Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A mate in town from Australia, so I am on entertainment duty for a few days.

So I will be doing nothing but eating and drinking for a few days! So will be bulling to get out and get something done come the weekend!

mate is gone back to Australia - 3 days of non-stop eating and drinking, great fun but Im not going near a weighing scales for a while :)

Got to the gym this morning, 40 mins running on a treadmill at a pretty fast pace [intended doing 20/25 mins, but felt good, so kept going] and then did 25 mins of weights.

So I have not done anything all week bar one trip to gym with the hectic social life I have gotten all of a sudden [going to see mate in theatre tonight, and out afterwards].

The bad weather kept me in last night which made me very guilty as soon as I hit bed. Im normally one of the people saying man up, but I was literally being blown over as I was walking home, but should have gone to gym.

So Im doing a long run on Saturday and Sunday, a nice pace with some of the lads in the park on Saturday and I have an idea for a long [but focusing on doing tempo stuff, so bursts of speed] run on Sunday, and go out via my Mum's and back, which would be around 12 odd miles and involve a few long and short hills which I need to start tackling as I think about Connemara.

Im going to start a blog, as it seems to be mandatory for people embarking on a long term running goal [connemara + another half, leading to doing a full one in Dublin or similar in 2011]. I guess I need to think of something interesting as a hook for the blog, so its not just the same as the other 9 million blogs out there.

Damn - I must have missed the couple of boardies meeting in the park this morning by literally minutes

I did around 20k anyway - which is longer than I have ever gone before. So Im chuffed.

Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Max HR: 157 bpm

I got a small issue in my right knee after a few KM's, so I slowed down a tad. But Im totally happy, that all I wanted to do was a long slow run anyway :)

1 00:05:57 0.62 09:34
    2 00:06:00 0.62 09:40
    3 00:06:02 0.62 09:43
    4 00:06:11 0.62 09:58
    5 00:06:07 0.62 09:51
    6 00:06:00 0.62 09:40
    7 00:06:07 0.62 09:50
    8 00:05:56 0.62 09:33
    9 00:06:18 0.62 10:09
    10 00:06:35 0.62 10:35
    11 00:06:15 0.62 10:03
    12 00:06:13 0.62 10:01
    13 00:06:16 0.62 10:05
    14 00:06:19 0.62 10:10
    15 00:07:03 0.62 11:20
    16 00:07:03 0.62 11:21
    17 00:06:48 0.62 10:57
    18 00:06:52 0.62 11:03
    19 00:07:07 0.62 11:28
    20 00:14:40 0.62 23:36

Right knee still a tiny bit sore when I stress it at all so went for a swim yesterday.

Will go to a physio tonight, as I dont want to mess it up long term or make a genuine problem worse

• Advertisement

Have small issue with right knee [confirmed by physio last night]. Its not that serious, but will only get worse and worse if I ignore it - and mess up connemara plans [and beyond] in new year. So I better sort it.

Long story short is that the advice I received from physio is that need to do silly exercises on it a few times a day for a couple of months and cut back on serious stress on knee. [that would be long runs or going too fast].

Damn :(

I dont know about the two 10k's [marley park & aware] and the 5k [jingle bells] Im entered in now. I will see how we go with exercises over a few weeks I guess.

With my knee issues I had a quiet week. I was in the gym 3 or 4 times, focusing on weights and doing some cardio. I mixed around the cardio stuff, doing bike one day, treadmill one day, rower one day and the cross trainer another. At all times I was able to go for 15 to 20 mins with no bother, and then the knee starts to bother me, so I stopped.

I went for a swim on Friday, and it was fine. So I thought to risk it this morning [after going on a monster piss up last night!!].

This morning I went for a proper run for the first time since last week. I did 6k at a pretty slow pace, running from my place to my mums, as I had to go up there for a couple of things :) Around 3 to 4k mark I started to feel knee [only a small bit] and around 5k mark it was quite sore.

Avg HR: 130 bpm
    Max HR: 158 bpm

1 00:05:49 0.62 09:22
    2 00:05:56 0.62 09:33
    3 00:06:00 0.62 09:40
    4 00:06:15 0.62 10:04
    5 00:06:03 0.62 09:45
    6 00:06:19 0.62 10:10

I guess I need a fair bit more time to rest and sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Reading your log with interest. I am signed up for Connemara Half too and slowly building up to it.
    Perhaps dont make any decisions on the runs until nearer the time? Had a problem with my knee few weeks ago and had to cut out the runs and the distance for a few weeks...just went back to 5K for couple of weeks, on grass and with knee strapped. Can still notice now when I do long run but otherwise is okay. Like you dont want to chance anything that could affect prep for April. Good thing is we have a good bit of time to get ready and so can afford to take it a it slower.
    Similar to you I went from doing little exercise a few months ago to running 28K this week..of course my body is finding it hard to accept..my OH even finds it hard to believe.
    Take care and hopefully it wont take too long to heal.:)

Thanks Maria. Well done on your 28k, thats brilliant.

Yea, Im really looking forward to the connemara half. So I dont want to take too many risks now, which could damage my knee's - so Im going to take it easy for a few weeks. Im going to focus on weights and stuff like swimming.

Quiet enough week, as Im being a good boy with my knee issues..

Went to gym on Monday, and again this morning.

A good session on rowing machine this morning, was in a heap after it [around 2350m in 10 mins [slowing down for last 30 seconds], dont know if thats ok or sh1te - but I was wrecked after it, and that was the goal!]. But importantly the knee was perfect after it. So that could be the machine of choice for next while, I will see how many meters I can do in 10 minutes, or maybe how far I can do before collapsing :)

• Advertisement

So my physio had said that I could go for short runs no problem at all, but I had been good and had been avoiding it. I had been doing short bursts of cardio in the gym [apart from the run Sunday, which was punishing myself for going on piss and getting chipper afterwards the night before!].

I went for a 5k run last night [Garmin issues so no stats, own fault, forgot to charge it, but did 5.5k in 34 minutes] after a bad day I wanted to get out and clear the head and stuff. The knee was fine until right around 5k when I was just back at my front door. I did not really feel it afterwards which is positive. So its deffo getting better I think. I'm not going to take too many chances?

Now this morning in work I can feel the knee a tiny bit, not sore at all, but there is the worlds smallest bit of pain there - and as the physio said to me, its fine now, but if I leave it, its only going to get worse and worse.

The big question is do I run the Marley Park 10k next week &/Or the Aware 10k a couple of weeks later or what? [Already knocked jingle bells 5k on head]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The big question is do I run the Marley Park 10k next week &/Or the Aware 10k a couple of weeks later or what? [Already knocked jingle bells 5k on head]

If you're okay for short runs, why are you choosing between two 10ks and definitely not doing a 5k? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

What is the knee issue exactly? Did the physio give you a name?

Anyway I dont see race pace helping it, get it fully right then concentrate on racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭shoegal!

Hope the knee gets better soon Vagga! I echo RayCun, why have you decided against the 5k? You know best though!

I read the replies to my post on Friday morning and it was a bit of a face palm moment. You are all correct, of course.

I just really [REALLY] wanted to do my first 10k, and wanted to do the Marley Park one, as I grew up near there and the Aware one as its a brilliant cause. But to do so, and run though pain [and maybe feck up knee] would be plain stupid.

Bah, now I understand why people always say the hardest thing for a runner is being injured and staying off it.

Anyway, tonight I did basically the exact same run as Thursday night [except in reverse, to keep things interesting]. Wet and freezing, never have I been more glad I can look like a complete plonker with my running tights, as they are solid gold on nights like this :)

I did a fraction over 5k, in 31 minutes odd. Again, I did not feel my knee at all until right at the end, where it was not really sore, per sae, I'm just super conscious of it, so it just started to feel "different". I would have stopped then anyway, but I was basically at my front door, so its all good.

1 00:05:32 0.62 08:55
    2 00:05:50 0.62 09:24
    3 00:05:17 0.62 08:30
    4 00:05:38 0.62 09:04
    5 00:06:00 0.62 09:40

Avg HR: 135 bpm
    Max HR: 156 bpm

Great you are back running...as they say thats what makes a runner (the running) and not the races!
    Like the others I was wondering why you wouldn't do 5K race if you really want to do one? Or there is 10K in Navan (I think) on Stephens day? Still a good few weeks away. You could wait and see how the knee is.
    Keep thinking of April, you dont want to miss out on that one I am sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There is a 5k on at the same time in Marlay, maybe give the organizers a ring and they'll switch you to that?

So I have not been out for a run in a couple of days due to just being busy with real life stuff. Have been to a gym a couple of times in the morning, but thats for more of an intense weights workout with only a blast on rower or something like that.

I swapped to the 5k in Marley this weekend, and only then did I see the time schedule, where the 5k does not start until 12pm. That may be too late for me Im afraid?

Im going to Ireland and Argentina rugby that afternoon, and it starts at 2.30, so I would need to get a lift right from finish line, to my Mum's to shower and change, and then have ataxi waiting to bring us into town for the game.

Life is too short for all that drama, so I am going to skip this weekend after all - and go for a slow, gentle run on Saturday morning to keep the blood moving and see what my knee feels life.

I will do the Jingle bells 5k next weekend in the park after all, and we will see about the Aware 10k the week after closer to the time, and see what I feel like then.

Joe

Interesting day yesterday.

In the morning I went for a quick blast of weights in the gym, knowing I would have a busy day.

Had loads of shopping and random messages to do thru the day :)

Later on in the day I went and experienced yoga for the first time, at a 2 hour session at yogadublin.com - I did not know what to expect and I really enjoyed it to be honest. In the class itself, there were 12 girls and 2 guys. I was able to do everything right up to the end, when she started putting legs behind heads and what not - those last couple I was a dismal failure - but men were not designed for that action, as millions of teenage boys discover every year :)

Im a bit stiff today, but not too bad at all. The area where I have the most pain are my ankles [legs are just plain old stiff], which is odd. But they were used and abused with all manner of stretches and movements - so I guess thats to be expected. But it remains odd :)

No pain and no gain and all that :)

Im supposed to be going to Landsdowne Road today for the rugby, looking out at the snow I think Im mental for even thinking of going

God almighty I hate this snow :)

This morning the main roads are not too bad, but the pavements and the back roads are a potential venue for the next series of ice road truckers!

I have had to make do with the gym this week. I have done a similar workout to this one below 3 times this week now.

Last night I ran 5 miles on the treadmill, 3 fast miles, 7 to 8 mins a mile [fast for me!] and 2 slower miles in-between [10 mins odd a mile].

Also doing 30+ mins session of weights, to try and get an all body workout.

Jesus running in the gym is boring, give me things to look at as Im running around town or running around the phoenix park any bloody day. But Im not risking limb to do it :)

Aim to get to the pub later and see the ladies and gents from this forum in a good old fashioned, "who are you again, whats your real name, whats your boards name again" night out :)

• Advertisement

Between the gym being closed early due to no water, and not wanting to run on dangerous icy roads I have been reduced to running in my living room along to wii fit..

Oh how the mighty have fallen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't even have that because I gave my Wii to my 6 year old cousin :(

[HTML][/HTML]
    Between the gym being closed early due to no water, and not wanting to run on dangerous icy roads I have been reduced to running in my living room along to wii fit..

Oh how the mighty have fallen :)

Hilarious! How much did you do?

I had been meaning to give the Wii to charity to be honest, to get rid of some clutter [and I may still do that over Christmas].

But I dusted it off last night and for 70 odd minutes in-between dinner and depression learning about the budget I did 30 mins running on the spot and 40 mins random exercises.

Its largely useless tbh - but I gets you moving and gets your heart moving to some extent. Its nothing like a replacement for real work in the gym.

I remember doing this back in feb, when I was thinking of starting to run. I ran around in circles around the house and also some on the spot. People complaining of boredom on treadmill should try this. But as I keep saying at least we are doing something when we cant run....cross trainer, exercise DVD, Wii Fit etc. Has to be better than nothing?
    Think I heard on Last Word today that the freeze is coming back next week altho I reeally hope I am wrong...:(

I will update this later with the story with my knee. Its not too bad, but Im just totally off running 100% for a short while, as my physio has me on a exercise, stretch and rest plan which is working.

As I put this in the goals thread, I thought I would plop it in here...
    For 2011..

1) Get back running! Currently totally stopped letting Knee heel, but with the physo and related exercise plan I should be back and fine in the new year.

All those below are based on number 1 working out ok

2) The Conn Half in April

3) Run the Dublin Marathon

4) Doing some random 5k and 10k races here and there

5) A mate wants me to do the Great North Run in the UK with him, that will be 6 weeks or so before dublin, so could just be a long training run? Would be cool do such a famous race.

Hope all is ok.

So I have largely been idle since early November, and the 20k run. What was happening was that after 5k to 6k my knee's were getting sore. It was more of a stinging pain right at/under the knee cap, than the knee buckling under me or anything like that.

The first physio I went to was not amazing, in hindsight, as he was letting me run and gave me some very basic exercises to do. After a few weeks it seemed just the same to me, so I changed guys.

This new guy explained things better to me, and told me to stop running and changed the exercises I was doing, and a couple of weeks later it does indeed feel better. Its quite handy that its Christmas now, as Im sure I would have been doing next to no running anyway, so I get a couple of weeks to get better, and get back into it in the new year.

So what happened I hear you ask.

Well, if you remember my story, 7 months ago odd I was over 20 stone [a fraction under 128kg] and bone idle, unable to climb a few flights of stairs to my gaff. I am now just a shade off having lost 5 stone, being 15.1 stone [96 kg].

As I was going to the gym and getting more and more into exercise, I started couch to 5k. But quite quickly into the program I was running fast and running slow, not run and walk [as you asked ask to, on c25k] - so I was really getting into it, and running more than I should have really.

About 6 or 7 weeks into the couch to 5k program I was running 5k on a treadmill in the gym, a few weeks ahead of schedule. I think its a 9 or 10 week program, and only at the very end should you run 5k in one go.

Next I started running out and about in public, and quickly started running 4 to 5 nights a week, and again very quickly I was doing 30k a week on average. At the weekend I would go to the phoenix park and do a long run. Those long runs became longer and longer, again pretty quickly.

So what I did, basically, was do too much, too quickly. Some muscles [and ligaments] developed excellently, and others did not. The ones which I did not develop properly, caused issues. If it was not going to be this one, it would have been another.

So the Patella ligament, under my right knee cap was getting sore, that was the cause of my pain. What the second physio explained to me was that it was tangled up [where it should be straight] [or frequently on internet, they explain it as it being blistered or use some kind of spaghetti reference!]. Its also frequently called "runners knee" - http://www.runnersmedicalresource.com/injuries06.html

So he showed me where the pain was coming from, as part of his treatment he did acupuncture to my thigh, and on the left it was fine, no drama. On the right, when he put the pins in certain places it was like he was putting a cattle prod to my leg, serious pain. So clearly the muscle all the way up the right leg being tight as hell, and the cause of knee issues. So the whole upper leg needed to me sorted out.

For the last few weeks I have not run a step, but have been doing upper body weights and on the bike and cross trainer in the gym 3 or 4 days a week odd, to keep up some level of fitness and also ensure the knee is getting better [as right when things were worst with knee I could not too do either for too long, and before I saw this new lad I could not do either too hard for too long without it starting to be a bit sore]. I did 35 mins on both bike and cross trainer this morning [working off a *A LOT* of booze from last night!]. No issues.

So hoping in early Jan I will be back at the boards AC weekend meetups, and getting training on some hills for the conn half :)

I have permission from physio to start running again, starting at only 15 to 20 minutes and building up slowly from there...

Yay :cool:

thats a good start to christmas right there..

• Advertisement

been doing treadmill and gym work every couple of days...

Going for first run out and about in ages, a massive 3.5k to get me started nice and easy to see how we are doing :)

Advertisement