Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

18k in 1 Hour 40!

Good run around the park, the knee which was at me a couple of weeks ago was at me again as I went up the Kyber near the end, and at me for a bit of the rest of the way. Not sore enough to stop, but clearly the same "inflamation" I had a couple of weeks ago, and while not something which will stop me easy running, when I run hard or long its at me - so not right.

So have decided not to do planned 20 miler today. Also time to revisit the physio again, and for him to tell me to take 2 weeks off - its not a serious issue, but you have to take any pain in knee seriously, I dont want to loose months injured. :(

Swimming last night, and walking home - knee is not right [again]. Im 99% sure its the same thing I had a couple of weeks ago, so basically I went too hard and far on it too soon, before it was 100% sorted. Its just an inflamation I think, so needs some R&R...

So going to physio this morning, to confirm that. For a change, Im not going to be an idiot, and just stop running full stop until its 100% sorted. [Altho all those Raheny reports does make one want to get out there again...]

Ironically, being doing more core work and cross training [swimming, gym, random exercises classes with other half] than ever before - so in theory I could come out the far side of this much better.

Most annoying injury ever...

Knee feels perfect, and I can do easy running no bother at all [ran 3k to the gym when I was late for a thing on Tuesday, no bother]. But when I push it at all, on bike or running last week its really sore.

Still not running and wont run over weekend - but doing lots of swimming, gym and classes stuff, so good to mix things up.

But whole Ultra thing is in big doubt as I dont want to go to either race VERY undercooked and just torture myself for 5+ and then 6+ hours - but we will see over coming weeks, if I can get back out this time next week I will be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Most annoying injury ever...

Knee feels perfect, and I can do easy running no bother at all But when I push it at all, on bike or running last week its really sore.

But whole Ultra thing is in big doubt .

Dont stop training. Keep building up your endurance. easy miles , and lots of them. leave the hills and speedwork for the moment. Your leg will get stronger with the easy miles and you will still have time to do the harder stuff closer to the day.
    Dont throw it all away

Today on my plan was a 20-22 mile run, what I actually did was watch the match in the gym [which is what I used to do when I was on my initial weight loss plan], doing weights and stuff during the first half and running for 60 mins really slowly on the treadmill during the second half - no huge issues, when I pushed hill or pace on dreadmill it got a bit sore, so I could just ease off and it was fine.. [8.5k in 60 mins, but never believed the numbers on those treadmills tbh]

Afterwards I cycled out to mums to collect something, about 8k or so, and when I pushed it on the bike the knee was sore [again, not agony, but I can very much feel it, so I can run and cycle on it etc, but running and walking thru pain only makes sense at certain times :)]

So clearly not ready for doing anything too dramatic yet - bah!

• Advertisement

Oh and I really enojyed the cycle after the gym - I guess this is how one starts to turn to the dark side :)

Been in gym and/or swimming Sunday and Monday - also been doing the stuff physio asked me every single day.

[...I know, who would have thought those physio exercises work when you do them properly!]

Knee feels fine now in all situations I have worked with it so far, so Im going to do a very easy run later and see how it is.

10.5k in 58 mins

Knee not perfect, but a bit better. Took it easy.

Fun out there, either running into a crazy wind, or a crazy wind behind me :)

Trip to physio - almost better, but not quite, wants me off running for another week, basically if I had not been doing some of the running and classes I have been doing with other half, I would be ok by now. I knew that, but did some of it anyway - d'oh!

On the other side all the other stuff Im doing means my core, hips and glutes are as strong as they ever have been, which should really improve future running and cutting down some silly injuries I have gotten in the past :)

Not doing Donade, not even as a training run. Seriously thinking of skipping Conn [doing an ultra off basically 6 weeks training does not sound smart], in favour of Kildare maybe - but will think about that over weekend.

Update - the mind is willing but...

Would LOVE to be doing donade this weekend and my head keeps trying to convince me to go out and give it a lash but I have done a couple of weeks training over last 6 weeks odd, so it would be crazy. Knee is not right, its almost better for sure, so no point in trying to be a hero and doing 20+ miles this weekend and getting injured again right away!

Spending my time in gym and pool etc etc

7 weeks to Conn and 12 to Kildare from this weekend, all manner of options on the table about what I do. We will see...

• Advertisement

At mums to do some jobs today, so came up early and went out for a tester run, a few laps of St Endas in rathfarnham. Glorious morning..

Was raging yesterday reading about the mucky fun in donade, wish I was out there.

Knee about 85-90% - mosty grand but when I pushed the pace a few times or when tired near end I could feel a small bit (not enough to need to stop at all, but if I had 50k left to do :eek:)

Overall 10k in about 58 mins - on a side note, jebus, I have lost a huge amount of fitness, was a struggle at times to get *close* to marathon pace (which felt easy before injury hit)

Permission to get back running from physio, which is great...

You know he is good and knows his running when he is threatening me with GBH if I run for more than 25-30 mins at a time AND if I go to fast. I have permission for slow and short jogs to build stuff up and confirm we are all good, before I see him at the end of the week [since I have had one setback with this already due to going back too much, too soon]. So going to trust him, anyway, Im mad busy this week so lucky that I dont have too much time to run anyway :)

Monday :
    70 mins in Gym [inc. 25 mins on dreadmill]
    30 mins swimming

Tuesday and Wednesday - sick at home, on my ass watching movies ;)

This Morn:
    45 mins in gym [inc. 25 mins on dreadmill]

Will go swimming after work, but since I was out for 2 days I have a crap load to do, so I had to get here.

Taking what physio said seriously, so going to slowly and build up, with the clear aim of being better than ever when I get back, and stronger where I need to be and less injury prone, in short term Im now looking at 10k's and maybe Halves in Late April/May

Still going to gym and doing non-running stuff and doing what physio said I should [and avoiding what he said] - but feeling like my knee is not getting any better tbh..

Amazing day out yesterday, I was a grumpy mo fo at home, as I really wanted to go out for a run, and could not [Well, I could have, clearly, but no point getting re injured again after taking this long to ensure its right]. In the end went out to Dun Laorighie for a walk

Going back to him today, and we will see :(

Going to take the plunge and get a "bike to work" scheme bike this week, and get something I can do some longer stuff on. No idea what, will let myself be lead by the nice man in the shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Going to take the plunge and get a "bike to work" scheme bike this week, and get something I can do some longer stuff on. No idea what, will let myself be lead by the nice man in the shop :)

Spend the full grand on the bike, accessories can generally be got for less online ;)

Got very limited clearance to resume running yesterday, but to start starting slow and short, and building with 10% rule, so LSR's are a good while away yet, let alone races...

So went to the gym last night and strength and core work and ran home. I intended running for 25 mins, but actually ran for 30 mins, and basically 5k on the nose. [great start Joe, break physio advice on run 1!!]

Today at lunchtime I went for a run over to the track, as I had my crusaders membership renewal for ages on my desk, so wanted to do a few laps and get that handed in etc. Did a couple of fast 200's to get the legs moving [where "fast" in this instance is about half marathon pace]. 5.68k in just under 31 mins. Great to get back out there, the mental symbolism of doing some laps on a track is great...

No huge problems with knee, but going to take it handy, and follow the 10% rule for the next month or so, and do all increases gradually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

10% per week....not per day;),,,good luck with the reco..

Tuesday Night:
    Swimming Lesson - I will master damn breathing one of these f00kin days

Wednesday:
    Lunch : 30 Mins - 5k run

PM : Circa 45 mins strength and core work in gym and then a 45 min kettlebell class with other half afterwards - ABSOLUTELY wrecked afterwards.

Thursday:
    Real life issues meant I took a day off :)

Fri:
    Took early lunch and went swimming, sooooo close to being able to...er...not drown :)

May run home later, or may go on the p1ss, we will see :)

Weekend - Looking forward to being able to do some bit of running over the weekend. Will get clever, and cycle to where I want to run, maximising my limited run duration, to run somewhere cool. Might break my ParkRun virginity a week early, and venture out to Malahide! Theres an idea...

Oh, and ordered my bike to work bike the other day. Spending €999.99 on bike and lock, thanks for the words of advice here and elsewhere!

Saturday:
    5k to Gym
    30 mins core work and general weights in gym
    45 min Swimming lesson..

Sunday:
    Wanted to push the running a fraction, so plan was to run for circa 40 mins and see. So ended up doing 8k in 44 mins and change.

The knee was not quite right at the end, I guess if I had pushed the distance to 10k or beyond it could have started to get sore again. So I guess this is right where my current boundry is.

In London during the week with work, so I will do an early morning lap of regents park on Wednesday, likley to be my next run :)

Raging reading all the reports from Bothermeen, enjoyed it last year and was entered this year, but how and ever, there will be other races :)

Monday Lunchtime : Swim Practice for 35-40 mins

Monday Evening : Just under 6.5k in just under 34 Mins - Simple fartlek, with bursts of speed over random short and longer distances. Turns out 2 of the k's were right at marathon pace, which was good to see.

Not a bother with the knee with is great, but kept it short regardless. It will all be worth it in the end :)

• Advertisement

Crazy busy week in work, between going to London and Dublin

Wednesday morning:
    7.5k in 39 mins odd around regents park [longer distance than I had planned tbh] - including 5 x 200m [On the dirt track near the zoo] at somewhere between 1/2 and 10k pace for a good blow out.

All good with knee [but utterly ruined after the 5xtwo's!!]

Yesterday - planned to go to gym and for a swim, but had to work late and then went home made food and went to bed as I was wrecked.

Fri Morning:
    Just over 6k in 34 mins odd - easy run into work, sticking to my plan and keeping it short and pretty easy in the wind and rain.

Knee perfect, no issues at all.

Wondering if I might go totally crazy and try to do 10k over the weekend :)

Saturday :

5k run down to swimming lesson, in about 27 mins

45 min swimming lesson

Circa 3k run home on more direct route - no garmin or anything on way home.

Good to see some boards folks out last night - a few pints on an empty stomach was a good tonic to a busy week!

Had a brainwave this morning - ran out to Mums and said hello given the day that's in it and then home again. Just over 6.5k - 34.59 out and 35.04 home!

Interestingly, the last time I did this same run to Mums was around a year ago [in middle of Paris training]. My average pace then was 5.27 min/km's - and today was 5.19 min/km's; and I do remember pushing it that time [and my first KM this morning was slow on purpose]. So very happy given I was not really pushing it today!

Knee perfect, which is great..

Around 42k for the week, which is also great given how fecked I was a few weeks ago [but did next to no core work this week, which is bold]

Im away next weekend, leaving Friday afternoon, so aim to get circa 35k running done and a couple of swims/gym sessions before then.

Run into work, pushing my recovery a touch further...

9k in 47 mins

Did 3 separate KM's at marathon pace as a test of knee and also an effort to make this a bit of a quality session and to get more out of it [the sheer fact that marathon pace feels pretty hard and fast is a sign of how much fitness I have lost, but glad to be getting back to some kind of shape].

Going to start the 8 week McMillian 10k plan from next week, for the sake of doing something. Even if I dont quite hit some of the paces, I want to have some kind of target and goal, and my 10k PB is a couple of years old and needs taking down :)

Lunchtime run, over to the track and did 10 by 200 at between 5k and 10k pace

A fraction slower than the same intervals I did a couple of months ago, but after doing next to nothing for so long its good to be back out there and this will be a good baseline to compare against in a few weeks.

Overall 8.5k in 43.30 odd

The new Fit magazine 10k - 10 days before my stag, tempting..

Thinking targeting Bay 10k as next 'target race' and could also do that Fit Mag one, as a backup - thinking back last year to the Night Run 10k, where I just missed a PB by being an idiot and being lazy in middle of run :)

Easy run home from work

9.25km in 52 mins

Away for weekend..

Last night was in gym and did 40 mins on dreadmill [no reason other than being tight for time and wanting to get a lot done in short space of time], then just under an hour of sundry weights and what not.

This morning 6k easy run to the gym, for a 45 min swimming lesson. [Not an amazing idea as lesson was a bit of a waste as I was wrecked the longer it went on.]

Only a small window for a run, inside a busy day, so tried another one of McMillian's treadmill workouts..

Basically..
    5 mins easy warm up
    5 mins at treadmill pace 9
    5 mins at treadmill pace 10
    5 mins at treadmill pace 11
    5 mins at treadmill pace 12
    5 mins at treadmill pace 13 [circa 4.40 per km pace]
    5 mins at treadmill pace 8 to cool down...

Couple of stretches for core, hips and glutes at end to properly cool down..

Good session, from desk to gym and back to desk in 45 mins :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

what kind of KPH are you running the different levels at approx?

Advertisement