Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

For me after the LSR's I found the consecutive longish runs midweek in the schedule (eg) 8 miles on Tuesday general aerobic with 5 x 600m @ 5k pace followed by a 12 miler on Wednesday really helped me for Cork. Obviously as Brian says consistency throughout the week is key but there are definately key workouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Right hip a bit sore today. One thing which just occurred to me is that I have worn my "old" Asics runners the last 3 of the last 4 times out [dunno why tbh] - they have somewhere around 300 miles in them, and are clearly therefore ready for scrap heap [they were mid priced ones anyway].

Good thing my second pair of Glycerin 8's came from Wiggle the other day.

I dont think I will go to physio just yet, I know the stretches he will tell me to do, and I did them last night and this morning - so I will do that for a few days and see how I get on.

As a result I may well go swimming later, instead of a run. Get some stuff done, but no impact on hip and let it rest.

Im off work today and tomorrow to go down to Cork to see Imelda May and some related fun and games :cool:

Got a tempo type run in this morning, also breaking in my new Glycerin 8's

5.5 Miles in 47 Minutes..

Miles 2 and 3 were at the pace I want to do Clontarf in [just below 8 min miles], and Mile 4 was in my hoped for Dunshaughlin pace [7.30 min miles]

This evening start time is annoying, Im awake now and want to get the run out of the way and get on with my day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

This evening start time is annoying, Im awake now and want to get the run out of the way and get on with my day :)

Why not go for a run anyway?
    It might tire freshen you up for tonights smackdown :D

• Advertisement

Ah I have two family events this morning [one down, home to sort some stuff out and get lunch, and then one to go].

Its rather controversial that Im leaving family event two to go and do a race - Im not popular in some circles :o, but they get 2 1/2 hours of me, and you have to be selfish sometimes!

But life would have been easier with the race at 10am as they usually are, and I would have fit the other stuff in, with no drama :)

The big 10k today in Dunshaughlin, did it in 45.40, thrilled with that, left nothing out on course.

Excellent race :)

Full report will be written over breakfast in morning :)

A excellent evening yesterday for a race yesterday, out in Dunshaughlin 10k

Got collected by Chinquetti [Non-Running] and BrianD in town, and we ventured out to Meath, and the race area. The race number collection was done in a local GAA club, and was excellently organised.

Met up with a whole load of boards folks in the GAA club, and everyone was in good form. I was thinking I was in form to run somewhere around 46 or 47 minutes, so was not nervous, more focused on the job at hand, so was not all that chatty pre-race [as always, I got in my rugby, "want to headbut the wall" kind of frame of mind :eek:].

Got to the start line, and there was some messing with folks surging forward and ignoring the start line. But eventually we set off. I was following RQ for a brief period, but she had a different race plan and was not going all out, so I quickly saw Mrs Slow, RayCun and Woodle ahead, and went to follow them, staying 20 meters back.

Now I was going too fast at this point, I did a first mile of 6.54 [my fastest mile]. But I was thinking I would hang onto the coat tails of the lads. At this point the right hip issue of last week started hurting a bit :mad:, which was more of an annoyance than a serious problem.

The second mile went by in 7.05, an element of the fast start, and everyone stetting down to race pace. [We briefly saw the race video in the pub later, and around this point, and you can see the 3 boys go by, and I'm right behind them].

At somewhere between 2 and 3 miles, woodle slowed down at a water station, and I passed him. I always assumed he was right behind me [I could see a bloke in a similar colored top right behind me, but it was not him as it turned out].

My next few miles hurt, in terms of my hip giving me ****, it being a hot evening and just my intention not to leave anything out on the course, and give it everything. So the next few miles went by in 7.20, 7.25 and around the small couple of hills at back of course, a 7.40. These miles were closer to what the race pace I wanted to do were [as I was thinking 7.30 min miles in advance], so I was pretty happy with the pace at the time.

Note : Worst job in Ireland right now must be the security guard, on the country road in the middle of nowhere we passed. He guarding the metal plates [and exposed pipes underneath I guess] - The poor man must have huge periods when he sees nothing or no one.

This is the first race in ages, maybe ever, where the central guvnor had to be engaged, as I was in pain from effort and hip and I was starting to think, "is this really worth it!" - but I have gotten quite good at positive messages to myself, so the man suit was well and truly zipped up :cool:

At the top of the wee hill, I saw there was only a mile to go, so I'm thinking to myself "that's my house to the bridge, no bother at all, done it a million times" - so I put the peddle down and really pushed it, giving it everything. Where in reality, I did the last mile in 7.30 - so where I was giving it every single thing I had, I only sped up a small bit, so I would have gone backwards to be honest without the extra effort.

I almost collapsed and got sick at the end, not a single thing was left out there. I must say never was a shower so good, as it was at the end back in the GAA club.

I could see RayCun ahead of me for most of the race, but he was a minute or so better than me at the end. Woodle was 30 seconds odd behind me, and RQ was right behind him.

I did it in 45.40, which was brilliant, I was thrilled. We had a great night, having a couple of pints in Dunshaughlin with the boards gang who were able to hang about, and then a final few pints in Ryans in town [of course!].

The morning after, the right hip is still sore. I will book into physio early in week. As of right now, my participation in Clontarf next Saturday must be in serious doubt, as Im not going to push it and risk a bad injury right at the start of my marathon training plan. I'm also not going to do it if I wont able to do myself justice, and do something around 1.45 kinda time. Clontarf was always a random target anyway. [It would be good to round off this session of races with a "final" good PB - and focus on the marathon and nothing but, for next few months]

Im going shopping with American Sis In law now, and later bringing herself and my brother to Croker for their first time, to see the Super Dubs, and then drinking in some of the north inner city's finest establishments afterwards [not too much, thankfully, as they will have to pick up their kids!]. But its the kind of education in Dublin that tourists don't normally get :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great report, and well done on a brilliant run. Up the Dubs!:)

Well done Vaggababe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Vagga, excellent running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great report there Vagga...and I was thinking the same thing about the security guard as I passed!

You could change your plans for Clontarf next Saturday to the 5 miler instead?

Was on my feet all day yesterday, shopping, at match [on Hill] and then standing in pub for ages..

So legs are sore today, standing yesterday or a case of DOMS - coin toss :p
    You could change your plans for Clontarf next Saturday to the 5 miler instead?
    Away at a wedding for that, so I miss it :(

There's a 5 miler as part of the Clontarf race on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well done on your great time. Like yourself I picked up a injury on sat morning, well it was there for awhile but came at me big time now.

I wont say up the dubs, but i wll say come on the yellow Bellies. We will have a few surprises for ye in a few weeks!!!

There's a 5 miler as part of the Clontarf race on Sunday!
    Oops, forgot that. But I think I'm able to run or I'm not, so if I am I will do the half. If not I guess I will go watch the Dubs beat Killkenny :cool:

Got myself an appointment with Peter Matthews, so we will see if he can work his magic :)

Morning recovery run of 4.5 miles in 42 mins - legs still a fraction heavy from DOMs.

Meno and Brian were at me at the weekend, that my [and most folks on Boards] do these recovery runs far too fast, so I was conscious of keeping things close to 9.45/10 min miles as possible.

Hip a dull ache more than a pain, spent last night in front of the TV [watching game of thrones finale - holy fcuk! :eek:] doing all manner of hip, core and lower back exercises. We will see...

Not running Clontarf..

After the short slow run yesterday morning hip was at me all day yesterday.

Its a bit better today, but still a dull ache there. But I would be insane to maybe risk a serious injury at the start of marathon training program for a race I don't care all that much about, that Im doing "for the sake of it".

There was talk on Saturday of the Midlands Half on August 1st, I will save my 1.45 attempt for then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Good decision, I know what its like to push through an injury for the sake of a race at the beginning of a marathon training plan and then have to give up on the marathon. You are better off getting your hip sorted.

The OH and I are doing the midland half too so might see you and some other boardsies there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sensible choice - bit headwrecking, but at times it has to be done. You know you're in good shape anyway, so get the hip sorted and you'll be grand. :)

• Advertisement

You're choosing wisely grasshopper, you must be sober today :P

Was awake at 6.20 odd this morning, first thought was to go out and do a run...

But physio said to rest it until the weekend so I will be a good boy and do that. I will go out for a short/medium run on Saturday or Sunday.

What a week its been, could have done with running to take out some frustration, but have been playing COD instead, same thing :eek:

I cant go into how absolutely mental my week has been work wise, but its a TERRIBLE week not to be able to run, and lets leave it at than :eek:

My hip issue is not a gigantic deal as it turns out, its an "angry" muscle going from my lower back, over my hip - and just irritated at my hip joint. So I rested it all week, and have stretches to do in the name of strengthening it.

This morning I had to get out, injury or not, but did not have time to do the long run in the phoenix park, so did a run down the canal [my "default" route].

Just over 6 miles in 55 odd minutes..

Felt good, the odd small hip pain the longer we went, but I know how to treat it now, so we will see today how I feel over the day after I look after it.

If I don't feel too bad today, I may go over to Clontarf after all tomorrow - but run with the lady and gents doing 2 hour pace and not "race" [Idea stolen from clara lara!]. Just an idea, but we will see today, not going to risk anything for no reason - but fingers crossed...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Everyone wants to run with the 2 hrs pacers in Clontarf cause they're so cool:cool:

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    Everyone wants to run with the 2 hrs pacers in Clontarf cause they're so cool:cool:

That is all.

I heard it's because there's some trouble planned for that group ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

digger2d2 wrote: »

If you're not good, i'll get the seals on the beach to sort you out:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

digger2d2 wrote: »

Heh Digger, you can't run with that group. The midlands half organiser told me you need a sub 1'45 half to pace 2 hours there. I heard this morning to my horror that your PB is 1'48, so tomorrow is your last chance to put that right I reckon. I have to get back to him next week with the pacers and their PB's....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Heh Digger, you can't run with that group. The midlands half organiser told me you need a sub 1'45 half to pace 2 hours there. I heard this morning to my horror that your PB is 1'48, so tomorrow is your last chance to put that right I reckon. I have to get back to him next week with the pacers and their PB's....

1:45:18, the Midlands lads can ask one of my dangly ones if they think I can't do a 1:59 in my sleep.....;)

Starting at the end, RQ made a good point to Digger after the race. That when you start running the Half Marathon was a huge distance, "no way I could do that". But after you have done one, and trained well for longer distances, its a "ahh, I think I will do a half, for a bit of training" - that's where I am now, and its great :cool:. Going to Connemara a short few months ago, I was sure I would be unable to do the half in under 2 hours [course, I did], and wondered if I could do it at all. Today I knew full well that I could "take it easy" with the 2 hour pacers - at conversational pace - and push on if I wanted. Thats brilliant progress in 4 or 5 months. As a wize man once said, "if he can do it, anyone can" - but the core point here is that I rule :cool:

Annnnnyway...

I went out to run the Contarf Half today as a training run, not racing. The hip issue prevented me from racing it. But yesterday I decided to take part anyway, but take it quite easy.

My plan was to hang out with the degenerates doing the two hour pacing for a while, and somewhere at or before half way I would either slow down or push on and do a few fast miles. [or indeed, plain stop, if the hip was at me].

So I ran the first while with Emer911, right behind the 2 hour pacers. At around 3 miles in we hit the beach for the mile stretch. I was glad I had done the run the a few weeks ago, as I knew what to expect, and to hit the firm sand, others clearly struggled there. At the first water station [4 miles in] I pushed on a small bit, to catch the pacers for a while.

I ran with Conor and Matt and their happy little club for a while, but I was feeling good and not a word from my hip, so I pushed on and worked into my "good" plan and did four 8 min miles [which basically brought me out to the turn and back to the beach].

After we went back, and hit the beach again [9.5 miles in odd] the hip was a tiny bit sore for the first time. At this point I was behind couple of folks running around 8.30 min miles, and I was happy at that, and stuck near that pace for the rest of the race.

It really was quite hot out there, and the period on the beach for the second time was pretty hard on the legs [and my extension my hip]. But we were still passing people, so I think a lot of people struggled there.

Overall time, 1.54.22 - which is a PB by a couple of minutes [in only my second proper half]. But I am well able to race the half a good bit faster, with around 8 min miles the whole way, so 1.45, but no point in killing myself here for no reason other than vanity.

1 00:09:35 1.00 09:35
    2 00:09:21 1.00 09:21
    3 00:09:14 1.00 09:14
    4 00:09:11 1.00 09:11
    5 00:08:38 1.00 08:38
    6 00:08:00 1.00 08:00
    7 00:08:08 1.00 08:08
    8 00:08:09 1.00 08:09
    9 00:08:31 1.00 08:31
    10 00:08:39 1.00 08:39
    11 00:08:47 1.00 08:47
    12 00:08:21 1.00 08:21
    13 00:08:43 1.00 08:43
    14 00:00:57 0.12 07:52

Race organisation and the whole event was "ok" and no more, I totally understand why many people only run club organised races.

• Advertisement

Plan For This Week :
    I have 4 day weekend @ boozy wedding next weekend, where I will have next to zero chance to run. So Im going to try and push it a bit this week:

Tomorrow : Recovery Run, 4/5 miles - close to 10 min miles
    Wednesday : Tempo - circa 6/7 Miles
    Thursday : 6/7 Miles @ 9/9.30 Min Miles
    Friday : Rest
    Saturday : Boards LSR? 10/12 miles?
    Sunday : Circa 8, route thru park, and out and back down Liffey maybe?

As we are here. Here were my goals a couple of months ago...
    Dunore 5k [2 Weeks] - Sub 22 [so 7 min miles and then puke!]
    Dunshaughlin 10k [6 weeks away] - Sub 46 [Circa 7.20 pace]
    Clontarf Half [7 weeks away] - Sub 1.50 [Circa 8.20 Pace]

The first 2 done, getting under the goals.
    Dunore 5k - 21.44 :cool:
    Dunshaughlin 10k - 45.40 :cool:

I made a conscious choice not to go for the half time yesterday, as everyone reading this knows, as its detailed a few inches above this on the same post. But still came in with a PB of 1.54.22, so very happy indeed with the last few weeks running :D:D:D.

This phase of training is therefore over, and its all about Dublin now.

The races Im in from now on are [and Im doing this as much for me as anyone else]:
    Thurs July 21st : James Hospital 6.5k - all on in and around where I live, and a great cause AND Im off for 10 days on holiday the next day, so plan to work it into a very long run!
    August 1st : DLR 10k, but could very easily be convinced to do the Midlands half if a rake of people are going down pacing etc
    August 20th : Frank Duffy 10 Miler
    September 17th : Dublin Half
    October 31st : The Big Dog

Advertisement