Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my hours reduced new person hired

Options
  • 27-09-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks... going unreg for this cos there's spies everywhere!!

basically for the best part of the year now most of us in the office have been dropped to a 3 day week (as a money saving exercise), fair enough we all discussed it and would rather have a job on the long term and put up with the short term sacrifice.

Now

this morning I come in and there is a new girl started in the accounts department... and its one of the owners daughters. Now I can see the moral greyness of this situation but is there anything illegal about this practice, seeing as there are 6/7 other employee, who are on 3 day weeks, who are capable of doing the work this girl was hired to do but were never offered a chance.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Maggiesims

There is nothing illegal about this. It is a terrible situation you are in but unfortunately it is an "EMPLOYERS" market at the moment.

When the recession hit, some employers had money problems & staff like in your situation agreed to a 3 day week to keep their jobs with the employers reminding them how lucky they are to have jobs. There is no protection for the employees how have taken pay cuts or cut their week and I think this is going to be a major problem in the years to come.

There are also employers out there who have not been hit by the recession but still use it against giving employees pay increases and bonuses.

Employers should treat staff with respect and stop telling them how lucky they are and think it is disgraceful what has happened in your company but it shows they can do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reply Maggiesims.

Yeah I figured there would be nothing doable about the whole situation. It just stinks is all, when there's people struggling to pay mortgages and they can be overlooked without a thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It is very important in this situation that you put it in writing about every 3 months to your employer that you are available and willing to work full time hours. i can't remember the reason for this but it is what the unions are recommending staff to do.

I think it may come in to effect in the event of redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It is very important in this situation that you put it in writing about every 3 months to your employer that you are available and willing to work full time hours. i can't remember the reason for this but it is what the unions are recommending staff to do.

I think it may come in to effect in the event of redundancy.

Yeah, in very short response to this, if you're made redundant while on short working hours, your redundancy will be based on your full 5-day week wages provided that you can prove you didn't agree to working short hours and regularly requested to work full hours.

Advertisement