Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a road bike?

• 27-09-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am new to road bikes, and have been looking around for a while for the right bike - but haven't found the right one yet. Now I am wondering if buying all components and building own bike a viable option.

For instance, a branded bike with all carbon frame and 105 components would set you back around 1800 euro (please correct me if I am way off the mark here).

On the other hand, I saw a full carbon frameset on eBay for approximately 350 (including shipping and may be import duty). Anyone know how much would it cost for rest of the components? How much is it for a full 105 group-set? I don't have a full list of what else is required, but I would assume, wheels would be the next most expensive thing. Some approximate figures below.

Frameset - 350
    105 Groupset - ???
    Wheels - 200 (???)
    Handlebar - ???
    Pedals - 50 (???)
    Bottom bracket - ???
    all cables - ???
    Saddle - 50 ???
    Saddle post - ???
    Anything else - ???

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bcmf did it in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817865&highlight=guinea

oh yes and as lumen says a full bike from planet-x would prob be cheaper
    sram red €1358
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPR/sl-pro-carbon-sram-red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It is almost always cheaper to buy a complete bike.

Building up from components is better if you have a bunch of them already or have very exacting requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I built one up earlier this year and got 98% of the parts I needed second hand from here (adverts section), Adverts.ie, weightweenies For Sale section and ebay.
    I got one of those Carbon ebay frames ,as did one or two here, and will hopefully being buying another shortly.
    If you are buying shifters new they should come with cables.
    Yes it is viable but be patient if you are buying it bit by bit.Make a 'B' list of parts so If you dont find the bit you want then you can resort to list 'B'
    Pick out the parts you want and then go searching.

If you buy a ebay frame the dimensions are more then likely
    Front Mech Band width; 34.9mm
    Seat tube clamp; 34.9
    Seat post; 31.6
    Headset; 1 1/18 with Campagnolo bearings fully integrated.
    It could be cheaper to buy a gruppo straight out but you will still have to but headset spacer, downtube adjusters, pedals, Bars, stem etc etc

.....and is in the process of doing it again.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks, that's a very useful thread you had there bcmf!

I probably could learn from here/google on doing everything myself, but I was thinking of getting the LBS involved. They might be able to source and build me everything except the frame. I know I need to ask them for a quote really to build around the 350 eBay carbon frame, but even with LBS charging top dollar for all the components and build, it doesn't look like it would cost anything like 1500 or 1800 that branded bikes cost. Am I right in thinking that?

thanks again!

• Advertisement

It kinda depends.... The only time I used LBS was for fitting BB and headset.
    Headset I learned (integrated is fairly easy) . BB well it was cheaper then buying the tool.
    It also depends on what parts you want. There are a lot of guys on here who have a shed full of stuff they dont use and will gladly help you out. I speak from experience.
    A lot of stuff you can assemble yourself. a small investment of decent tools and if you are ever stuck just shout on here.

Thanks again bcmf.

The frameset I was looking at (eBay, 88bikefun) has the fork already in place, which I believe is kinda tricky if you buy separate frame and fork.

Here's the frameset spec:

Size : 56cm
    Material : Carbon (12K)
    Wheel Size : 700C
    Top Tube : 563mm
    Head Tube : 46mm x 160mm
    Chain Stay : 406mm
    BB Width : 68mm
    BB Threads : English Thread
    Derailleur Mount : Band Mount
    Derailleur Mount Clamp : 34.9mm
    Headset Type : Integrated 1 1/8"
    Seatpost Size : 31.6 mm

Fork

Wheel Size : 700 C
    Steerer Size : 1 1/8"
    Hub Spacing : 100mm
    Steerer Length : 300mm
    Fork Rake : 45 mm
    Steerer : Carbon
    Weight : 390g

Looks like seat-post is also in there. All I now need is the complete groupset (something like this), saddle, handlebar and wheels then?

PS: Another reason for using the LBS is to avail the bike to work - it's not confirmed, just a possibility, that they can might be able to put all components/work that I pay them thru bike to work.

PPS: Sorry, there's no seat post in the frameset... I am still learning...!

88bikefun is one the names used by Hong Fu for their e-bay trading. That frame is the one that I got but with the straight forks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you are thinking of going the ebay route and you don't already know about it http://www.goofbay.com have a sniper tool which should be of use if you're looking to buy some of the stuff through auctions. You can have it submit your bids as late as 2 seconds before the auction ends and what I found to be the handiest thing about it is that you don't need to be over your computer when your bid is submitted.

Also, if you're not sure what frame size would be suitable for you this might help. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO It's very detailed and, personally, I've found it to be good. I'm pretty new to this game though.

I think that you already know this but you ought to buy the frame first as some of the components you'll need to then buy will have to be suitable for that frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

positron wrote: »
    PS: Another reason for using the LBS is to avail the bike to work - it's not confirmed, just a possibility, that they can might be able to put all components/work that I pay them thru bike to work.

They won't be able to do that - BTW only covers buying a complete bike from the bike shop.

• Advertisement

Lemag wrote: »
    If you are thinking of going the ebay route and you don't already know about it http://www.goofbay.com have a sniper tool which should be of use if you're looking to buy some of the stuff through auctions. You can have it submit your bids as late as 2 seconds before the auction ends and what I found to be the handiest thing about it is that you don't need to be over your computer when your bid is submitted.
    I was wondering how I was outbid when I submitted my bid with 5 secs left.

bcmf wrote: »
    I was wondering how I was outbid when I submitted my bid with 5 secs left.

It wasn't me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Well starting at £869 you could have one of these..that's with a basic tiagra build.... £130 extra will get you a 105 groupset.... no brainer.... why would you build up a bike with second hard parts when you can get a new one for this price...I know someone who has one and he can't say enough good things about it..

loads of other options on their website...

SERIBBGRANFONDSHIM_1_zoom.jpg

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/specialedition.asp?action=GenerateConstructor&part=SERIBBGRANFONDSHIM&sub=conf_SERC&bike=1

mtbireland wrote: »
    no brainer.... why would you build up a bike with second hard parts when you can get a new one for this price...

Well there is an amount of satisfaction to be had from selecting and buying the parts and putting them together. There's also the knowledge gained from the build.

Btw, OP if you're looking to go for a super light build without paying dura ace/super record prices you could go for MircoShift shifters and FD + RD. You'll see them on ebay. I have them and I'm eager for someone else to join the club. My bike comes in at about 6.6 kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

most bikes you get all in for less than 1500 euro all in from a bike shop or even online usually have fairly ****e wheels. if you spend enough time on ebay and chain reactions you can build a bike for around 40% less than the bike shop cost.

i built up a giant tcr with campag centur and mavic cosmic carbones for around 1200 euro a couple of years ago (i already had handlebars and seat post and a couple of other things like that)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/362869/121947.jpg

the only thing that i would buy from the local bike shop if i was back again is the groupset as there arent great deals on groupsets online and the shop will probably fit the bottom bracket and a few things for you if you buy it off them. otherwide they'll charge you a fortune.

ebay is great for frames and wheels (frame cost me around 350 euro and wheels were less than 500) wheels were brand new, frame was previous years model but still brand new.

chain reaction is great for parts like stems seatposts etc.

so id say definetly if you have time to spare and your in no great rush go for the online build it up yourself thing, but it could take months if you want the best deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

CPL 593H

mtbireland, that's the cheapest I have seen for a carbon bike so far, with/without 105. Thanks for that link. I don't like the really sporty flashy paintwork, and I do have a thing for stealth bikes, but that's just me - Riddle does look good value over all.

FuriousFox, your bike looks brilliant. I have seen it in the 'show your beauty..' thread and that contributed to my current 'itch' to be honest..!

I would love to build the whole thing myself, but for certain technical reasons , I think I will go back to LBS and ask them to quote me a price to build a bike around the eBay frame. Could someone suggest me what components I should ask for? I know it's impossible to be specific on each and every component, but I guess I am looking to find all the components that falls to the same quality/value level with 2011 105 complete groupset (black). I don't want to overspend on a bar or pedal, and at the same time, don't want to end up picking a really poor quality component either.

Thanks again! If I go ahead with this, I will try and post all the details here, just in case if that's of any use to another newbie like me.

why not ask them for a build price ie if you supply the frame and parts. There is plenty on here will guide for parts. Could be cheaper.Also you get to pick out the parts you want. Just outta interest where are you based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Uuuh, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the photo of the Ribble bike...is the water bottle carrier on upside down?

deandean wrote: »
    Uuuh, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the photo of the Ribble bike...is the water bottle carrier on upside down?
    No.Its a carbon bottle cage. Optical illusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

positron,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think your mission is a bit doomed.

You're basically sticking a bunch of decent components on a cheapo frame to save money, but then increasing the build cost by sourcing individual new components and getting an LBS to build it.

There are many, many components of broadly similar "quality" which offer different shape or functions, e.g. groupsets, pedal systems, saddles, handlebars...you'll drive yourself and the LBS nuts trying to make arbitrary decisions without the personal experience to guide them.

If you don't know what components you want, it is likely to end up cheaper and quicker to buy a complete "internet bike" like a Planet-X, Ribble etc or an entry level carbon from the likes of Halfords (Boardman Team Carbon). At least that way you'll have a proper warranty if the frame cracks.

Good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

mtbireland wrote: »
    Well starting at £869 you could have one of these..that's with a basic tiagra build.... £130 extra will get you a 105 groupset
    Definitely bookmarking this. Thanks.

Lumen wrote: »
    .. I think your mission is a bit doomed...
    Good luck anyway!

Thanks Lumen, not taking it the wrong way at all - because I am still looking at the viability of various options really. I was going to go to the LBS with cheap eBay frame and tell them to build me a bike with 105 and all other components as they see fit, within a budget of course. That is, I wouldn't be buying individual components and bringing it to them - I respect their knowledge and trust them (as long as it's within my budget and they are not adding crazy mark ups to the prices).

On the other hand, a Boardman Team (comp or carbon), Riddle like liked above would all be more than sufficient for my purpose really. So I haven't completed ruled them out yet, and yes, I see the 2 yr warranty could be of use considering the roads around here (and considering how much I like my food..! :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

positron wrote: »
    mtbireland, that's the cheapest I have seen for a carbon bike so far, with/without 105. Thanks for that link. I don't like the really sporty flashy paintwork, and I do have a thing for stealth bikes, but that's just me - Riddle does look good value over all.

They have quite a few other models... even one called 'The Stealth'.... remember that they don't come with the bling wheels that you see in the picture so it won't look as bling in the flesh....

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/publish.asp?what=specialedition&page=1rc

SERIBBSTEALTHCAMP_1_zoom.jpg

Advertisement