Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FUGG YOU HOTMAIL....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Sure just have them forwarded to you gmail account, simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I have a hotmail (primary), yahoo and gmail account. I am most comfortable with my hotmail which has:

- "multiple inboxs" (folders with filters)
    - "priority inbox" (my main inbox with my spam setting set to exclusive).
    - "multiple account switching (Filter which places mail forwarded from my yahoo address in a seperate folder)
    - For calls I have Skype with has video
    - who actually uses Labs?

Gmail support is fanboyism. All emails can provide the same basic services and other services are provided in a better form by other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

was just reading this thread and signed into the googlemail account I created a while ago but never used and it said you could change to @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com.
    Is this a new thing? I always thought @gmail.com existed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

milly4ever wrote: »
    was just reading this thread and signed into the googlemail account I created a while ago but never used and it said you could change to @gmail.com instead of @googlemail.com.
    Is this a new thing? I always thought @gmail.com existed?

From Wikipedia:
    United Kingdom

On October 19, 2005 Google voluntarily converted the United Kingdom version of Gmail to Google Mail because of a dispute with the UK company, Independent International Investment Research.[100][101]

Users who registered before the switch to Google Mail were able to keep their Gmail address, although the Gmail logo was replaced with a Google Mail logo. Users who signed up after the name change receive a googlemail.com address, although a reverse of either in the sent email will still deliver it to the same place.

In September 2009 Google began to change the branding of UK accounts back to Gmail following the resolution of the trademark dispute.[102]

On May 3, 2010, Google announced that they would start to phase out the googlemail.com domain in the UK. Existing users will get the option to switch to gmail.com, while new users will be given a gmail.com address by default.[94] This also required Android phone users to perform a factory reset (with ensuing data loss) to restore phone functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You should switch to gmail (everyone should). I know, I resisted switching because I was happy with hotmail and had all my historic correspondence there. I had a gmail account for I'd say a year before I started using it but once you do you'll notice how it's just a much better web e-mail solution.

I have both, can't believe people are arguing about this, they are basically the same ****, what do you expect its just a virtual dumping box where messages and spam congregate, I doubt there's really anything fundamentally different in the building or execution of either of them. I find gmail marginally more annoying but really people are trying to make this into a pc versus mac thing and there's even less separating the two than pc/mac, so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I haven't used my hotmail in about 6 years.

I just signed in there and the inbox is 0. I suppose the account was deactivated after no usage.

This is a test to see how long it takes for the first spam message to enter the box. (pun intended).

Attached is a screenshot of the inbox. Lets see what the first spam is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Gmail all the way. I get my other emails from outlook and hotmail accounts forwarded to my gmail. There is quite a lot of storage and you can send larger files than hotmail. The search function is much better too. Gmail for mobiles is very handy too. The only problem I have with it was last Friday it was hacked and there have been a few starnge things going on with it since such as the camera symbol next to my name which normally should be only a dot. I had to give gmail my number just to get it reactivated.

Do you actually read any of your emails?
    400+ unread mails?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The thing that pisses me off about gmail is that so many other people use it and are constantly logging in with their stupid accounts on my PC. Then I have to LOG IN each time I want to use it. Such a waste of time.

How does this multiple inbox jazz work?

Chrome/Chromium is **** at font rendering. Pity, I might use it otherwise.
    Mrmoe wrote: »
    Gmail all the way. I get my other emails from outlook and hotmail accounts forwarded to my gmail. There is quite a lot of storage and you can send larger files than hotmail. The search function is much better too. Gmail for mobiles is very handy too. The only problem I have with it was last Friday it was hacked and there have been a few starnge things going on with it since such as the camera symbol next to my name which normally should be only a dot. I had to give gmail my number just to get it reactivated.

Looks like gnomes did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's quite simple. Hotmail based on old ideas (example: folders, which in computers was based on the ore-computer time); GMail asked the question "what would an email service be like if email were invented today?" (example: labels, which are vastly superior to folders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Also, since when has hotmail been able to forward to non Microsoft email addresses? I tried a couple years ago and forwarding to hotmail or live addys were the only options...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

ki wrote: »
    Google only cares about advertising, just like the others.

What is cool and new today with Gmail?

undo send!!

My gmail was hacked recently and an email was sent to various people in my contact list. Gmail detected it was suspicious, blocked the emails from ever being delivered, but also let me know next time I logged in, had me change my password and verify it was me via text as well.

Does hotmail do any of this? I think not. Man, I love gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

This happened to my hotmail as well, so I guess that is that account gone. Pity, now Mr Nigerian Prince will never be able to send me my money....

My gmail was hacked recently and an email was sent to various people in my contact list. Gmail detected it was suspicious, blocked the emails from ever being delivered, but also let me know next time I logged in, had me change my password and verify it was me via text as well.

Does hotmail do any of this? I think not. Man, I love gmail.

I wouldn't be too keen on any email service that gets hacked. Do you mean someone just guessed your password or the server was actually breached?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I have both, can't believe people are arguing about this, they are basically the same ****, what do you expect its just a virtual dumping box where messages and spam congregate, I doubt there's really anything fundamentally different in the building or execution of either of them. I find gmail marginally more annoying but really people are trying to make this into a pc versus mac thing and there's even less separating the two than pc/mac, so....

I have both too, I kept the Hotmail account for historic purposes and stuff I had signed up to it with, but for day to day use I find gmail is faster, I far prefer the way it groups conversations so it's really ease to review an ongoing correspondence, I like it's simple chat facility (unlike MSN which feels bloated to me) and it has better search. If you're using e-mail infrequently or something maybe the experience of using them is the same but in my experience there is quite a gulf in usability.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too keen on any email service that gets hacked. Do you mean someone just guessed your password or the server was actually breached?

I don't actually know. Logged on to my gmail and a screen popped up to me saying they had detected strange activity with my email and asked me to change my password and verify my phone number. This was on the actual gmail site itself and not on an email from my inbox. When I had done all of this, I noticed an unread message - it was one of those where the address cannot be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Cianos wrote: »
    Most email clients will do for most people to whom email is just another facet of the internet. But to people for whom email is a big part of their lives, Gmail is streets ahead of everything else.
    Indeed. I still can't believe Hotmail doesn't have IMAP support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

An Post is where it's at.

I don't actually know. Logged on to my gmail and a screen popped up to me saying they had detected strange activity with my email and asked me to change my password and verify my phone number. This was on the actual gmail site itself and not on an email from my inbox. When I had done all of this, I noticed an unread message - it was one of those where the address cannot be found.

Looks like you're not the only one. How would gmail have your phone number though?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

gmail is so much more user friendly than hotmail. Hotmail is also seen as so bad sites won't even let you sign up with ti, seen as spam. Also even when they do a lot of the time the registration emails never reach hotmail.

Gmail has extensions, handy buttons, inbuilt chat and cam chat, fecking plays youtube videos, it's so good

• Advertisement

Looks like you're not the only one. How would gmail have your phone number though?

I had to enter in my phone number, they sent out a verification code to me and I entered this code in.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I have both too, I kept the Hotmail account for historic purposes and stuff I had signed up to it with, but for day to day use I find gmail is faster, I far prefer the way it groups conversations so it's really ease to review an ongoing correspondence, I like it's simple chat facility (unlike MSN which feels bloated to me) and it has better search. If you're using e-mail infrequently or something maybe the experience of using them is the same but in my experience there is quite a gulf in usability.

every day, multiple times. Email is email, fanboyism is fanboyism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm another who uses hotmail for spam and gmail for my actual email, but I don't think hotmail is particularly crap. Yeah I prefer gmail but hotmail is perfectly usable and I wouldn't berate somebody who decides they can't be arsed switching to another email provider.

Also, just because something is made by google does not make it good. Just because something is made by microsoft does not make it bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ki wrote: »
    All I want is is send and receive emails, not check my multiple inboxes, then my priority inbox, then switch my account to check more inboxes, while calling someone in the US.

How can you think there is no difference in any email service...

is an iphone the same as a nokia 3210 to a landline, i mean phones are for calls right?

How can you think there is no difference in any email service...

is an iphone the same as a nokia 3210 to a landline, i mean phones are for calls right?

Thats not a good analogy. I suppose my comment on fanboys went right past you so....

Thats not a good analogy. I suppose my comment on fanboys went right past you so....

Don't care about whatever fanboy stuff that is being spouted, that does not concern me, save it. The fact is different applications have different services and features. These make one better than another, you are saying they do not. Gmail has every feature hotmail has and more, not only that but it does not suffer the disadvantages inherent with hotmail, descrimination of sites against it. Yet both are the same, how? And why dies an analogy such as phones not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I've found gmail a far superior product, it's as simple as that. If you haven't, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

dan185 wrote: »
    I'm Mr June in the 2010 calender

And I've been here longer than 2010;)
    OOOH... admitting to being a re-reg eh? reported :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Sorry guys back to original post....the exact same thing happened to me :confused: Does anyone genuinely have any idea why this happened or how to fix it? I'm a bit of a technological muppet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Just logged into my hotmail account to check emails and I had 8 password reset links in my inbox :confused: I never sent them so I am getting really frustrated now :mad::mad::mad::mad: I think I might just delete it altogether to much f**cking hassle :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭lotie

This has been mentioned before but I got some "no reply" messages from people in my contacts list for a message "I" sent to all my contacts advising them to but a PC from some Chinese website.

Looked at recent activity log on gmail and so the chinese IP address responisble.

I've changed my password but am curious:

..how do they do this? Had they worked out my password?

Advertisement