Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Vagga!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done & enjoy the hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great running! I was standing by the gate back into Kilmainham coming to the finish and you were looking strong, pity you didn't catch RQ!

xebec wrote: »
    you didn't catch RQ!

That sounds like a nasty dose! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xebec wrote: »
    pity you didn't catch RQ!

Gee thanks. :rolleyes:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    That sounds like a nasty dose! :D

Someones on a serious bully The Racoon kick today. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

On holidays, not run yet - tourist stuff and drinking...

Wanted to post note that I'm going to be kicking out my housemate when I get home (whole load of complaints from neibours since I left - series of wild parties).

So anyone want a room in large apartment in town pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

On holidays, not run yet - tourist stuff and drinking...

Wanted to post note that I'm going to be kicking out my housemate when I get home (whole load of complaints from neibours since I left - series of wild parties).

So anyone want a room in large apartment in town pm me :)

Only if we can have big parties.:D

Ring the local Garda and ask them to call round. That might keep him some bit quiet until you get home.

Enjoy the hols Vagga

That's good advice chinquetti - thanks :)

Did around 5 miles this morning, in 47 odd minutes (did not bring garmin, so rough guesstimate)

Along seafront, featuring all manner of beaches, including a nudist beach and many cool boats in different places - does not get much better for someone with a short attention span like me ;)

5 miles in 48 / 49 odd minutes

5 laps of boring 1 mile (ish) circuit around area where my house is over here...

6 miles in just shy of 60 mins (no garmin here - so these numbers are educated guesses!)

Last day in barca - so at beach with whole gang, so did same beach route I did earlier in week.

That makes 15/16 miles for the 8 days of holiday - which is not too bad at all

Midlands half on Monday - being away and not doing much more than eat or drink for week and half is not ideal preperation - but plan to go with 1.45 pacers and try and hang on long as I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Midlands half on Monday - being away and not doing much more than eat or drink for week and half is not ideal preperation - but plan to go with 1.45 pacers and try and hang on long as I can :)

Best of luck with the HM Vagga - sounds like the ideal taper to me!

Back home - and would normally have done a longish run today, but with the half tomorrow I left it alone.

Plan for week ahead - It would be very easy, and dangerous to go wild and do a 55+ mile week after two weeks on holiday, as that would have injury written all over it..

Monday : Midlands Half
    Tuesday : Rest / Swim Maybe
    Wednesday : 5 Miles
    Thursday : 5 Miles
    Friday : Rest
    Saturday : Boards LSR - circa 12/13 miles
    Sunday : 6-8 Miles - depending on how I feel

Midlands Half - 1.44.11

Brilliant run on a far tougher course than it was made out to be.

Report to follow later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Great result, fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Super stuff vagga, at this rate of improvement it may be time to look at sub 3:30 for DM and I'm being deadly serious, keep up the good work.

Well Done Vagga

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done dude. Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant time Vagga, congrats :)

Vagga, come on tell the truth - twas warm weather training you were doing, not drinking and eating boiled eggs:D

Thats a savage block of time to knock off your PB on a tough enough course. Well done boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

chinguetti wrote: »
    Vagga, come on tell the truth - twas warm weather training you were doing, not drinking and eating boiled eggs:D

That's rich coming from you isnt it. Your the king of secret training :D

• Advertisement

That's rich coming from you isnt it. Your the king of secret training :D

I'm getting that on a shirt for my next pacing gig;)

Report for Midlands Half..

I got a freebie entry from Chinquetti, via Meno so I was using this race here to keep me honest and have a go at 1.45, and also to follow pacers for the first time, and use it as a learning experience in that regard.

In advance we were told there was a little hill between 5 and 6 miles and it was basically all downhill or flat from there. So the course did not seem too bad. The sun was belting down for large parts of the course. The field was small enough, less than 200 ran at end of day I would think. Many more would have, if it was on at other time of year I would think.

Went out and stuck with the two lads doing the 1.45 pacing, as per my plan. I was feeling great, so really had to hold back from pushing on here. But I stuck with it. But thank god I did :)

Around 3 miles we met the first hill, a slow drag upwards, nothing crazy. Then at 5 miles we start the upwards climb of the main hill, it went on for ages. The pacers told us in advance that we would slow down a bit going up there, and make the time up on the second half of the course. We saw a castle on a hill in the distance, seemingly huge elevation off the ground. I said I'm sure we are not going up there, or words to that effect. But we were, it was a hard run up there, steeper and much longer than the Kyber, and when we got to what we thought was the top, there was another really steep few hundred meters to go! :eek:

There followed a really sharp decline, and we resume climbing again! This was the nature of the course, long slow hills, and a sharp descent - so while it all may even up to being flat, it was really quite hard at the end of the day.

I found the second half of the course hard going and the longer we went I was thinking that if I was doing this on my own, or not as part of a group I would have slowed to 8.30/9 min miles for the last few and been happy doing a sub 1.50 but I stuck with it and kept with them.

I was thinking I was going to head off and run to the finish with a couple of miles to go, but I was doing all I could to keep up with them. Having the pacers encouraging us was excellent, the first time I have run in a group like that, so it was great.

In the end I "sprinted" home for the last couple of hundred meters - and was dead on my feet at the end. Crossing the line in a chip time of 1.44.12 - which Im very happy indeed with.

Of course then I went out and had 5 pints on a near empty stomach with Meno and RK, so was utterly hammered and even got chips on way home - counter acting any good which had been done - but no one is perfect :cool:

1 00:07:54 1.00 07:54
    2 00:08:09 1.00 08:09
    3 00:08:07 1.00 08:07
    4 00:08:03 1.00 08:03
    5 00:08:23 1.00 08:23
    6 00:07:57 1.00 07:57
    7 00:07:46 1.00 07:46
    8 00:07:48 1.00/ 07:48
    9 00:07:39 1.00 07:39
    10 00:07:42 1.00 07:42
    11 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    12 00:07:58 1.00 07:57
    13 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    14 00:01:05 0.16 06:47

Elevation Gain: 363 ft
    Elevation Loss: 358 ft
    Min Elevation: 289 ft
    Max Elevation: 534 ft

/Next race for me is the 10 mile in a couple of weeks, aiming for 77/78 mis

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Report for Midlands Half..

I got a freebie entry from Chinquetti, via Meno so I was using this race here to keep me honest and have a go at 1.45, and also to follow pacers for the first time, and use it as a learning experience in that regard.

In advance we were told there was a little hill between 5 and 6 miles and it was basically all downhill or flat from there. So the course did not seem too bad. The sun was belting down for large parts of the course. The field was small enough, less than 200 ran at end of day I would think. Many more would have, if it was on at other time of year I would think.

Went out and stuck with the two lads doing the 1.45 pacing, as per my plan. I was feeling great, so really had to hold back from pushing on here. But I stuck with it. But thank god I did :)

Around 3 miles we met the first hill, a slow drag upwards, nothing crazy. Then at 5 miles we start the upwards climb of the main hill, it went on for ages. The pacers told us in advance that we would slow down a bit going up there, and make the time up on the second half of the course. We saw a castle on a hill in the distance, seemingly huge elevation off the ground. I said I'm sure we are not going up there, or words to that effect. But we were, it was a hard run up there, steeper and much longer than the Kyber, and when we got to what we thought was the top, there was another really steep few hundred meters to go! :eek:

There followed a really sharp decline, and we resume climbing again! This was the nature of the course, long slow hills, and a sharp descent - so while it all may even up to being flat, it was really quite hard at the end of the day.

I found the second half of the course hard going and the longer we went I was thinking that if I was doing this on my own, or not as part of a group I would have slowed to 8.30/9 min miles for the last few and been happy doing a sub 1.50 but I stuck with it and kept with them.

I was thinking I was going to head off and run to the finish with a couple of miles to go, but I was doing all I could to keep up with them. Having the pacers encouraging us was excellent, the first time I have run in a group like that, so it was great.

In the end I "sprinted" home for the last couple of hundred meters - and was dead on my feet at the end. Crossing the line in a chip time of 1.44.12 - which Im very happy indeed with.

Of course then I went out and had 5 pints on a near empty stomach with Meno and RK, so was utterly hammered and even got chips on way home - counter acting any good which had been done - but no one is perfect :cool:

1 00:07:54 1.00 07:54
    2 00:08:09 1.00 08:09
    3 00:08:07 1.00 08:07
    4 00:08:03 1.00 08:03
    5 00:08:23 1.00 08:23
    6 00:07:57 1.00 07:57
    7 00:07:46 1.00 07:46
    8 00:07:48 1.00/ 07:48
    9 00:07:39 1.00 07:39
    10 00:07:42 1.00 07:42
    11 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    12 00:07:58 1.00 07:57
    13 00:07:47 1.00 07:47
    14 00:01:05 0.16 06:47

Elevation Gain: 363 ft
    Elevation Loss: 358 ft
    Min Elevation: 289 ft
    Max Elevation: 534 ft

/Next race for me is the 10 mile in a couple of weeks, aiming for 77/78 mis

Well done 'Ger'!

I'm glad to hear the pacing helped but you were still the one who had to do the running, so congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

The Vagga-Train continues to steam ahead...Great PB dude!!

Thanks for all the kind words folks :cool:

A few aches and pains in my legs today, as you would expect from a hard run. The plan was for a swim this evening, but it turns out my gym membership expired last week, so they want €700 for another year, and they can go and take a run and jump tbh. Need to do some research before deciding what to do with that whole thing, only use pool these days, but who knows when I will need gym to rehab an injury.

So I did a recovery run instead..

3.6 Miles in 35 Minutes, so 9.45 min mile pace

I know why I must go slowly and what the purpose is and all that and accept it totally, but it feels odd out running and hardly breaking a sweat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Well done yesterday.
    Those who dont talk for the first 5 miles always have more energy for the last few miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The plan was for a swim this evening, but it turns out my gym membership expired last week, so they want €700 for another year, and they can go and take a run and jump tbh. Need to do some research before deciding what to do with that whole thing, only use pool these days, but who knows when I will need gym to rehab an injury.

Hey Vagga,
    I live beside the ben dunne gym in Santry and have been a member on and off over the years. Can't really fault it when I've been going there. They have some really good deals at the moment. Not sure if any are conveniently located for you but maybe give them a gander - they'd be much cheaper than €700 per annum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Turf out the party boy and convert his room into a home gym, stick in a Jacuzzi, stock up on Champagne and you'll have all the exercise you want ;)

lol - notice to quit has actually been served on party boy as it happens - what we do with his room is another question :)

Busy last night, so did not run.

Did 6.4 miles this morning in 56 minutes, so 8.52 min miles ; middle two miles at planned marathon pace

Still a small bit stiff from Monday, but using the grid and the stick to beat up my legs and its making a difference. Going to Physio later about a small issue, nipping it in bud :cool:

• Advertisement

If Carlsberg made days...

Party boy has just informed me has found somewhere new to live, and will be moving out this weekend. :D

Now to find someway to install an ice bath in that room :pac:

Advertisement