Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on which phone?!?

Options
  • 27-09-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

hi looking for a bit of help on an upgrade(maybe a push is what's needed)to a smart phone,i like the look of a few of them but not really sure,also been told by a vodafone rep to wait till nearer xmas as they are going to be giving phones away,bit of a list to what im looking for......

1)good camera with flash(galaxy out,pity i liked it)
    2)good signal
    3)decent battery life(day at least)
    4)fairly straight forward
    5)decent sat-nav
    6)easy web browsing

ok so im no techy so a fairly straight forward phone,camera with flash for night time pics(go to rallys) would be handy to have sat-nav and battery to last a day if travelling.

have done a lot of research and all the smart phones seem to have flaws ie;no flash,poor signal or poor battery life,or should i just wait and see what's on offer near xmas????
    all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

if you want a day at-least battery life i suggest you look at some nokia's more :) any half decent smart-phone will barely last you a day with decent usage :)

5800 XM has great battery life it usually last around 2 days even with some heavy use :) though camera and symbian was the killer for that phone :( don't know is there anything similar out there now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

If money isn't an object, you could consider the n8 which is due out soon. Obviously as it's not actually released yet you won't know how good or bad it is but by all accounts it's got what you're looking for. The camera seems to be the main selling point as it's got widest lens of any camera phone also the best flash available plus more megapixels than you need! Probably not as easy to use as other phones though, it'll take a bit of time to get used to symbian, but it's worth the time. As with all phones, there's a balancing act between battery life, processor speed, display, talk time, music/video playback time etc etc. The n8 has a less powerful processor speed than competitors but has a graphics accelerator and better battery time as a result. Or so the specs suggest. Hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be!

yeah lets just hope its not another N97

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

thanks for the idea's so far :)

att; captain morgan the e5 isn't really "doing anything for me" not sure why,some good reviews and some down right awful review's
    got an e-mail today from voda offering me the iphone4 for 149.99,is so tempting but the reception issue with them is putting me off,is it really that bad??? bare in mind i live in meath and a lot of my travelling is cross-country not necessarily near any major city's or town's.

• Advertisement

dr ro wrote: »
    If money isn't an object, you could consider the n8 which is due out soon. !

hammered here :eek:

http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/nokia-n8-review.html

but praised here

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/nokia/nokian8/n8reviews/568394/nokia_n8_review.html

look's like it's your own personnel choice,finding it very hard to get review for a phone that seems to be on a par on different sites.
    ie:one hammers a phone another site praises it.......

the bad preview seems to be mainly based on the os which hasn't been finalised yet, and certainly wasn't when this article was written. Wait and see if you're not in a rush. Couple of weeks

the bad preview seems to be mainly based on the os which hasn't been finalised yet, and certainly wasn't when this article was written. Wait and see if you're not in a rush. Couple of weeks

not in mad rush but you no what it's like if you have a few bob spare and hold onto it,it goes on other stuff.

i'll mind it for you if you like!

i'll mind it for you if you like!

ok,do you promise not to spend any of it :pac:

anyone tell me if the iphone4 reception on voda is as bad as reported?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jambofc wrote: »
    ok,do you promise not to spend any of it :pac:

anyone tell me if the iphone4 reception on voda is as bad as reported?

apple forum would be the best place to ask:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Get yerself a Nokia E63. Have it myself, fantastic phone.
    WiFi, easy texting, great battery life and getting cheaper by the day :)

Doocey wrote: »
    Get yerself a Nokia E63. Have it myself, fantastic phone.
    WiFi, easy texting, great battery life and getting cheaper by the day :)

the nokia E series kind of reminds me of a calculator i had in school many moon's ago,also the 2mega pixel camera isnt great.
    cheers for the input :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jambofc wrote: »
    the nokia E series kind of reminds me of a calculator i had in school many moon's ago,also the 2mega pixel camera isnt great.
    cheers for the input :)

Dont dis it just because it has a 2mb camera. Its actually a fairly decent camera, especially in bright conditions. It lacks for dark or night time shots.

Davy wrote: »
    Dont dis it just because it has a 2mb camera. Its actually a fairly decent camera, especially in bright conditions. It lacks for dark or night time shots.

not dissing it,but im looking for a phone with a decent camera and 2 mega pixel doesn't really cut it.
    as you say yourself not good in low light or night time??

hard decision on which phone to go for,at the min iphone4 seems to be leading for me,149.99 on voda in carphone warehouse and will give me 40euro for my 6500 slide,look's like it's well ahead at the minute......

get a htc phone :)

iphone has a v poor flash. You mentioned you wanted a half decent one.

Bugzy wrote: »
    get a htc phone :)

kinda lost in it all now but like the desire,isnt the desire hd out soon,but heard it's a bit big.

iphone has a v poor flash. You mentioned you wanted a half decent one.

really :eek:
    thats one thing i didnt hear about it.

used to just walk in to voda and come out with a new phone,hard to decide these days on what to spend my hard earned on

well meteor said it should come out in October :) and October is not too far away :) id wait for the HD :)

Advertisement