Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Monday:
    Woke with legs pretty sore after Sundays adventures, so took it easy

Tuesday:
    Massage with the healing hands of Peter Matthews

Legs still sore between the massage and the final effects of Sunday so went for a decent swim instead of running. Just being cautious, and I think it was good call :)

This Morning:
    9 Miles around town in just short of 1 Hour 23, so 9.07 min mile pace

Garmin was messed up at the start and claims my first mile was 11.30, which it never was, but who really cares :)

Windy as hell out there, so a good session, as I was running into the wind for majority of the way I was going.

Last day in this current job tomorrow - so skiving off today as I have literally zero to do, sat there reading boards all day yesterday. Getting a bunch of jobs done today.

[Anyone know a good tiler?]

6 miles, from my place in town, out to sisters in rathfarnham - via a weird route to add a mile or two to the journey :)

6 miles in just over 54 minutes - so just over 9 min mile pace - perfect pace happy with that.

Doing final long LSR either tomorrow or Saturday...

My second 20 miler pre-DCM

Met with a load of boardies and 4 of us went off, around the park, back to the cars [at Garda HQ, due to Simon Run and Chesterfield works] - then out to Castleknock Gate, thru castleknock village, back in, and thru farmleigh..

I left the gang at this point as I was 2 miles ahead of them having run up to the park. I ran around the back by S bends - and out and home.

Took a gel at 6 miles and at 12 miles, plan was to take a 3rd one at 15/16 miles [to see what my stomach would be like after 3 of them as much as anything] - but I did not take that 3rd one for some reason I cant explain. So I was utterly ruined at 17.5/18 miles and energy left me [hello mister wall I assume!], and my last 3 miles were 10 minute miles - which was a bit of a worry.

20 miles in 3 hours 14 mins - 9.39 minute miles.

I guess I am now tapering :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Some days you rely on gels other days not so much, once you've rested through taper and carb loaded you'll run up to 20 without any problems, midweek training will take you the rest of the way.

5 quick miles around town - 43 mins so 8.40 min miles [it claims]..

But I dont really believe that, as it tells me my first mile was 5.57, which is plain wrong, I could not go that fast falling off a cliff!! The fact the my Garmin shows my best pace as

Best Pace: :03 min/mi
    :eek::rolleyes:

I was really floating around 9 min miles..

Ran without knee brace and also wore new Glycerin 8's which I will use for Marathon itself. All good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

But I dont really believe that, as it tells me my first mile was 5.57, which is plain wrong, I could not go that fast falling off a cliff!! The fact the my Garmin shows my best pace as

Best Pace: :03 min/mi
    :eek::rolleyes:

This happens with the garmin from time to time, due to running with poor sattelite signal. You can easily see where the problem is by zooming in on the map near the start of the run and clicking 'bird eye view'. It normally shows you starting no where near where you actually did.

Life is complicated...

Just started new job, first impressions of which are that it is brilliant. One of the early things I was told is that there is a really important all day strategy meeting which I totally have to be at, at which all the important people in the company will be attending etc etc.

When is it on...

Monday October 31st [and spilling over onto the Tuesday] :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Oh No :eek:

Must be really important if they want to have it on a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Life is complicated...

Just started new job, first impressions of which are that it is brilliant. One of the early things I was told is that there is a really important all day strategy meeting which I totally have to be at, at which all the important people in the company will be attending etc etc.

When is it on...

Monday October 31st [and spilling over onto the Tuesday] :eek:

Oh dear God, sounds like your worst nightmare. Give them the spiel about the charity thing etc and i'm sure they'll see sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

They have to understand. Maybe you could go to the meeting after the marathon. That would really impress the bosses.

Imagine arriving into a meeting late and saying, "sorry I was late, I was running a marathon."

• Advertisement

They have to understand. Maybe you could go to the meeting after the marathon. That would really impress the bosses.

Imagine arriving into a meeting late and saying, "sorry I was late, I was running a marathon."

Very Good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You could run in in your gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tough one, but at end of the day missing a meeting wont define your career, doing great work defines it!!!

missed run yesterday due to some real life issues, so did yesterdays scheduled 6 mile run today [and will run tomorrow morning too]

6 miles in 56 minutes - 9.20 min miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Re meeting - talk to your bosses and play up the charity angle. Chances are you won't get sacked for missing it.

If you really think you need to be there, then consider Clonakilty or Florence (as I'm doing if I can't get healthy by Halloween).

Just over 10 miles, in 1.35 - cruising in 9.11 pace.

Wanted to do 12-14, but very nearly had a ginger bread man moment, so had to head home early.

A good run spoiled.

7.5 Miles in 1 hour 10 min odd..

Added on a couple of extra miles onto planned run, due to missed/lost miles yesterday.

Did it this morning, when match was on, not a car on the road. Ran down quays all way, right down to where my new office will be, past Windmill Lane...

5 miles around a very chilly town before work...

Actually went to put on the running tights for first time since last winter, but could not find them, who knows where they are to be honest?

Just over 5 miles in 47 minutes, around 9.25 min/miles

Feeling great, no hint of taper madness as Im busy in real life with other stuff, which is dissapointing really as I was looking forward to going bonkers for a few weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Feeling great, no hint of taper madness as Im busy in real life with other stuff, which is dissapointing really as I was looking forward to going bonkers for a few weeks :pac:

Running is real life, let the other stuff fit around it :cool:

Any update on the Bank Holiday work thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

5 miles around a very chilly town before work...

Actually went to put on the running tights for first time since last winter, but could not find them, who knows where they are to be honest?

I went looking for mine last night before bed and was freaking out, threw all my clothes and hers out of the wardrobe, then I remembered they were in the babys room :D at the bottom of her wardrobe, thank fcuk I didn't wake her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

:pac:

Meno has them Dude, he wore them over his head last time he robbed two bottles of vino and a twelve pack of crisps from his local petrol station :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I went looking for mine last night before bed and was freaking out, threw all my clothes and hers out of the wardrobe, then I remembered they were in the babys room :D at the bottom of her wardrobe, thank fcuk I didn't wake her.

Were you looking for a substitute pair?

Any update on the Bank Holiday work thing?
    I asked the bloke sort of running it/dev in Dublin office and he was like "I'm sure it's fine and I'm sure they will understand - one or two of them run"

But its the big wigs in hq I'm worried about really.

I'm doing marathon, but very large chance I have to go to work right from finish line - which is a shame :(

We will see how it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Were you looking for a substitute pair?

:D
    not quite, we share the same wardrobe and the space at the back is where all the crap ends up.
    Still have to clean the mess up..argh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm doing marathon, but very large chance I have to go to work right from finish line - which is a shame :(

You're not going to be in any fit state to work after the marathon. If they just need you to sit there and say "wibble" occasionally, fine, but they won't get anything more coherent out of you.

Just over 6 and Half miles in just under 57 minutes..

Freezing cold, so wore the running tights [which I found] - they really work as hands and face were freezing, and rest of me was nice and warm :)

Also decided once and for all what my marathon strategy will be - but Im not telling anyone until race morning, or maybe the expo :)

On top of all this running, we moved to a new office in new job Monday, and its just over 2 miles away, so I have been walking it - so power walking just short of 5 miles a day all this week - so much for tapering :)

Will be sorting a crappy bike over the weekend, cutting down the commute and getting rid of this pesky extra exercise :)

Vagga's European Tour 2012 is taking shape :)

Got into Berlin Marathon 2012..

Paris in April and now Berlin in September!

Met a flock of boardies for the last LSR before Dublin...

Between run up there and run back [featuring looking for a hardware store!] - just under 11 miles in just over 1.38 - just over 9 minute miles overall

Feeling great for Dublin, cant wait to get onto that start line :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Vagga, good to meet you today.
    I take it you managed to get that fuse on the way home then?

Advertisement