Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Amazing night in Dublin, so I went up into the park, and just up the avenue, and over the road and down the other side of the avenue home.

I went faster run than I should have tonight, to work off some of the crappy food and booze I have consumed over the last 5 days. If I was religious I would have said 5 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's - but Im not, so a tempo run it is :cool:.

So just a fraction short of 8 miles in just over 1 hour and 5 mins

Average pace of 8.30 min miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

:)
    Ive just come across your log. I am so impressed with how far you have come since page 1. Greatest respect and admiration to you . I am only at page 3 now but look forward to catching up with the rest later.
    Keep it going mate. You are super:D

@ Hot to Trot - thanks a million, as I was someone who had zero self confidence for so long, it really means a lot when people pass on kind words after reading my ramblings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

as I was someone who had zero self confidence

J, you should be pretty impressed with yourself these days!

Evening Fartlek around town - 6 miles in 53 minutes..

Jumping from 9 min miles odd, to somewhere around 7.30 min miles for the bursts of pace

@Mr Slow - I have that wonderful Irish bloke thing, of "ah its nothing, really" to deny everything and talk everything down, where if I was american I would be selling a book with my sensational story and also flogging a range of clothing with my image on it :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Slow - I have that wonderful Irish bloke thing, of "ah its nothing, really" to deny everything and talk everything down, where if I was american I would be selling a book with my sensational story and also flogging a range of clothing with my image on it :pac:

Do a 5 minute course on personal fitness and set yourself up as a guru, you walk the walk now make some money off of it!

Do a 5 minute course on personal fitness and set yourself up as a guru, you walk the walk now make some money off of it!
    I actually do motivational weight loss stuff with the group who helped me loose the weight in the first place, going to their classes over the country and telling my story and answering "how the hell did you do that" type questions :)

BTW - Passed 500 miles for the year with last nights run, go me :cool:

Feel a bit meh today, for no reason at all really - but got out and did a run with marathon talk for company

6 miles exactly, in 54 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Good work Vagga. Getting out on the days you don't feel like it are important.

Several great pieces of news today - so running can feck off for 24 hours :)

• Advertisement

All in all its been one of the best weeks I have had in a good while on 3 or 4 fronts :D, so I was really looking forward to this run this morning, as I have not run on a beach before, never been on dollymount strand before, and, not to be forgotten, its always a great laugh with the lady and gents :cool:

So I got a lift from Chinquenti, and met Digger and Clara Lara over there. [Mr Slow pulled out at last minute, as he was scared of the sand, and is a big girls blouse :pac:]. So we went to Dollymount Strand, and we ran the length of it [I think?] and just said hello to a few seals and turned and came back again.

So we did 6.5 miles on the beach maybe, I did a further 3 and a bit getting to and from Chinquenti, who had very kindly given me a lift.

So 9.7 Miles, in 1 Hour 36 Mins, avg moving pace 9.50

Running on the beach was hard work at times, and all 4 of us could feel it in our legs at the end [even after 6 miles]. But all of us agreed that it was very enjoyable, and would love to do it again soon. So the idea was formed to maybe do one of the boards weekend LSR's every month out that direction [or similar changes of location here and there, now and again]. It breaks up every single thing being done in the Park, and a bit of variety is brillaint to keep things fresh and interesting :cool:

I have two "secondary goal" races in the next two weekends [good planning Joe :rolleyes:] Dunshaughlin 10k next week and Clontarf Half the week after, I'm aiming for good times in both, and have been training as such for a while. So this was always going to be my last hard long training run for both.

So the plan was to do between 10 and 11 miles, with the first half at 8.5* min miles, speeding up a fraction to 8.3* min miles for second half.

Did my place to Phoenix Park, going out on "the other side" by Garda HQ, around the back, and up the Kyber and out home.

Did 11.25 Miles, in 1 hour 38 mins - so 8.45 min miles. I pretty much kept to plan, even keeping 8.3* pace going up Kyper, at mile 7 to 8, which was damn hard, but good satisfaction to have done it!

Total for Week : 41, not quite as much as planned, but very happy with that. Fact remains that I need two rest days a week to rest my weary limbs, and feck training plans, I'm taking them :cool:

[Mr Slow pulled out at last minute, as he was scared of the sand, and is a big girls blouse :pac:].

Them's fighting words Mr. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fact remains that I need two rest days a week to rest my weary limbs, and feck training plans, I'm taking them :cool:

I used to be like that too but i introduced a 6th day very gradually. I recommend you keep taking 2 rest days a week until the DCM and add a very slow 2 mile run in place of one of the rest days after and build it up slowly from there. Before you know it you'll be doing 6 days a week comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

An interesting comment in TFBs log was that if you need to take rest days you're running too fast and ideally we should be trying to get out everyday to reap the maximum benefits. This goes along with what Tergat use to preach. Now that I've learned to run slower it might be time to everyday a crack again.

Just wondering D, you mentioned an injury, were you out for long. Just asking because of the difference between your pb and 2011 times?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Just wondering D, you mentioned an injury, were you out for long. Just asking because of the difference between your pb and 2011 times?

I've always been pretty lucky with avoiding injuries (touch wood :D ), when I started back in 08 I had trouble with my ITB but that was doing too much too soon. My biggest weakness is motivation during winter. I hope to challenge a few of my PBs by the end of the year though.

Woddle wrote: »
    I've always been pretty lucky with avoiding injuries (touch wood :D ), when I started back in 08 I had trouble with my ITB but that was doing too much too soon. My biggest weakness is motivation during winter. I hope to challenge a few of my PBs by the end of the year though.

Aha! I like training in the winter, when the snow was thick on the ground I was passing cars and amused by the 'Look at that mad ba5tard' looks from the drivers :D

Meant to add to the above - 3:29:59? What plan are you gonna follow?

While I have lost losts of weight and thats ace, I'm still 14 odd stone, which is on the big side for a long distance runner, so therefore there is indeed a bit more stress on my hips and knees than the average bear.

So I like Brians advice for now, keep the 2 days off in the run up to Dublin, and maybe introduce a 6th shorter day [Monday?] as I look at goals for the new year.

• Advertisement

Meant to add to the above - 3:29:59? What plan are you gonna follow?

sorry for hi-jacking your log vagga :)
    As of 10 minutes ago, the marathon is off. I'm transforming myself to a half miler. Deadly serious and very excited. I'll put sth up in my log shortly.

I'm not sorry for hijacking your log Vagga!!! Mock me in a run report will you? I'll have Digger and his busload of innuendo in here next! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

So I like Brians advice for now, keep the 2 days off in the run up to Dublin, and maybe introduce a 6th shorter day [Monday?] as I look at goals for the new year.

Are you following a plan for DCM? If so, which one and when does it start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'll have Digger and his busload inmyendo in here next! :P

Unnecessary....Sick puppy!

Are you following a plan for DCM? If so, which one and when does it start?
    Im doing Hall Higdon Intermediate 1 with some changes of my own..
    • Im doing more miles than requested in Intermediate 1 - but may not hit the peaks of intermediate 2 [Plan 2 calls for 5 50 mile weeks off memory]. So went conservative! But my weekly numbers are going to be up and down a bit too [41 miles last week, will struggle to beat 20 this week!]
    • Im doing rest on Monday and not cross training.

I have actually started already [started last week, at 20 weeks to go], as I am away a lot of weekends with weddings and stuff, and also have a 9 day family holiday, where I really dont know how much I can run, as house location in unclear. So I have basically built in the full week of holiday as an off week/rest week - where I will do a small amount to tick over and no more. There is another week where Im away on the [major] p1ss for 4 days, and I have basically written off all but 3 days of that week, so anything I do there is a bonus.

Not ideal and a bit bold - but Im adapting things to me and my life :)

How many 20 milers are in the plan?

How many 20 milers are in the plan?
    2 plus 2 18 milers as far as I remember...

That should be fine for a sub-4, right?

Im doing a lot higher than required miles per week atm, and Im also a sheep in these matters, so I may do 1 or 2 more LSR's on our boards runs anyway, only not feel the need to run around the papal cross car park for 5 mins to hit a distance like some people I wont mention :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

2 plus 2 18 milers as far as I remember...

That should be fine for a sub-4, right?
    I did 2 20's, 2 17's and one run just under 19 miles for Barcelona, and you're faster than me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I did 1 x 20ml 10 weeks out and 1 x 22ml 5 weeks before Barca, almost got away with it too :) Consistency throughout the whole week is more important than the length and frequency of your LSR's imo.

• Advertisement

First - thanks for advice above, I owe you all a pint on Saturday :D

Anyway, You know when people listen to you talking about running epic long distances [like 10k] and look at you like your just plain insane no idea in the world how you do it. they think your stark raving mad..

I got that look a few times tonight, running away happy as larry, singing along to my tunes [I like to sing [very badly] to songs I like, so what :P!] - in the pissing rain :cool: I was feeling a touch sluggish, but at the end of a hard day in work sluggish no other reason tbh, and also it was lashing rain out there and my clothes were a touch wet, but I really enjoyed it none the less.

Did just under 6.5 Miles in just over a hour.

VERY small pain in right hip in second half of run, nothing dramatic at all did not slow me down a single bit. But things have been going so well of late I may return to physio out of caution. I'm sure he has a holiday somewhere expensive he needs to pay for :)

Advertisement