once, I thought it was a little strained from a scrip point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Furet wrote: »
    Two things that annoyed me:

1) Deb jumping on Quinn after mopping up Rita's blood. Quite simply ridiculous in my opinion and clearly an attempt by the writers to insert a gaudy sub-plot.

2) Masuka's joke about imagining Rita naked many times. Okay, I know it's his way, but just this once, I thought it was a little strained from a scrip point of view.
    Yep, agreed on both points.

The Deb storyline seemed very contrived. Although Masuka's joke was probably meant to say that among the terrible situation, Masuka finds humour (or in Masuka's case, sexual deviance) in everything!

Advertisement