Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Monday : rest

Tuesday AM: Sports massage with the healing hands of Peter Matthews beating the **** out of my poor and tired legs :)

Tues PB: Between 8k home from work at recovery pace [actually went too fast if Im honest as I was doing just under 6min/km's for most of it!]

Wednesday AM: 12k run into work in 1.05 mins - with vast majority of run at marathon pace

Year to Date: 519.5km's

Morning mid-week long run in the phoenix park...

17k in 1.35 - mostly at marathon pace with fartlek like bursts at half marathon pace in a very unscientific manner [I really must figure out how to do intervals on my Garmin!]. A really good and pretty hard session. A fantastic confidence booster :cool:

Im a bit tired now mentally due to real life stuff and physically due to work and all this running - so since I am tapering afterall its a good thing I have an enforced couple of days off for a few reasons - so next run Sunday. :D

Sunday morning LSR with some of the gang, around the sunny phoenix park :)

25k in 2.25

Last 3 miles after I left the gang at somewhere between half and full marathon pace!

Wore heart strap for the first time since Athlone 3/4 [where I had Avg HR:139 bpm; Max HR:171 bpm], just out of curiosity..

Avg HR: 130 bpm
    Max HR: 153 bpm

Roll on paris in 2 weeks :)

In London for single night, so did 10k in 56 mins - so at or slightly better than marathon pace around amazing regents park.

Reading all the reports from Conn has me itching to get out and get racing and tear up the streets of Paris :(

Yesterday had to do 2k or 3k @5k pace running all over London to catch my plane after my last meeting ran over - good thing Im fit :)

===

Anyway, tonight, 10k in 56 minutes odd on standard route around town - middle KM's at faster than marathon pace.

• Advertisement

Have wanted to do one of these PB tables for ages - so now I'm thinking of what pace to run marathon and what goals to have afterwards it makes sense....

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:21:36 (Dunore 2011)|00:20:59 [Goal]
    5 miles|00:36:59 (Sportsworld 2011)|00:35:00
    10km|00:45:40 (Dunshaughlin 2011)|00:44:00 [Goal]
    10 miles|01:17:00 (Mallow 2012)|01:15:00
    Half Marathon|01:44:11 (Midlands 2011)|01:39:59[Goal]
    Marathon|04:08:Bla (Dublin 2011)|03:49:00[Goal]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Have wanted to do one of these PB tables for ages - so now I'm thinking of what pace to run marathon and what goals to have afterwards it makes sense....

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    5km|00:21:36 (Dunore 2011)|00:20:59 [Goal]
    5 miles|00:36:59 (Sportsworld 2011)|00:35:00
    10km|00:45:40 (Dunshaughlin 2011)|00:44:00 [Goal]
    10 miles|01:17:00 (Mallow 2012)|01:15:00
    Half Marathon|01:44:11 (Midlands 2011)|01:39:59[Goal]
    Marathon|04:08:Bla (Dublin 2011)|03:49:00[Goal]

That looks very familiar to me (the table, not the times :() :D

You should be going for 3:45 for marathon, if not Paris, definitely Berlin.

The more training and prep for paris is going well the more my goal is creeping nearer that 3.45 mark tbh. [which is always listed as being dangerous!].

The conversation Im having with myself being saying feckit and going all out for 3.45 kinda time [get busy living.... kinda thing] - or on the other side not wanting the hell on earth I suffered in Dublin and being slightly more conservative in my time goal.

Its a conversation i will be having with myself until 8.45 odd next Sunday morning :eek:

PS: Yup, stole the table from you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I had the same thoughts before Conn. I could have gone a minute or two faster, but in hindsight I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

No harm in going for 3:50 in Paris and 3:45 or faster in Berlin. Patience and more miles will pay off!

Argh!!!!!! - Paris accommodation has just fallen thru [was to stay in a mate of GF's apartment].

Time to get absolutely fleeced making late hotel booking :(

• Advertisement

9.5k in just under 50 mins..

P & D said this session should include 3 x 1k @ 5k pace, realistically, I did 3 x 1k @ something between 5k and 10k pace - but not too unhappy at all with that at the end of a long day at work, with bag on back and after 3 hours sleep last night [insert more excuses here] :)

Now for a Pasta and Veg fest and an evening in front of the golf :)

17.5k in 1.41

Avg HR: 129 bpm
    Max HR: 149 bpm

Last LSR before Paris with RK around the phoenix park, feeling great and cant wait to get this last week over and get out there next weekend :)

Also picked up my club vest this morning [I joined Crusaders a short while ago] - so good to get that sorted before the race!

Year to date : 598.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The more training and prep for paris is going well the more my goal is creeping nearer that 3.45 mark tbh. [which is always listed as being dangerous!].

The conversation Im having with myself being saying feckit and going all out for 3.45 kinda time [get busy living.... kinda thing] - or on the other side not wanting the hell on earth I suffered in Dublin and being slightly more conservative in my time goal.

Its a conversation i will be having with myself until 8.45 odd next Sunday morning :eek:

PS: Yup, stole the table from you :)

I Could have written some of this post!! Limerick is my test before Dublin and I'm so leaning towards aiming for 3.45.
    Also wouldn't mind any of your other PBs...some of then are goal times for me.

Just under 9k in just over 47 mins...

Feeling amazing, really strong - and as a result where this run was supposed to be at recovery pace it ended up being a faster run, but still within taper "shorter distances, but higher intensity" guidelines.

Nothing until Wednesday now, when I will do the short dress rehearsal run with the gear I plan to wear.

Roll on paris next Sunday.

Bought the lore of running by Noakes over the weekend..

a 900 page monster, always wanted to read it - thinking that should keep taper madness in check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

a 900 page monster, always wanted to read it - thinking that should keep taper madness in check :)

You don't think that 900 pages is likely to make you think about a million and one things to which you previously never gave the time of day??:D

Best of luck anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

9.5k in just under 50 mins..

P & D said this session should include 3 x 1k @ 5k pace, realistically, I did 3 x 1k @ something between 5k and 10k pace - but not too unhappy at all with that at the end of a long day at work, with bag on back and after 3 hours sleep last night [insert more excuses here] :)

Now for a Pasta and Veg fest and an evening in front of the golf :)

Should that not be 3 x 1 mile? ;-)

Should that not be 3 x 1 mile?
    oops - your right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I can claim to have read it and its still useful to me anyway.

Good luck on Sunday in Paris. Whats you're race number so we can track you throughout Paris?

6k in 35 mins odd, as a dress rehersal - wore same gear etc - bloody freezing out this morning, which is not bad as its not looking great weather wise in Paris for Sunday..

Fly out tomorrow morning...

(BBC/Met Office) - Mostly cloudy, max. 11°C/52°F, 26km'h/16mph northerly wind.
    (Meteo France) - Cloudy chance of rain, max. 12°C/52°F, northerly wind.
    (Weather Underground) - Mostly cloudy, 4-11°C/39-52°F, 16-32km'h/10-20mph northerly wind.
    (The Weather Channel) - Cloudy with showers, 5-11°C/41-52°F, 27km'h/17mph northerly wind.

Oh a headwind for most of way out, deadly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Best of luck, Vagga - enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

run44 wrote: »
    Best of luck, Vagga - enjoy it!

+1, good luck and enjoy the w-end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck, hope Paris treats you well, enjoy your weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Best of luck boss

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck dude. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bonne chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck. Hope you enjoy your carbo loading ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck Vagga.

Thanks all for the wishes :)

In the airport now - eating everything in sight, the old fat joe could get used to this carb loading business ;)

(note: alas I'm actually being really sensible!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of Luck Joe, have a great time.

Advertisement