Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

shels4ever wrote: »
    Best of luck with the pb's to be honest I think your capable of going a bit faster for both the 5k and 5mile - Mid sumer 5k is a good one in raheny

Best of luck

Agreed!

Shortly after a 3:43 marathon I ran 43:40 (soft,was ill) for 10k and 20:13 for 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll want to bring your other targets in too - if you're going to run 3.30 for the full you'll need to be faster than 1.39 in the half...

eta: Jaysus, I was late to this party:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    You'll want to bring your other targets in too - if you're going to run 3.30 for the full you'll need to be faster than 1.39 in the half...

eta: Jaysus, I was late to this party:rolleyes:

Also need to bring your 10k time in to get the 35 min for 5 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Vagga. I hear the 1.40 pacers will be great at the midlands half. Let me know if you want to run it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That had crossed my mind - that if the big goal is now 3.30, I am going to have to get more aggressive with other times too.

The age old problem of under estimating myself :)

I guess I will have to reassess all of them - thanks for feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That had crossed my mind - that if the big goal is now 3.30, I am going to have to get more aggressive with other times too.

The age old problem of under estimating myself :)

I guess I will have to reassess all of them - thanks for feedback.

Are you hitting a 5/10k in the next while to take advantage of that marathon fitness? LeCheile is a great race in Leixlip and on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Distance|Current PB|Goal PB
    Marathon|3.46.50 (Berlin 2012)|03:30:00[Main Goal]

You mean 3:46:50 (Paris 2012) | 03:30:00[Berlin 2012] ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

oooh I like this table! Some of those goals I would kill for (and a few of your current PBs) I'm sure confidence is sky high after Paris, so you're positioned well to achieve these.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Vagga;

Dont get too wrap up in the marthon time of 3:30. What i mean is, dont let it take control where everything is towards that and in the meantime you over train for it or lose the enjoyment of running.

Best of luck with it and you will have plenty of shots at it over the years or even better targets.

Samsung 10k around town, 45.45 or so..

Cold, wet and miserable :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Fair man for doing it Vagga. Weather was really dire tonight. Never was i as happy that i wasn't allowed do a race.

Mini report...

Had forgotten I had even entered this until very late last week, so had done zero preparation for it at all, only 3 pretty short and pretty slow runs [by these standards] since Paris.

But I decided to give it a go anyway, and go out and do it. I was treating it as a hard training run, doing 3 x 2 mile intervals, with very short rests in-between - if my pace was right I should have dipped in under my PB by a whisker.

Alas, I went too slow at the start, had some traffic problems, and suffered a bit in the last mile and therefore lost some time, to finish just outside the PB. But no huge drama at all tbh as I had not done a single bit of preparation for it. With 4 or 5 weeks proper training I can do some damage.

Weather really was miserable, cold and wet [and where I have run in cold and wet many times, I had almost lost all feeling in most body parts by the time I got home, the wind chill was savage. My hat and gloves were sopping wet.

Start was a disaster, but was a good idea, just not done quite right. Huge credit to all the marshals standing about in that miserable weather. I got a few shout outs for my boards top, but the only one I recognised was Ray at the point!

On a nice summers night this would be a fun course, and PB central, but it was a misrable night tbh - and I really did not enjoy any of it if Im honest :(

Chip Time : 45.51
    595th out of 3751 finishers

PS : The only thing I was thinking about when I got home was if Im miserable about 90 mins or so out in that weather, I dont want to even dream about the poor folks who are homeless and living in it I saw around the course in doorways etc. I think its motivated me to get off my arse and help do something about that...somehow.

PPS : In related news, there is a huge family event down the country the night of Dunshaughlin now, so I cant do that any more. I think Parkwest 10k is the week before, so that will have to be target 10k now.

Garmin Link for Last Night - not pretty, when I slowed down after first "interval" I never got pace back.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173070742

Down with that sorta thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You also had a quick look around the National Gallery before finishing.
    Focus, man, FOCUS!

recovery run - just over 6k in 38 mins

left hamstring a hit tight from the 10k swim around Dublin the other night.

May do Leixlip 5k at weekend, will make up mind at last minute tbh

8k in 40 mins - Testing hamstring, not quite 100%, not going to risk Lexlip tomorrow. Also trying to increase pace of normal runs, getting my legs used to faster running :)

Im off to Kiev for work on Sunday for a week. Work is really busy these days and Im having to do a fair bit of travel - so finding times to run can be interesting [recovery run the other night was at 10pm, for example!]. But that's not an excuse, its just an expression of frustration, its about time management :)

7k home from work in 38 mins odd

pace a bit all over place but c'est la vie

18k in 1 Hour 40 - early morning LSR around Phoenix Park with Micilin Muc

6 km's around central Kiev, and checking out the area around stadium where euro 2012 final is on!

The main streets are all beautiful and amazing - one street off that and it's all a bit of a mess tbh - huge amount of building and construction still going on to get ready for finals.

Really nice place and helpful and friendly people :)

16.5km's in around 1.29

Morning run in Phoenix park after I woke with a bit of jetlag at 6am, legs a fraction heavy from a week of work away, and all the travelling yesterday.

Run featured 3 sepperate km's in middle at just faster than half marathon pace [with couple of mins warm down between]- not setting any records at all, but good to get back into some element of speed work :)

Not running 'nure 5 mile tomorrow - those three intervals today almost killed me, not in speed shape or form at all.

• Advertisement

I have 2 spare tickets to the match in twickenham - got 2 in branch lottery, where I have 2 myself anyway

Face value to a genuine fan..

PM me for info

8.5k in 41 mins odd around a windy eamon ceannat park..

I would think that wind will be fun at the 5 mile race up the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It was!

So due to things being crazy busy [I'm away some some or all of 4 of next 5 weekends for example] and thus missing a lot of key target races I have abandoned my 6 weeks of speed work between marathon training plans idea. I have therefore now started into Berlin training, with a 20 week plan.

This could be the last marathon I have serious time to train for, for a while due to a range of reasons, so I want to do it properly. I therefore have gotten a detailed custom plan designed for me by a top class coach I know [non-boards and indeed non-Ireland tbh] and around my current aims, ambitions and my work/holiday schedule and putting work into areas where I need to get better if Im to hit my goal.

I feel that Im to make a real go at 3.30 in Berlin I have to be more organised and 'professional' in my approach rather than go for a run 5 days a week and hope it comes together on race day!

As a couple of my teachers kept telling me for 6 years in school, you don't plan to fail, you fail to plan :)

9.5km in 50 mins odd

morning run - horribe insominia since coming home from kiev, so morning runs the thing again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I have 2 spare tickets to the match in twickenham - got 2 in branch lottery, where I have 2 myself anyway

Face value to a genuine fan..

PM me for info

For Leicester vs Harlequins, nice one ;)

14.5km in 1.17 odd - featuring 15 mins at my desired half marathon pace in the middle [circa 4.40 per KM].

This was much harder than it should have been and I was wrecked at the end - but that's why we train and practice I guess :)

Right hip a bit sore yesterday and this morning - so knocked planned run on the head today - so taking Fridays rest day today and I will run in the morning.

Going to London for the match later on after work - staying right by houses of parliment and in middle of tourist action, as its nephews first time in London.

Is it really REALLY sad that I'm almost more excited to be able to go for a run Saturday morning along the Thames for the first time as I am about the match itself...

Actually, dont answer that :)

• Advertisement

As promised, early morning 12 k along the Thames in 1.02 odd. Was going to run to tower bridge but that would have brought run to 20k odd and I don't want to be wrecked later.

A struggle to keep around 5 min km pace at times with legs heavy from getting in late after seriea of travel nightmares yesterday and no food yet.

Now come on Leinster :)

Advertisement