Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

First LSR since end of JANUARY!

15k in 1 Hour and 20 Mins odd - basically the shortest possible loop of the park. Great to be back out there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Well done VB, nice to see you back in form

Yea great to get back to running around the park again, but I assume I wont feel like that in September and October!

Had a 2 hour driving lesson later in the day, the legs are more wrecked after that, than the run :)

Crazy busy this week, so not done a gigantic amount which is worthy of logging here.

Two swims over lunchtimes while at work..

Tuesday - 9k in 48 mins [in a snowstorm, great fun!]

Tonight - Was going to do a short and direct run home, but a thing I had to do was cancelled, so did a longer run via phoenix park, which was good and enjoyable

12.5k in 1.10

No huge plans for weekend, so hope to do some kind of run each day, including one LSR and one speed type session.

Entered Great Ireland Run for no reason at all really. More a case of never having done this race before and having that day free, and wanting to get out and do a race for the first time since Dunore since Im missing all the big 'uns :(

I guess I should be in 47 or 48 minute shape, but would not expect a wild amount more than that, but that's grand. Good hard training run.

Dublin Bay 10k at start of May is the next goal race, have a go at my 10k PB. I also may well do the Kildare Half the next weekend. Don't know if a half PB will be a question by then, but it a nice target :)

After that Dunshaughlin, Clontarf and we are into the race series.

• Advertisement

So I knew I would be entering the Kildare half late, and it would be slightly more expensive, so thats ok [I thought]...
    • €48 to enter the half...
    • €4.95 to post out my race pack to me [where you can collect for free from the Curragh on Saturday]
    • €4.24 as a processing fee [errrr is that not what the €48 reg fee covers?]

So a total of €57.19

So I will pass on that thanks, that's just crazy money, and just go for a run somewhere interesting around Dublin instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Entered Great Ireland Run for no reason at all really. More a case of never having done this race before and having that day free, and wanting to get out and do a race for the first time since Dunore since Im missing all the big 'uns :(

I guess I should be in 47 or 48 minute shape, but would not expect a wild amount more than that, but that's grand. Good hard training run.

Dublin Bay 10k at start of May is the next goal race, have a go at my 10k PB. I also may well do the Kildare Half the next weekend. Don't know if a half PB will be a question by then, but it a nice target :)

After that Dunshaughlin, Clontarf and we are into the race series.

I hope you entered the national 10k with your AAI number?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So I knew I would be entering the Kildare half late, and it would be slightly more expensive, so thats ok [I thought]...
    • €48 to enter the half...
    • €4.95 to post out my race pack to me [where you can collect for free from the Curragh on Saturday]
    • €4.24 as a processing fee [errrr is that not what the €48 reg fee covers?]

So a total of €57.19

So I will pass on that thanks, that's just crazy money, and just go for a run somewhere interesting around Dublin instead :)

Jesus, sounds like I won't be doing it either so :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pretty sure you can collect your pack for the half before the race (we all did last year).
    There were a few free entries in the hands of the pacers. I gave mine to a clubmate but there might be one or two still without owners....

I hope you entered the national 10k with your AAI number?
    Oh god yea - this saving for a wedding business REALLY focuses the mind on every possible money off/discount type offer possible :)

I actually had not thought of pinging pacers for an entry that way. No harm asking, thanks for the reminder!

• Advertisement

Just short of 19k in 1.40

Started out as the mcmillian 6 by 1 mile session @ 10k pace, and I did 2 of the miles and really was not feeling it at all, feeling rubbish and not enjoying it at all...

So I changed it, and started just running at a decent clip around the outer wall of the park, on the the interesting mixture of rock hard muck and 3 or 4 inch deep swamp. I should be angry at myself for bailing on the session but really REALLY enjoyed the run, more than I have any run in ages.....

So Feck my plan :)

Not feeling it today for no real reason, but went out and had a run.

10k in 54 mins odd..

Hard in the wind and also legs pretty heavy after yesterdays LSR, but its sessions like this will make a difference in the end :)

Now to eat my weight in chocolate :)

Terrible bout <insert genric sickness here>, so end of long weekend was a write off and Im still off today.

So a few days enforced rest from running, which is no real drama to be honest! [Imagine if I was still on course for the ultra, having logged many hundreds of miles and got sick like this week of race, talk about taper madness!!]

I can sit back and read everyone else's tales of glory over next few weekends, which suits me fine..

So crucified with some kind of gastric bug Sat Night/Sunday Morning [hence starting to feel crap for Sunday morning run!]. Only starting to get into it over last day or two, as I could hardly move Monday and Tuesday.

Wednesday:
    Went for swim for literally only 20 or 25 mins, just to do something. Spent more time just fecking around in pool than swimming tbh. Felt like crap during whole thing, so should not have bothered :/

Thurs:
    Gym; 25 mins on cross trainer at a decent setting and 45 mins odd sundry weights and core type work.

Fri:
    Run to work, I was late leaving house so only did 8k [instead of 10]. Did not look at watch really, as I was thinking about a work thing and also wedding stuff thats being a pain! I was pretty wrecked though the run and assuming it was a result of being sick, but when I got here and synced watch 5 out of the 8 KM's were at or below marathon pace [5 min KM's] - happy days :)

[Funny that pace is LSR pace for some of the speedy folks running over next few weekends, but since I am only getting back into things after annoying knee stuff Im *very* happy that I was just running on feel and that was the pace my body chose! I have until late October to make that pace MY easy running pace, so I can blow a large hole in my Marathon PB in DCM :D]

Good luck everyone doing Paris and Conn this weekend, so jealous its not funny - will have to go out on the lash instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Dude, you need to be careful and look after yourself injury-wise. Having kept an eye on your log for the past few months the recurring theme (and correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be that you get injured, come back, start running too hard too quickly and get injured again!?

Also, keep in mind that entering into a marriage is very stressful.... Getting out of it is even more so ;):D

Your right Digger - its one of those reasons why I am trying to do other stuff [Swim, Gym etc] one or two days and not just running 5 or 6 days a week, as previously I just did nothing but run, and got stupid injures by weak spots on areas not worked by running.

But I should be conscious about running speed your right. I was somewhat careful to build up distance slowly on a per run and per week basis [and I still am] - but I have been ignoring speed as I just picked a 10k and half marathon to focus on.

Good luck in Boston BTW, hope you beat herself and gain a lifetime bragging rights :P

17k in just over 1.30

Kept pace down on a stunning run around the park on a really nice morning.

Sunday when I should have been running into a gale force freezing cold wind in the Conn Ultra I was a hung over mess. So I ran about 5k in what seemed like hours, just to get out door and sweat some of the 900 pints from the night before out :)

Monday : Gym for strength and core work

Tonight, club session [been a member of crusaders for over a year now and Im still doing most training on my own which is insane, so I'm going to try and get to at least one club session a week from now on as I look ahead to the summer of running and onto the marathon].

Club session, after a warm up we did 12 by 400m, with 30 seconds recovery. Hardest easy warm down in history :)

Totally wiped me out to be fair, the first two were done at just over 6 min miles and the last two were done at 6.45 min miles odd, but very happy indeed to have done them as I could have dropped out very easy and used many pretty valid excuses. But PB's are born from hard work on nights like this.

I knew I would said this, but such a pity I wasted so many nights running on my own where I should have been doing these. But ah well, we live and learn :)

Wednesday:
    Short recovery run over lunch - legs pretty sore from Tues club session still

Evening : "Advanced" kettlebells class; in bits afterwards, but all good work. Was wrecked day after, but where I wanted to be, core and glutes etc etc

Thurs : swim at lunch and lazy doing nothing in evening and went to bed early as I was not feeling 100% at all.

Fri : woke up still feeling rubbish so did nothing at all tbh

Sat: awoke wide awake at 4am, so just before 6am I went out for a run, and did just short of 8 miles up to chesterfield avenue and back.

Doing great Ireland run tomorrow, legs are quite heavy after a pretty big week of this and that but the plan is and always was to do it at about planned Half pace for Kildare in a few weeks as that is a week after the 10k IM targetting so you a half PB could be in order - so tomorrow is a lactate threshold run of sorts. Fully expect it to hurt since I have only started hard speed work :)

• Advertisement

Great Ireland Run - Garmin time 46.57

Very happy with that, given I have only had a few weeks back training properly since the injury and only 2 or 3 speed sessions. So plan was this to be a good hard blow out and that is what it was :)

First 3 miles 7.20 pace, and last 3 miles closer to 7.45 min/miles - feck all left in legs, they were just exausted. But ironic my average pace ended up being close to what I had wanted to do whole race in :)

Few pics of me found on race pics after a couple of mins searching...

In both of them TERRIBLE heel striking, so when I got tired [or when I was racing?] all ideas about good form went out the window, which is annoying. Must work on that over weeks ahead..

http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/381/
    http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/983/

Good one of me in bits right at the end :)
    http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/2061/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Few pics of me found on race pics after a couple of mins searching...

In both of them TERRIBLE heel striking, so when I got tired [or when I was racing?] all ideas about good form went out the window, which is annoying. Must work on that over weeks ahead..

http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/381/
    http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/983/

Good one of me in bits right at the end :)
    http://www.racepix.com/GreatIrelandRun2013/racephotos/860/photo/2061/

ha Nice to finally put a face to the name :D
    ( pretty brutal heel strike , is right !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done on the comeback Joe. I see my arm in one of the pics so we must have been close for a good bit of the race before you spotted me around the 9K point. Nice to have a bit of a chat on the run in ;)

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done on the comeback Joe. I see my arm in one of the pics so we must have been close for a good bit of the race before you spotted me around the 9K point. Nice to have a bit of a chat on the run in ;)
    Was behind you for a while in a "is that him" kinda way - took a couple of miles to figure out :)

Excellent, there is a pic of me under the news report on Crusaders site and I'm leaning properly and forefoot striking - I was beginning to wonder!

Im not following a plan at the moment per sae, but over lunch I wanted to do one of the McMillian workouts, which was 3 by 10 mins at tempo interval pace, with 2 mins in-between each one. It seemed a perfect lunchtime quality session. So I headed over to Sean O'Moore park beside the club and gave it a go.

I slow jogged over there and got right into it, which was stupid, as I basically did no warm up.

I did the first two 10 min slots at about 7.15 min mile pace, I lost track of time a bit before 3rd one, so 2 mins turned into 6 or 7.

Not long into my 3rd one, my right hamstring was at me, not all that sore, but not perfect either, so I tried to run on for a few mins, slowing down a bit, but it was not getting any better so I killed the speed work there. I did another slow lap of the park and the jogged back to work. Leg feels perfect now, but clearly the lack of warm up was stupid.

Overall a bit over 5 miles in 43 mins, with about 24/25 total mins at 7.15 pace

Took Thursday and Friday off following the nasty surprise of the soreness in leg. Except that on Friday I had to run for a bus, doing 300 odd meters at full belt, and thus proving that the leg was fine :)

Saturday, I ran down to collect my shiny new bike, so did 5 miles in 41 minutes odd. Could have gone on, but a tight schedule in my day meant I had no more time.

This morning I woke up dead early, even with a bit too much wine consumed last night. So went out for a run, to an utterly deserted Phoenix Park, and did 11 1/2 miles at just under 9 min mile pace, talking it a bit easy and holding myself back a bit. Enjoyable run, came home and had to shower and get right into a car for a driving lesson, so a good test of the legs :)

[Glad Im not doing a marathon actually, as my Garmin froze in the way it did in Berlin, fingers crossed that does not happen anyone in London today :eek:]

Crappy day in work, so ditched the planned trip to the gym for a recovery run home as I wanted some fresh air...

7k in 42 mins - pretty good recovery run pace, solid 6 min KM's [I have switched back to min/miles generally, but was tracking on my phone and never switched that app back]

• Advertisement

Been awake since 5am with a work thing and assumed I would not be able to make club session, but a window of a could of hours opened for me right at the best time and I was able to go [after 13 hours work and feck all sleep last night!]

Amazing night out there, simply stunning! Ventured down to the club and warmed up and was treated to session of 8 by 600m with 200m active recovery in-between..

My personal goal was to have my pace for these just below 7 min miles, rather than all over the shop like I was two weeks ago [crazy that CL and Meno ran that pace in marathons and poor ole me struggles to keep that up for 800m on a track :D] - and did ok bar one, the 6th one when I thought that was the last one for some reason and did not push myself, so that one was 20 seconds slower, but last two were back on pace. No use getting down there and going thru motions and being lazy, if I want to be lazy I can sit on my arse right here and watch soccer :)

Really enjoyed the session, good hard and productive work and got to meet a couple of more folks from the club I knew the faces of, but did not know otherwise. Half the point of being in a club like Crusaders, is to take advantage of the large numbers of peoples at these training sessions and get to know folks :)

Advertisement