Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    How long is the next day's LSR, do you remember?

On the 12 week schedule it's 16 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Sitting on the bed - that annoying time when too early to get changed into suit etc :)

I guess everyone will have long completed the 5 mile now - on way to ryans!!!

I was up early - 40 mins on cross trainer, a few weights and a quick swim this morning - to work off some of the food and booze from last night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Some have left Ryan's, Vagga but soem are still there drinking away. Hope the wedding went well

Home from a strong contender for the best wedding I have ever attended, for many reasons. I will keep those reasons to myself, and save them for a time when we have nothing to talk about on a long run :)

Suffice to say I drank more wine and champagne this weekend than I have in the previous year or so I think :eek: :cool: :D

So got in this evening, put and wash on [as Im off again on Friday to Barcelona for my actual summer holiday :D :cool:] and out the door. Did 5 miles around town at a decent clip as I just wanted to work off some of the food and booze and also the stiffness from a lot of travelling.

5.3 miles in 47 minutes - so around 9 min miles

Feels great to get back out there, really feel like I could have gone really really fast today as I am feeling great mentally and physically :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Someone's in LOVEEEEEEE:p OOOOOOOHHHH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Home from a strong contender for the best wedding I have ever attended, for many reasons. I will keep those reasons to myself, and save them for a time when we have nothing to talk about on a long run :)
    I just wanted to work off the stiffness

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'ld nearly sign up to run the Liberties on Thursday evening to hear the stories but i feel it wouldn't be the same without a large group of people to hear them.

Run with the 2 hour pacers in Portlaoise, my boy.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'ld nearly sign up to run the Liberties on Thursday evening to hear the stories but i feel it wouldn't be the same without a large group of people to hear them.

By the sounds of it, the general audience at the Liberties race would appreciate the details of his weekend anyway. :eek:

What time are you aiming for on Thursday vagga?

All your minds are really in the gutter, but I wont be too high and mighty as I would normally be right there beside you if this was about something/somone else!

Alas Im not in love, that is with anyone bar myself and the master brewer at James Gate :cool:

@RQ - I would want to run liberties run as a very hard tempo run [since Im off on holiday next day], so warm up for a few miles down to the start from my place, run the race somewhere between 5k and 10k pace [early in the 7min miles category maybe?], and I will do a longish run home - as I will need to pack to leave the next morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I would want to run liberties run as a very hard tempo run ... run the race somewhere between 5k and 10k pace

Since the race distance is between 5 and 10k, you could just race the thing :pac:
    Does anyone just race anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not sure to do the Athlone race or a 10k race instead that weekend. I feel a good speed race will warm up the legs but the Athlone race could be a confident booster or buster!!

Edit: re-read what Ray said, we were saying the same thing... :rolleyes:

Surely 6.5k pace is somewhere between 5 and 10k pace anyway? :p

Yeah, that's my point. Instead of saying, "oh, this is a tempo run", or "well, I've entered this half-marathon but I'm planning to fartlek my way around", or "I've got a 14 mile LSR planned for that day, so I'm going to do 13 miles on my own and then finish with a mile race" just, you know, enter a race, go to the start line, run as fast as you can, and then stop when you reach the finish?

I've only been running two years and already I'm hopelessly out of date :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Since the race distance is between 5 and 10k, you could just race the thing :pac:
    Does anyone just race anymore?

Flat out road racing is bad for your joints and you should not race more than once a month or your asking for trouble. But if you enjoy the buzz of races you can do more of them as training runs, nothing wrong with it. Tempo and MP runs are a hell of a lot easier to do in a race.

Yeah, that's my point. Instead of saying, "oh, this is a tempo run", or "well, I've entered this half-marathon but I'm planning to fartlek my way around", or "I've got a 14 mile LSR planned for that day, so I'm going to do 13 miles on my own and then finish with a mile race" just, you know, enter a race, go to the start line, run as fast as you can, and then stop when you reach the finish?

I've only been running two years and already I'm hopelessly out of date :confused:

You don't risk blowing up if you tell everyone it's a tempo. ;)

@ Everyone - This race is around the roads where I live and in a great cause, so I entered it. But "only" running 6.5k does not fit in with my training plan on a week where I venture off on Friday morning for a week on holidays - so I want to get all my weeks miles done by the end of that run - so its just going to be one part of a longer training run - so going all out at full on 5k pace, to collapse at the end, is not want I want :)

so going all out at full on 5k pace, to collapse at the end, is not want I want :)

If I send you some pictures of some of the finish line helpers you might change your mind! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If I send you some pictures of some of the finish line helpers you might change your mind! :pac:

Nurses?
    In uniform??

Where do i sign up?

belcarra wrote: »
    Nurses?
    In uniform??

Where do i sign up?

article-1164233-040EDCD8000005DC-262_468x370.jpg

I can't stop laughing at who I'm thinking of since I saw this pic! :pac:

Ouuuuuuuuuuuuuu Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think I saw her in Wave one on Sunday...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

belcarra wrote: »

I think I saw her in Wave one on Sunday...?

Up front with a bag of Monster Munch!

So this is another short running week for me, since Im flying off for a week at crack of dawn Friday.

[I am, of course, bringing running gear on holidays, since Im a running nerd, but from sounds of folks already over there where the house is, is not running friendly [in mountains outside Barcelona, narrow twisting roads] - but we will see].

So my plan for the week was two hard sessions - tonight and thursday, [much harder than normal midweek runs, since I was not running at the weekend, and I have no idea how much I will be running next weekend]. I would also do 2 easier sessions [last night and tomorrow].

The goal of total mileage at or around 25 miles for the 4 days.

The day after I get home [bank holiday Monday] Im doing the midlands half, with the intention for a good stab at breaking 1.45 - so that has been very much on my mind training these last few weeks [all that same training is very much good for Dublin, so its not like Im doing 100m sprints or anything].

I have not done a good hard interval session in a while, so in the name of pushing myself hard this evening and mixing things up to keep them interesting I ventured up to the park, and did the figure of 8 part of the 10 mile course...

Goal Session : 3 by 2 mile intervals with 3 min rest in between @ faster than my desired half pace [which is 8 min miles].

2 00:15:35 2.00 07:47
    3 00:03:00 0.31 09:37
    4 00:15:20 2.00 07:40
    5 00:03:00 0.32 09:25
    6 00:16:00 2.00 07:58
    7 00:03:00 0.30 09:59

A good hard session to get going on, after a crazy busy day at work, did not get started until later than I would have liked. But with the long warm up I got going eventually - but it was tough, again I would think it would be easier with someone else [or a group]. As always with these sessions, very rewarding to get it done at the pace you wanted :cool:

Total : Just under 10 miles in just over 1 Hour 23 Mins [so 8.26 min miles, in total]

See the boards deal today is a discounted 60 min sports massage for a place very near town..

Got me 2 of them - even if they are not amazing, for €30, not bad to have in the back pocket if you cant get into Functional Training [or Physical Remedy, of course!] :)

Slow recovery run, went bit further than planned.

5 miles on the nose in 48 mins, so just over 9.30 min miles.

Supposed to be doing liberties 6.5k tomorrow - but its not impossible I could get delayed in work, as Im off at end of tomorrow for over a week - so may have loads of stuff to get done - but fingers crossed!

Thats 20 miles so far this week - good stuff

I can't believe you're cheating on Pete. Also, I love your edit it didn't say that when I read it earlier. :pac:

Also, you have to get out of work tomorrow - one of my plans is to use you as my pacer. One of them, there is more than one. Must work out a real plan.

So if this race was anywhere else on the planet earth I would have blown it off today. Mad day in work, the last day before I go off on holidays, so a million things to get done. My legs are quite heavy today, from a long weekend on the serious piss and then travelling - then 3 decent days running after work..

But it passes very close to my gaff, and the start is just over a mile from me - so I said feck it, and I made an effort. My plan was to use this as a tempo run, so I was thinking somewhere 7.30-7.45 range would be fine thanks! [6.5k is 4 miles and pocket change]

The race starts and finishes at the Royal Hospital Killmainham, I got down there with about 10 mins to spare before number collection closed. I met RQ there, and we did a brief warm up together. We both skipped the organised, formal warmup, since 80% of it focused on the upper body and we deemed it to be a total waste of time :cool:

Moved to the starting line and a rake of walkers were right up the front [WHY do they always do that?]. So RQ went right to the first row I think, where I was a small bit back.

As always my first mile was too fast as we ran up by Guinness, and it went by at 7 mins on the button [after I had slowed down on purpose in second part of mile]

Going around by Patricks Cathedral [by my gaff] and up Christchurch is a bit of a small hill, so I slowed to 7.18 mile, which I was happy with tbh

Going down Thomas St I see RQ ahead of me for the first time, maybe 30 seconds ahead or so, but I have very little in the tank indeed and my legs feel pretty heavy indeed so really have no more pace than Im giving.

I passed 3 miles around James Hospital, RQ about 15 seconds ahead and no more. But again Im slowing if anything [and 3rd mile of 7.31 shows that!]

Alas RQ got a second wind around there somewhere and pulled away from me :mad: The end was in sight, and I put a bit of a push onto the end, back into the Royal Hospital..

Chip time at the end was 28.18 - very happy with that! How many of you have a better 6.5k PB, eh? :pac:

I ran home, as my taxi is coming at 4.45 :eek:, and I have not started packing yet :eek: Total run tonight 7 miles in fraction over an hour.

That makes my week 27 miles, which Im very happy with indeed [but god do I need a few days off, so I think sitting by a pool in the sun will do very nicely thanks!]. :cool:

But what about the finish line?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Nice running there vagga. Have a great holiday.

Advertisement