Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    So from 3k onwards I put a bit more pace in there. I kept feeling great. I clearly was running an average of around 5 minute k's - which is brilliant, over the moon tbh.

I know it's easy to say but is this not the important bit, rather than the fact the race was a wee bit short?
    You were delighted with your performance overall, so an extra what 1 min on your overall time...does it make much difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Your right, of course, but its just annoying to have any kind of question mark hanging over what was otherwise a very enjoyable and satisfying performance :)

Anyway, its in the past now, onwards and upwards!

277 Joe OReilly 1340 34 54:08.4

Looking a bit mad, crossing the line :)

http://www.stockpictures.ie/details.php?gid=82&pid=2600

Went swimming last night [with all the other desperate singleton's] - just wanted to move a bit, as I was a touch stiff, but wanted low impact. Still cant figure out breathing and swimming at same time. Need to book lessons :)

An easy 6k this morning, took just under 40 minutes

No messing with watches or chest straps, too early in morning for messing with that stuff :)

Ran just over 5 1/2 miles, in just under an hour.

Did some tempo stuff in the middle, with some dead easy bits either side :)

Avg HR: 140 bpm
    Max HR: 176 bpm

• Advertisement

First proper long run of this session of conn training, so I did just over 10 miles, with a focus on hills, so I ran up most of the nasty hills in the phoenix park [a couple of them twice!]. I did this rather than doing one hill 5 or 6 times, just to keep it interesting!

Elevation Gain: 481 ft
    Elevation Loss: 472 ft
    Min Elevation: 13 ft
    Max Elevation: 200 ft

I therefore struggled a bit the longer the run went on to be honest, a combination of the hills and the duration of the run being the second longest I have ever done really made it tough. But thats why we do these long runs and punnish ourselves, right!

Took 1 hour 51, but I took a nice slow and gentle start and finish, in the name of warming up and down, to look after my knees.

The heart rate average is diluted by that slow start and a slow end, but if that is the price of looking after my knees, then feck the average heart rate :)

Avg HR: 135 bpm
    Max HR: 163 bpm

1 00:05:11 0.62 08:20
    2 00:05:39 0.62 09:07
    3 00:05:52 0.62 09:27
    4 00:05:50 0.62 09:24
    5 00:05:29 0.62 08:50
    6 00:06:12 0.62 09:59
    7 00:05:41 0.62 09:10
    8 00:05:37 0.62 09:02
    9 00:05:56 0.62 09:33
    10 00:05:50 0.62 09:24
    11 00:06:24 0.62 10:18
    12 00:06:17 0.62 10:07
    13 00:05:46 0.62 09:16
    14 00:06:16 0.62 10:06
    15 00:06:12 0.62 09:59
    16 00:06:14 0.62 10:02
    17 00:09:20 0.62 15:02
    18 00:09:35 0.62 15:26

PS: There should be a special place in hell for dog walkers who dont control their dog and also who dont clean up their **** after them :(

Sunday : Mixture of hunover and stiff for run, so did 30 mins swimming and nothing else

Monday : Looking after the old knees, so did 45 mins on cross trainer, and a general weights workout.

Tuesday Morning : Im busy later, so I just did an easy 4 miles around town

Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Max HR: 168 bpm

Did just over 6 miles at my first attempt at a Fartlek run!

Did it over a totally new route, out to Killmainham and back through Walkinstown, and into town.

Had not intended to run this morning, but was awake at 6am. So went out and did an easy 4 miles - including voting on the way home.

Was very sluggish, really dragging my ass around there at times.

Damn Garmin, spent the first mile and a bit searching for sattelites again! Must do some reading on that over lunch, and find a way for it to stop doing that twice a week :) [I know there is an epic thread on it here somewhere].

unwell?

• Advertisement

This morning I did a first session with the Phoenix Park Runners [formerly Civil Service AC]. I was fantastic, I loved it.

Everyone was very friendly, and a great bunch of ladies and gents. The sesison was more short speed based [where most of my solo training is slow, long runs]. So I am now wrecked, but in a good way, as it was good hard work [for me anyway!].

I did just over 9 miles, between the two miles to get too and from 2 miles from the park, and then the training runs themselves.

I was going to do a run after the match later, but had to go to my mums this morning, so ran there since I know its pretty much 4 miles on the nose from my house to there.

Ran at around 10k pace, its mostly slow steady and uphill, so its a good run.

1 00:05:20 0.62 08:36
    2 00:05:25 0.62 08:43
    3 00:05:31 0.62 08:54
    4 00:05:27 0.62 08:46
    5 00:05:31 0.62 08:53
    6 00:05:27 0.62 08:47
    7 00:03:55 0.45 08:38

Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Max HR: 153 bpm

What was interesting, the last time I did that same run was early November, and it took me around 50 minutes [where today it took me 36 odd minutes]. How things change with a few long runs and some extra training :cool:

Ran 5 and 1/2 odd miles, with 30 odd mins of somewhere between 5k and 10k pace in the middle [either side of easy first and last miles, as I look after my precious knees!]

My hip is a tiny bit sore after weekend, so off to my physio tomorrow, more out of caution [5 1/2 weeks before conn], and to get some exercises for it. Knees not too bad at all, as long as I warm up and take it easy at start I dont get too much grief from them. I hate running on concrete, when days get a bit longer I think I will work out some way to get to Phoenix Park [or somewhere similar] where I can run on a surface which wont cripple me :) [I dont drive for medical reasons]

Signed up for a Chi Running course after Conn Half - Im willing to try anything if it will help me prevent injury and enable me to train for and run marathon :)

My hip pain is a small over use injury [its not sore when running, only afterwards]. When he attacked the exact spot it was agony, but that will be the case with all good physios.

Got a whole new set of daily exercises to do, which was my mission from him.I can really feel the new exercises really stretching it, so thats good.

He told me to take 2 or 3 days off, and seriously stretch things - so I will go to gym for upper body weights and [MAYBE] swimming tonight and head back out running Saturday morning.

Did just under 11 miles in the phoenix park.

After listening to a recent episode of marathon talk during the week, I experimented with a "run walk" strategy, in that every 3 to 4 miles I would walk for between 20 to 30 seconds and eat a small bit and take a small drink - the result is that it was easily my best run of over 10 miles..

Not only did I have energy left in the tank at the end, it was my fastest run of over 10 miles, at an average pace of just over 9.30 minute miles. I will clearly tweak it over time, but I think I have a good strategy for me to play with, with the starting goal of getting around the marathon course in one piece [not to mention the long training runs] :)

Again, did plenty of hills, with an eye on the race in a few weeks, so had a total elevation of just under 400m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How fast do you usually run when you're going at or over 10 miles?
    Just for reference, my long runs last year were usually around the 10 minute miles mark.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Did just under 11 miles in the phoenix park.

After listening to a recent episode of marathon talk during the week, I experimented with a "run walk" strategy, in that every 3 to 4 miles I would walk for between 20 to 30 seconds and eat a small bit and take a small drink - the result is that it was easily my best run of over 10 miles..

Not only did I have energy left in the tank at the end, it was my fastest run of over 10 miles, at an average pace of just over 9.30 minute miles. I will clearly tweak it over time, but I think I have a good strategy for me to play with, with the starting goal of getting around the marathon course in one piece [not to mention the long training runs] :)

Again, did plenty of hills, with an eye on the race in a few weeks, so had a total elevation of just under 400m

Thats brillant! I have found myself over last couple of weeks unconsciously stopping at about 3 miles for 10-20 secs and it is definatly helping. Am not finding the exhaustion I was previously at end long runs.
    You will be in great shape now for the big one in few weeks and I am sure it feels great to be so well prepared!

@Maria - Im sure you will be fine, you have been training away for a good while now too, so that will all stand to you.

@Ray - I have generally floated just under the 10 minute mile mark too. I was very surprised when I checked the Garmin at the far side and saw the time tbh.

That said - My longest run so far is 12.5 miles [where you would have done many longer than that I would guess], I generally run in or around 11 miles for now [as Im wary of getting injured before Conn, so dont want t over do it for now]. I'm sure if I had added on 3,4+ miles, I would have paid for the fast early pace and would have slowed right down, and its clearly a lesson I need to learn when training for marathon later in year :)

Quite an easy 5 miles as I had some time to kill between a couple of things this morning...

5 miles in 45 odd minutes, around town and down the canal [the reverse of my usual route]

5 miles - with the middle 5k at very close to 5k pace, and something like 10k pace either side of that - done in just over 47 minutes..

Not too bad, given I got home from work, had 4 pancakes, and only then went out for a run, so 47 mins on a full belly is good :)

• Advertisement

Over 6 miles in wind and rain - fun, fun, fun :)

Did it fartlek style, so I really pushed it at some points and at other points I was plodding along recovering. It really is tough work, when your pushing yourself on the 7th or 8th time, and your legs are screaming "STOP"

But I guess thats why we do it :)

Avg HR: 140 bpm
    Max HR: 168 bpm

Took 58 minutes odd.

The strangest thing, is that every single set of traffic lights I went through [since I'm running in town, lots of them] turned red to stop me! I know folks say that, but its really true this time, every single one went green to let cars go as I approached it - the gods working against me :)

After a couple of days off running to recharge, refresh and get slammed in work, I did a good long run today, which turned into my longest run ever, at a touch short of 13 miles in just over 2 hours.

[Note: my previous longest run was 12 1/2 miles and was in late November, and was not a wild amount short of 11 minutes a mile, Im doing 9 1/2 minutes a mile here!]

I did a run/walk strategy again, but stopped fewer times than last week, stopping every 4 to 5 miles for 20 to 30 seconds to eat/drink, not 3 to 4 miles. I also used gel's for the first time [used 2 today], just experimenting with them. [sticky and sweet but do seem to have made a difference...]

With Conn in mind, I did lots of hills again.

Elevation Gain: 512 ft
    Elevation Loss: 503 ft

Really put in a good effort at large parts of the run, and thus...

Avg Pace: 09:29 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 09:21 min/mi

Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Max HR: 178 bpm

So we are 4 weeks away from Conn now, bring it on :)

6 miles, I was going to say easy there but thats not fair on myself and the pace I was going would have outright killed me a few months ago :)

I was doing in or around 9 min mile pace the whole way - except I did one quick mile down the canal in the middle to mix things up a bit, and I took it easy for the last mile home to my gaff, as I have to go to work now - so being a stiff and a wreck is no good to anyone :)

Avg HR: 149 bpm
    Max HR: 183 bpm

Of course, now I have all the stupid yellow gear to run early and late the days are longer and it was bright around 6.30 when I went out, typical ;)

Absolutely savage morning out. Like a summers day..

Just been and did over 7.5 mile run in around 1.10 [heart strap died half way thru race Im afriad, must need battery].

I just went up to the park down the avenue all way to the Castleknock gate at far end, turned around and game back. Simple yet effective! I *really* enjoyed it, been having a nightmare of a week up to now and its brilliant to get out and go for a run and clear your head.

I started off with intention of doing the whole thing in and around the pace I plan on doing the connemara half in, so easier than I have been running of late. But on the way back [4 miles or so and onward] I started to push it a bit as I was feeling great, I did not kill myself at all, I just upped the pace a bit. But I was amazed at the end, that after checking the GPS at home, after I started to push I did my fastest ever recorded kilometer [over 290 odd recorded miles] and I also did my fastest ever recorded 10k [not as fast as my 9.8k PB, as recorded at Cupid 10k!!].

So I'm in a great mood and in great shape for the race in 3+ weeks :)

Now to go and undo all the good work and party like I was 19 again :)

A fantastic day out there utterly beautiful in the Phoenix Park, was up early to do a first coat of some painting around the house, so went out for a run..

Did 11.5 miles in 1.45. I did it with race conditions [in that I left the iPhone at home, and wore the same kit I will wear on race day] and a few other things...

Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Max HR: 157 bpm

I have not run without music for a while, and it really is different isent it? Where your favorite song could spur you on or just make you forget that your legs are sore or whatever - so in that way it was good practice. But I got some serious thinking and planning did, the way others used to do at church on a Sunday morning I guess :) [when Irish people under 60 went to church!]

Im one of the lucky few off the match later, so will have one or 10 pints before, during and after - and undo all my good work :)

The Metro St Bridget's 5k..

Preparation:
    Up at 6am yesterday to do a first coat of paint on a job at home, I then did a 11 mile run at very near planned race pace for Connemara Half, and then went on the piss for the day [going to the utterly amazing match yesterday, yay!].

So ideal preparation for a race the next day :)

Up early again this morning to the second coat of paint on that wall, with decent hangover :)

Race:
    A tremendous day in Dublin, genuinely hot out there. Like I day in June or July. Perfect for a run around town.

Its the best organised race I have done [out of only 10 or 11 races I've taken part in, so Im by no means an expert]. But I really enjoyed it, having taken part in some disasters or badly organised farces. Lots of volunteers and folks eager to help and direct you, before/after the race and on the course itself.

I have only done a single 5k before [which sort of surprised me when I realized it], and did that in 26.11 last September, so I wanted to do this is under 25 minutes. I have been doing long distance running, and next to feck all speed work. So I thought aiming to do around 5 minute kilometers was realistic.

I positioned myself in the middle of the club runners [second group]

The *second* I started I realized that I had taken on zero water in the morning [your an idiot Joe! :eek:], between the hangover and the rush to get the first coat of paint done in time. I was thirsty instantly, and as the run went on I was positivity dehydrated gasping for any kind of a drink, and I thought I had blown any chance I had at a decent time [and wondered how long I could go on for at all tbh].

But I kept at it, and went at what I thought was a good pace, dodging people like a computer game for the first while. I was literally stunned to pass the first k marker at around 4.40 or so. Thats the fasted kilometer I had ever done, so told myself I would have been wrecked at that point regardless of my perpetration!

But that gave me hope, that despite gasping for water and feeling some pain in legs [From doing 11 miles yesterday and then going on piss last night I guess!] I just tried to keep going at same pace.

Its really amazing how important being positive is. You have heard top stars say it for years, but its out there today I really say how important it is. Even when I was burning [legs and lungs], a former version of me would have stopped for a break. I was talking to myself and being positive and convincing myself that I could do it, that I had done this distance literally hundreds of times [and many times on parts of the very route we were doing].

So I just kept going, I thought I was slowing down, a couple of folks I was running near were going away from me and were out of sight near the end, but convinced myself that I could do this in my sleep and I thought that I could get to the end, but thought I had slowed down a good bit. But it turns out that I only slowed about 10/15 seconds per kilometer for the last two compared to the first couple - so thats not too bad in hindsight.

1 00:04:30 0.62 07:15
    2 00:04:26 0.62 07:09
    3 00:04:38 0.62 07:27
    4 00:04:39 0.62 07:29
    5 00:04:43 0.62 07:36

At the end my Garmin says I did it in 22.55 - which I'm utterly thrilled with to be totally honest :cool:. [Im thrilled in any way you look at it, but all the more so given the crap preparation in 24 hours around the race and the stupid mistake not taking on water before hand, on any day, let alone a sunny day].

I have not been as wrecked as I was at the end in a long long time, legs and lungs were literally burning. I now know why RayCun said in another thread some months ago, that if I had run this properly I would not want or need to do a long slow run afterwards. I totally understand that advice now :)

Conclusion is that Im thrilled with the time and I have learned some valuable lessons for future races...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations, you must be delighted with the time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done on that excellent time and very good race report. Not ideal race preparations eh:D

Well done, fantastic time and you must be thrilled!
    All that hard work has definatly paid off!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I am indeed totally thrilled with the time and its great to see all the hard work over weeks and months paying dividends...

Advertisement