Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If Carlsberg made days...

Party boy has just informed me has found somewhere new to live, and will be moving out this weekend. :D

Now to find someway to install an ice bath in that room :pac:

Party at your gaff after the 10 miler?
    Lets wreck the joint :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    Party at your gaff after the 10 miler?
    Lets wreck the joint :pac:

Better his than mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

RK's new place is basically the snug in Ryans - we cant loose :)

RK's new place is basically the snug in Ryans - we cant loose :)

I ran past Ryans on the way back from the park this evening... :cool:

Saturday morning LSR..

Not really feeling this for some reason, I was really sluggish from start to end and it was harder than it should have been [and that is with us going an easy enough pace for a good bit of run].

Ran up to park, met boards folks, did a lap and a bit of the park [which is the second part of the dublin half basically] and then ran home again.

Overall 13.4 Miles in 2.05 - so moving pace of 9.23 min miles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I ran past Ryans on the way back from the park this evening... :cool:

Ran past? PAST? As in, you ran past and didn't go in?

I do not understand. :confused:

Far too much to drink after the super dubs did away with Tyrone - so I needed to get out and run to sweat some of that booze out of the system!

9 miles on the nose in just 1.22, so just over 9 min miles

Up to the Park, around by the magazine fort and the S Bends, and then up and around to chesterfield and down the avenue and home...

This run passed 700 miles for the year, and 46 miles for the week - good work all around :cool:

Woke up Monday with a sore left knee, out of the blue, as it was fine the day before..

Rest yesterday was good, but I was on my feet all day at work and then at a family thing afterwards.

The knee is not really sore now, but I just feel a tiny "something" on the inside of the left knee - which is not good..

Tonight I went for a slow recovery run, but not for recovery but to test out the knee.

4.16 Miles in 40 mins, 9.41 min miles

Knee no better and no worse - so going to rest it for a day or two, and engage some R.I.C.E. -> Over cautious maybe, but a injury now would really feck up my plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Better to be on the safe side. A couple of days rest will do no harm to your overall plan.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Better to be on the safe side. A couple of days rest will do no harm to your overall plan.
    Yup - had sports massage booked this morning, so went and did it anyway. [Boards Deal one in Berkeley Court, very good actually].

Knee a small bit sore today, so taking a few days off to give it near total rest [or RICE, more appropriately] :(. As somone said in another thread, loose a week of training with rest now, or loose 3 or 4 months due to ripping or tearing something - its not a hard choice...

That said, I will be looking at marathons around europe in mid-late November as a fall back at lunch, just in case. Im not doing all this training and not doing one somewhere :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Look after yourself, hope it passes soon!

12 weeks out from DCM and I'm already imagining aches and pains and fearing the worst! Freak...:D

claralara wrote: »
    12 weeks out from DCM and I'm already imagining aches and pains and fearing the worst! Freak...:D
    Too early for taper madness! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Too early for taper madness! :pac:

I don't know what all the fuss is about this Taper Madness! :rolleyes::cool:

Knee much better today [cant feel obvious discomfort anymore, except briefly when I ran up a couple of flights of stairs, out of habit, coming into office this morning :eek:], this R.I.C.E. stuff really does work..

But I'm still taking it easy for rest of week, nothing tonight and out after work Friday.

Wont do 15 miles as planned on Saturday, but *fingers crossed* Im ok to do something.

Of course, murphys law, my gym membership expired a couple of weeks ago and I was researching what to do [I have been in expensive city center gym] - so I cant even go and do upper body stuff, swim or anything without giving them crazy money :mad:

A run to forget for a few reasons....

4.6 miles in about 45 minutes...

Knee not perfect, but not too bad at all when Im running on grass, but on concrete its not fixed at all.

I have had this generic pain in my knee and sorta been in denial about it and hoped 2 or 3 days off will sort it out...

Denied...

Went for short run yesterday, and when I realized it really was what it was I stopped and walked home.

Today I was not going to go out and rest it, but convinced myself that I was going to go shortest route to Park, and run on grass and then head home [I had taxi money in case things got really bad].

In typical runners knee form, it was grand for a bit over a mile [getting me passed the hop store, on my short route to park]. It was then a small bit sore, right behind the knee cap [again, typical runners knee]. It pretty much stayed like that for the whole run, but I went off road as soon as I could, and when running on grass its fine tbh. I stopped and walked for a few seconds every so often, and that stopped the pain for a while.

Just over 7.5 miles in 1.09 - Pretty much 9.09 min mile pace [but that's 9.30ish pace for most of run and a couple of 8 min mile bursts - to see if I could handle it].

Going to physio first thing monday morning, fingers crossed its "do these exercises and take things a small bit easy for a few days" and not "take loads of time off and do nothing" :eek:

I have my backup marathon selected, a month after DCM - Im doing one if it kills me and bankrupts me :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

If you need a recommendation for a good physio send me a text, hope it's something trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    fingers crossed its "do these exercises and take things a small bit easy for a few days" and not "take loads of time off and do nothing" :eek:

[HTML][/HTML]

Hope its nothing major.

An odd feeling, going into Physio, telling him exactly what is wrong, and exactly how it happened :)

No structural damage to knee thank god, runners knee as predicted [last time I had it, I ran on it too much and inflamed area all around it, and made it much worse, took a few weeks to clear up, was afraid I had done that this time].

Alas, if I had not of run this weekend, he was saying I prolly would be perfect and good to go right now :o

As it is, Wednesday, maybe Thursday I should be ok to do a short run....

I wont race the 10 mile at the weekend which is a shame. He told me not to do it at all, but if mid/late week run goes ok, he said to do a longer run at weekend, so I could "jog" it - for the race day experience and the craic, and do it at LSR pace, at the back of the field? [just wondering about that, of course, I may just hold everyone's bags!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Sorry to hear that Vagga, hope it clears up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

HI;

A few years ago i kept getting runners knee and even now sometimes it aches.

What i used to get around it was a knee support for my runs. Would race without the knee support but used it in training. After a week or two it be grand again.

But everyone is different, hopefully it sort itself out.

Knee 90%/95% - going to do a test run of a few miles before work in the morning if it feels ok tonight and nothing odd or strange happens...

If it goes ok I will "jog" the 10 mile course, if not, I will hold peoples coats and bags and be pissed off at missing all the fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Glad to hear the knee is clearing up :) It's very frustrating getting injured at any time, but when your in the middle of marathon training, it's headwrecking.

Would you be better off not going on Saturday though, I know you said you'll take it easy, but it'll be hard not to push the pace on the day with the race atmosphere. You won't loose anything by not doing it, and you still have the 1/2 mid September?? Better to be sure you're knee is 100% rather than risking further lay-up by doing the race.

Anyhoo, I don't know why I'm dishing out advice, I'm not the best at taking it myself :o

Last night I went for a swim in gym, more to get out and do something productive than watch TV again! I have not been cross training at all, chosen to rest as much as possible [when I can]. No huge issues or drama there.

This morning I went out for run to test things, and did just under 3 miles in just under 28 minutes.

So the good news is that its clearly almost better. It never got that painful at all, but its clearly not 100%, it was a small bit tender right at the end, a very small bit, but enuf to be able to tell its not quite done yet.

So I could have ran more today, but who knows how long I could have done before it would be very painful and I lost another week [or whatever]. So sense calls to take the advice from the thread I put on main page yesterday, and ease back into things gently.

Therefore I will not be running the 10 miler for me tomorrow, tbh it would be utter madness to do it for the sake of it with Dublin 10 weeks away, risking more time out.

But I will indeed head up there and meet up with everyone. Maybe meet up with RK and RQ and anyone else around, and we can have a boards cheering/motivation/piss take station :pac:

I will run again on it Sunday morning..

On the plus side, weighed myself at gym and have lost weight over last month, which is nice :)

Went up and checked out the 10 miler with Meno yesterday. Also the manditory few pints afterwards :)

Raging I could not take part on such a great day for it.

I went out for a run this morning, testing the knee. I was sort of hoping that it would not be too bad as it was feeling ok, and I was thinking maybe get 5 miles done [if lucky].

Alas, the knee was still not right, and quite soon into run I could sense a bit of pain in it, so I slowed down, and kept going for a small bit to see what it would do. But alas, it was not some kind of phantom pain. The more I went on, it remained, and started to get worse as I stopped.

So just under 3 miles in 29 mins odd.

I could have gone on and run with the pain [and it seems some folks do that for months and years], but to what end, so I just pulled the plug, as I want it right so I can resume normal service. So I just ventured home. So its an afternoon of RICE and a depressing visit to the physio tomorrow ahead for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Went up and checked out the 10 miler with Meno yesterday. Also the manditory few pints afterwards :)

Raging I could not take part on such a great day for it.

I went out for a run this morning, testing the knee. I was sort of hoping that it would not be too bad as it was feeling ok, and I was thinking maybe get 5 miles done [if lucky].

Alas, the knee was still not right, and quite soon into run I could sense a bit of pain in it, so I slowed down, and kept going for a small bit to see what it would do. But alas, it was not some kind of phantom pain. The more I went on, it remained, and started to get worse as I stopped.

So just under 3 miles in 29 mins odd.

I could have gone on and run with the pain [and it seems some folks do that for months and years], but to what end, so I just pulled the plug, as I want it right so I can resume normal service. So I just ventured home. So its an afternoon of RICE and a depressing visit to the physio tomorrow ahead for me.

Bad news :( Good job you didn't do the race yesterday so!

Good job you didn't do the race yesterday so!
    yea, indeed

A full week off any running in an effort to clear up injury once and for all.. :(

Hammys and quads needed 20 mins dry neadle work this morn at Physio - problem more with them stressing knee at this point.

So time to get a new hobby? Stamp collecting? Re sub to wow and loose my life in there for a few months maybe :)

• Advertisement

Re sub to wow and loose my life in there for a few months maybe :)

southparkwow.jpg

:pac:

Advertisement