Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thurs July 21st : James Hospital 6.5k - all on in and around where I live, and a great cause AND Im off for 10 days on holiday the next day, so plan to work it into a very long run!

...and miss the possible post race beers? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Forget the log title, whats your real goal for the DCM, 3:45?

Don't give me this "i cant run for 4 days" crap. If your committed enough there's always the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Thurs July 21st : James Hospital 6.5k - all on in and around where I live, and a great cause AND Im off for 10 days on holiday the next day, so plan to work it into a very long run!

Vagga - What's this run like? A few slight inclines but nothing much?
    Did you do it last year?
    I have a 10k in Mayo the following Sat evening so I might give this a go at 3/4 pace and as part of a longer run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

belcarra wrote: »
    Vagga - What's this run like? A few slight inclines but nothing much?
    Did you do it last year?
    I have a 10k in Mayo the following Sat evening so I might give this a go at 3/4 pace and as part of a longer run.

Did it last year belcarra and the bit along Thomas St is the toughest bit as its a long straight and there's a little rise near the finish but can't remember any real hill. Running pass the Guinness brewery is worse than any hill.

Well organised last year and quite enjoyed it and would put many races to shame for what is put on before and after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Easy 4.5 miles odd, in just under 45 mins

Jesus running slow is far harder than running fast! You are feeling good, a good song pops on the ipod, and boom, your doing 8.30 min miles before you know it - you have to slow way down and always be thinking about your pace :eek:

@Brianderunner - TBH ask me today and I say I will try for 3.45, as me later on and I will say I will do 4 pace. I think I will change my mind on that a million times before October, and actually decide as Im standing there, having to pick a paddock :P

With regard to next weekend, I will be polite, and say I hope to be "socially engaged" in the mornings, and unable to run for that reason, rather than anything else :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jesus running slow is far harder than running fast! You are feeling good, a good song pops on the ipod, and boom, your doing 8.30 min miles before you know it - you have to slow way down and always be thinking about your pace :eek:

Listening to podcasts/the radio helps for that. I have found myself speeding up when listening to the guys on Marathon Talk talk about intervals/race pace etc, but usually it's fine.

6 miles in 55 minutes - so not far over 9 min miles

A good new route around town, down the liffey, as far as you can go, and back home via the canal - could be converted into a very nice 10 mile odd run very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You running the 5 mile? If so what's the goal?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You running the 5 mile? If so what's the goal?
    Nope, at a wedding in the UK I'm afraid.

For the record, if I was to run it, I would want to beat my Sportsworld time, so very early 36 minutes :)

But Im not, so I wont :P

Morning run - 5.3 miles in 47 minutes

Very very hard to get out of bed and very sluggish at start, but picked it up more we went on, did a few 8.2* miles at end.

On a related running hilight, it was the cloest I have ever been to meeting the ginger bread man, not another step could I have taken! So lesson learned, go to jacks before morning run :pac:

• Advertisement

Saturday LSR - 14.3 miles in 2 Hours and 13, so around 9.20 pace

Slow first few miles to get to Park, met a flock of boardies who had been mad enuf to start at 9am! Went off with Mr Slow, Meno, Pistol and jcsmum. Average Runner went off and did his own thing, as he wanted to go faster pace than we were doing [I understand].

After a few miles of low brow banter Mr Slow and Meno finally agreed on a plan, and went off and did their own thing, and the rest of us basically did a total circuit of the park.

Another few slow miles home and here I am :)

Hows the hip, Vagga? Sounds like its fine if you're not mentioning it.

After a few miles of low brow banter

What happens on a run.....

chinguetti wrote: »
    Hows the hip, Vagga? Sounds like its fine if you're not mentioning it.
    It's good (touches wood) - again the big secret is finding yourself a good Physio and actually doing what they tell you for more than a few nights!!!

I could single leg squat for Ireland at this stage :)

Out shopping right after run and not a peep from it - yay :D

How your operation go? All good?

Good to hear that its behaving itself. A good physio is indeed a God send.

Well i've a big bandage on my heel but all ok and little pain involved (pain is my friend:D). Had small procedure yesterday evening and could have run on it last night. Going to give it a 5 mile run tomorrow and see how it is afterwards.

I'm allowed run as much as i like but no swimming as i have to keep it bandaged for a month. So all in all, a good day's work i think.

Strange old morning..

Too much wine last night, for second night in a row.

Was half way thru my Porridge this morning [and on days I'm running I use a large portion of porridge with protein powder added], and got a call from bro and sister in law, who are in town for a few days from the states, and they wanted to go out for breakfast. So off we went to Bewleys, so I basically had 2 breakfasts! A very healthy start to the day :)

When I got back I turned around and off I went for a run. A bit sluggish at the start, given the gigantic amount I had eaten this morning.

I did two slow miles up to the park, 3 1/2 miles around the park at my hoped for half marathon pace [8 min miles], including going up kyber at that pace, and then 2 1/2 slow miles home

7.1 miles in just over an hour

Total for Week : 37 miles, over 5 runs

Nice running Mister, tis nice and hot out there!

Nice running Mister, tis nice and hot out there!
    I also totally understand why those sessions really need other like minded people [as per yourself and meno's logs from yesterdays sessions, as after going up the kyber at 7.50 mile pace, I was utterly wrecked [and that was the point :pac:]. But it would have been easier if I had someone to follow and/or run with on a hard session like that, where it took a lot to keep going [and at that I slowed down a bit].

Running with other folks for teh win! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Saturday LSR - 14.3 miles in 2 Hours and 13, so around 9.20 pace

Slow first few miles to get to Park, met a flock of boardies who had been mad enuf to start at 9am! Went off with Mr Slow, Meno, Pistol and jcsmum. Average Runner went off and did his own thing, as he wanted to go faster pace than we were doing [I understand].

After a few miles of low brow banter Mr Slow and Meno finally agreed on a plan, and went off and did their own thing, and the rest of us basically did a total circuit of the park.

Another few slow miles home and here I am :)

I never even said goodbye to you on Sat. I didn't realise you were heading off when you did.
    Hope you got your toy mission accomplished on Saturday. :)

I never even said goodbye to you on Sat. I didn't realise you were heading off when you did.
    Hope you got your toy mission accomplished on Saturday.
    I did not feel like hanging around the car park like a lemon, so changed my mind on the go and just changed direction and ran home tbh - should have gone over and said goodbye myself

Shopping completed, and presents handed over yesterday!

• Advertisement

Plan for Week [short running week]:

Today : Stiff from weekend, will go for quick swim after work
    Tuesday : Recovery run before work - slow 5 miles odd
    Wednesday : Will do 10 miles odd LSR after work - may run home from work, been toying with that idea for ages
    Thursday : 6 miles before work
    Friday : Off to UK for a wedding at 6am flight, and a 4 day weekend, down to Cornwall

I get back Monday night, here for 3 days, and then Im off on my Summer holidays for 10 days, so while I should get "something" done when Im away - my consistancy will be intrupted a tad for next few weeks :)

Last Night : Was going to swim, but was exausted from work, and still a bit stiff from weekend so had dinner and pretty much went right to bed, 9 hours sleep later Im like new :cool:

This morning was a recovery run, but since I have a short running week I did it a small bit faster and a small bit longer than I should have. [still not TOO bad!]

5.6 Miles in just over 50 mins - so 9 minute miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You're getting very good for the ole am runs... Are you doing them on your way home from the boozer?! ;)

I have turned into an early riser [where once I could sleep until midday]. So I either lie in bed and listen to the radio or get up and do a run :)

Even on the weekend Im awake some point between 6.30 and 7am - and may get back to sleep, but with it bright outside and stuff its hard, so I generally just get up and start the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I much prefer getting the sessions done and out of the way early in the morning. It gives me an insufferably smug air for the rest of the day - and has me knackered and in bed by 9:30 :rolleyes: Enjoy your 4 day weekend!

Due to my weekend away I did my LSR tonight, after work for the first time. So I ran home from work.

The route I took [after wise advice from Jcsmum on Saturday] was to from work in Cherrywood, go out to dun laoghaire, down through Blackrock and home into town.

I did a fair amount of it at planned Marathon pace on purpose, so it was quite hard going at the end of a long day in work and it was hot out there and I had no food or liquid [well planned Joe!].

It was also a bit boring, how do people do LSR's on their own all the time! Im lucky I had two Marathon talk episodes kept for it, even with them not exactly being classics.

11.1 miles in 1 Hour 40 Mins - so just over 9 min miles

Entered Athlone 3/4 Marathon - as a training race in run up to Dublin. [The last long run I guess, given where its placed, 3 weeks out?]

€29 with the discount code, why not. Im sure by that stage I will be pissed off with Phoenix Park and the roads around town, so I'm guessing I will want a change of scenery for a LSR :D

The feedback from last year was good, but I'll be looking for a 10k around that time instead

RayCun wrote: »
    The feedback from last year was good, but I'll be looking for a 10k around that time instead

That session stings, if the LSR the next day is fine, you haven't run fast enough in the 10k!

• Advertisement

That session stings, if the LSR the next day is fine, you haven't run fast enough in the 10k!

How long is the next day's LSR, do you remember?

Advertisement