Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Nope, good ole porridge - but my tummy wont take all that much, those damn butterfly's taking up all the space )

Good Luck to me, and everyone reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Vagga looking strong at 26km. About 90 seconds behind the 3:45 pace setter

seamus wrote: »
    Vagga looking strong at 26km. About 90 seconds behind the 3:45 pace setter
    Reoccurrence of August knee injury in phoenix park made my day interesting for last 16 or 17 miles - but proud of have finished (in complete agony) and raised over 1300 for brainwave!

November is a month off, it was before and it is now with a gammy knee anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Congrats massive achievement have followed your thread and must say loved it, went in today to give a good ole cheer loved it did DCM in 09 and think im developing the taste again, your log is very insporational!!

What was your official finish time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sorry to read your injury flared up :( Well done on finishing.

• Advertisement

What was your official finish time..
    My watch said 4.08, official text says 4.02...

I know which one I'm taking!!

Tbh when I knew 4 was not on I gave up. Walking a fair amount of last 4 or 5 miles due to simply being in agony with left leg...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Well I was at college green and some poor man got to there which was half mile from the finish and collapsed and had to be led off in an ambulance.

Running for 16-17miles on a bad leg and still getting 4:02 is a great achievement, youve made some journey from when u started this log till now, Enjoy your well deserved Nov break

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

official text says 4.02...

Tbh when I knew 4 was not on I gave up. Walking a fair amount of last 4 or 5 miles due to simply being in agony with left leg...

That's a really great time. Fair play to you, it can't have been an enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hard luck on the injury flaring up Vagga. Even with that though, to finish in just over 4 hrs means you are well capable of a really good time when Lady Luck decides to stop fvcking you around!!
    Onwards to the next one...well, after a few weeks rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Vagga, on one leg you did a 4.02. When the leg is right, you'll be flying.

Well done on keeping going and finishing - many would have baled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Well done on the time. I had my own issues but only for 6 miles, not your 16, it takes a lot of will power to keep going facing all that road so well done again on toughing it out.

Thanks for all the messages here - really means a lot when things went so badly yesterday :)

Left leg does not really work today, and Im at work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fair play to you for finishing (in a great time!) and hope the injury doesn't hold guy up too long. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Congrats vagga. You've got plenty more marathons in you with all the training put in so enjoy the achievement of your first (of hopefully many) DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Chin up Vagga, your time is really good for a first time marathon. Mine was 4:15 and I suspect I walked a lot more than you did yesterday (and I wasn't even injured :o).

Just curious, did we pass you at soem point? I don't remember seeing you, but then again I was a bit woozy in the head myself over the last 10k :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Well done! hard luck on the injury. you showed serious guts going the distance after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic time with an injury and well done for keeping going....many more would have given up.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Chin up Vagga, your time is really good for a first time marathon. Mine was 4:15 and I suspect I walked a lot more than you did yesterday (and I wasn't even injured :o).

Just curious, did we pass you at soem point? I don't remember seeing you, but then again I was a bit woozy in the head myself over the last 10k :(
    First - you guys passed me just after ucd flyover - just before rte - one of the pacers said hello but I was not in a cheerful place at all then, so was rude and ignored him, could not tell you who it was tbh

Second - legs much better (i can walk now!!) and cheering up and not such a miserable git today either! Still annoyed at things, but being unhappy wont change it or sort it out!

Great to see so many others did so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Ah Vagga, chin up.

You ran just over 4 hours for your first, that's savage especially given your injury.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ah Vagga, chin up.

You ran just over 4 hours for your first, that's savage especially given your injury.
    I know, I know...

Never having worked so hard for anything before and being well able to have met my goals it's a pain in the arse. That's all, I'm just annoyed - life is going on as normal. Being mad busy in work is a blessing! Also planning fabulous holiday to spain a week at some stage of new year helps :)

But there will be other races, and I'm already entered into Paris and Berlin next year, so we will get back on the horse in late Nov/December, aim for a random 10k somewhere in late Jan.

• Advertisement

I know, I know...

Never having worked so hard for anything before and being well able to have met my goals it's a pain in the arse. That's all, I'm just annoyed - life is going on as normal. Being mad busy in work is a blessing! Also planning fabulous holiday to spain a week at some stage of new year helps :)

But there will be other races, and I'm already entered into Paris and Berlin next year, so we will get back on the horse in late Nov/December, aim for a random 10k somewhere in late Jan.

You could do the Cupid's Dash in February but it can be up to 200m short! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Vagga you have a great marathon time and some brilliant training behind you in the face of a pretty nasty injury and interruption to your plans - not to be sniffed at! Well done on Monday, plenty would have given up. Think of how far you've come since this time last year. Stop being negative and start enjoying the thoughts of your first marathon - you don't want it to be a sour memory in years to come when you're running your 100th marathon in 2.08!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Vagga, last year i had trained great and lost my race 2 days beforehand with a car hitting me and still ran 3.38. I was like you feel now, beat myself up about what might have been.

This year i ran 3.55 and would hold it as a far better and smarter race despite my time due to injury. People doing their first marathon get injuries due to wear and tear but you rose above it and finished your first marathon in severe pain when it might have been easier to jump off the road.

You could have had a far worse day like the guy at 26 miles who they were putting in an ambulance when i passed. You finished and you have learned so much for future efforts, you just don't know it yet. The day will come when you will get your time and it makes it all the better.

Fix the knee and run Paris and enjoy it, don't kill yourself training for it. Aim for Berlin and tie your wagon to the Claralara express train, she's drag you to a cracking time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As I said earlier - you are being VERY hard on yourself. I know it sucks, I've been there, 3 times, but you have to remember the disruptions to training. Relaying what Matt says, you have to look at the circumstances and remember that you missed training with the injury and that it flared up again didn't help.

That's a great time for any average runner taking on their first marathon, never mind someone who missed time through injury and had a flare up recently. Not so long ago you thought you wouldn't even make the start line, never mind the finish line.

Look how far you've come over the past few months/year. When we all met you at the Simon 5 mile last year did you really think you'd be running a marathon a year later?

Now do as you're told and take pride in what you achieved.

As I said earlier - you are being VERY hard on yourself. I know it sucks, I've been there, 3 times, but you have to remember the disruptions to training. Relaying what Matt says, you have to look at the circumstances and remember that you missed training with the injury and that it flared up again didn't help.

That's a great time for any average runner taking on their first marathon, never mind someone who missed time through injury and had a flare up recently. Not so long ago you thought you wouldn't even make the start line, never mind the finish line.

Look how far you've come over the past few months/year. When we all met you at the Simon 5 mile last year did you really think you'd be running a marathon a year later?

Now do as you're told and take pride in what you achieved.

I met you in February at the afore mentioned Cupid's Dash and you were thrilled with 54 mins, look at you now!

Im really not bothered doing a race report, read Clara Lara's report instead :cool:

Next goal race for me is Paris on April 15th - but right now Im really liking the idea of taking that one easy and "just getting around" and saving really hard training and killing myself for later in the year in Berlin. But we will see.

Search is on for races to do leading up to that, but I doubt I will be doing any other races in 2011. Priority is to get healthy and do stuff which does not involve running for a while.

Im going to join Crusaders AC when I get back into things in a few weeks due to the fact they are less than 2k from work], and do the whole regular club training thing.

Yesterday was the first time since the marathon I really wanted to run again, so that's progress. But alas knee and hip still sore so not doing anything. Physio for first time tomorrow morning [My excellent guy has been away and I don't want to waste time and money on a Muppet. No harm waiting a short while letting lets recover a bit, as Im in no rush to get back out. Want this sorted properly now.].

Entered Kinvara Rock and Road Half Marathon at start of March, as my Pre-Paris half.

Random : Interesting observation from Leinster and Munster game BTW - Leinster players going thru Power Bar gels at a mad rate. Maybe always have, but not noticed before [and I have had season ticket for a while].

Yup physios plan was same as the one in my head - getting good at this injured lark...

November off running totally..

Going to start stretching and building it up slowly, with the aim of sorting it once and for all.

I miss running, but loving this social life and all this free weekend and evening time I have now.
    • Was in Gym for first time since marathon last night, no problems - but did not do any impact work - 25 mins on cross trainer and random weights.
    • Walked to work on Sunday, half an hour odd, power walked, and knee and foot were sore after it. [Pain vanished after a short while, but that is not the point].
    • Going to get x-ray on foot, and see if the plate I have in there [for over 15 years since very bad leg break] has moved or something.
    • Be shocked if I'm running to any wild extent before Christmas - as I'm not doing anything until Im happy knee is perfect.
    • Gained a small bit of weight sitting on my arse for last two weeks, no one told me you STOP carb loading after marathon :pac:

• Advertisement

Away for R&R weekend with other half - brilliant..

But knee sore after a longish walk and also sore after horse riding [some funny stories for my next LSR, but there not going on print!!! :eek::o] - not good for running immediate future.

Advertisement