Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

PaulieC - could have been written about me :)

As easy jaunt home from work this evening, 5 miles in 44 mins, with pace all over the shop as I was playing with different chi running techniques, and also being tired after 4 early starts in a row...and feck it...its running for enjoyment so pace can go and ****e!!

Another really nice night for it, cant wait for the summer of running :)

Prolly no chance of getting near the 10k PB next weekend, but I will give it a lash, its mostly on my fav course, the clontarf half course, so I always enjoy running out there. I got a Kildare half entry from a very nice man indeed, so that will be a good target pity its not another few weeks away, as my half PB is not all that shabby [from Clontarf last summer]; so I will either go for that, or go along with 1.45 group for a chat :)

This time next month I will be in a gutter in Amsterdam, in the middle of my Stag - woot :)

A really enjoyable run up to Marley and then a fun and easy jaunt around Marley park run with the other half. Had to chase off afterwards as we have a busy day here.

Nice to discover the route up there from my place which is 70% cycle path

Overall, just over 14 miles in just under 2 hours

No running yesterday due to having to cook dinner for 11 people, and all that entails meaning I was up from sunrise getting stuff sorted in one way or another. No harm having a rest from running as I was on my feet for one reason or another most of saturday, by end of night the legs were IN BITS - just really really tired.

So went out on a lunchtime run today, as Im busy after work later. So tested out a new route which could be a regular lunchtime run and ran from work, out to the the pigeon house aka poolbeg power station, to the foot of the sea wall [not going on those cobbles, always get injured when I run on them!]. I ran home a different way, via the local industrial estate.

Overall 5.5 miles, in 48 mins which is perfect time for a lunchtime run. Great sunshine when I was running and lashing rain now #winning

• Advertisement

No running yesterday due to having to cook dinner for 11 people, and all that entails meaning I was up from sunrise getting stuff sorted in one way or another. No harm having a rest from running as I was on my feet for one reason or another most of saturday, by end of night the legs were IN BITS - just really really tired.

So went out on a lunchtime run today, as Im busy after work later. So tested out a new route which could be a regular lunchtime run and ran from work, out to the the pigeon house aka poolbeg power station, to the foot of the sea wall [not going on those cobbles, always get injured when I run on them!]. I ran home a different way, via the local industrial estate.

Overall 5.5 miles, in 48 mins which is perfect time for a lunchtime run. Great sunshine when I was running and lashing rain now #winning

You'd be better off going over the Irishtown Nature Reserve rather than down the Pigeon Hse road, at least you get a bit of trail and a bit of scenery. Follow the path through Sean Moore park and turn left at the top instead of going straight on to the beach.

Of course, ignore this completely if you already know the route :D

I know the path your talking about - but never actually gone up there. Will check it out thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I know the path your talking about - but never actually gone up there. Will check it out thanks :)

That's the route we took on those silly o'clock runs!

That's the route we took on those silly o'clock runs!
    Ahhhhhhhhhh - senior moment, I thought PaulieC was talking about another rote up that direction :)

I took that main route going out there yesterday, I know there are other path's around that whole area, we ran the main route on those runs [and I did again yesterday], but there are left and right turns here and there up that path, so I may ask down the club tonight, as I know they do loads of runs around there, which I have not joined in on yet. I like the idea of just staying on the trails a small bit easier on the legs..

there's a path right up through the middle of Sean Moore park, which you are familiar with. When you turn left at the beach, follow it right around, along the water and just keep going. It comes to the trail which brings you up a hill and around the Nature reserve. There are a few offshoots, but just keep on the main path and it will bring you out at the road which runs out to the lighthouse. If I can find a garmin later I'll post it.
    On the other hand, you can take a left at the start of the trail (up a steeper singletrack) and that will bring you out to the same place eventually. It's a nicer trail underfoot, but no view of the sea and mountains

• Advertisement

Was just about to head out door to club session last night and some serious real life stuff came up which meant I had to ditch plans and sort stuff out. I knew the club session involved a 3k time trial. So decided I would give that a shot on my own today.

My plan was to head over to the club and do it right on the track at lunch. But spanner was put into the works, in that when I got to the track there was a schools meet on. So I just went right out to Sean O'Moore Park and did it there. I did a warmup lap of the Park and started my 3k with 1.4 miles on the Garmin..

So I was going to judge it by distance, rather than the easier few laps of the track. So in my head I was thinking that I had to go until 4 miles.....maths never being my strong point, I got confused between KM's and Miles [having just switched back]. I was done with two laps of the park and right at 3 miles before I realised that I was wrong, and that I was almost finished. On one hand great to have done it, on another hand its a shame as I was holding back bit thinking I had a full mile to go. So it was not an all out effort at all :(

So the 3k done in 12.50; which is not *terrible*, but about 30 seconds plus out from where McMillian tells me where I should be [McMillian goal based on where I want to be with 10k in short term, which in turn happens to reflect on what I want to do in Half and Full as it happens]. So maybe doing it on a track with other people, and in those planned and controlled circumstances where I could indeed go all out would be better in terms of getting a realistic time.

Anyway, overall was 5 miles in just over 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was just about to head out door to club session last night and some serious real life stuff came up which meant I had to ditch plans and sort stuff out. I knew the club session involved a 3k time trial. So decided I would give that a shot on my own today.

My plan was to head over to the club and do it right on the track at lunch. But spanner was put into the works, in that when I got to the track there was a schools meet on. So I just went right out to Sean O'Moore Park and did it there. I did a warmup lap of the Park and started my 3k with 1.4 miles on the Garmin..

So I was going to judge it by distance, rather than the easier few laps of the track. So in my head I was thinking that I had to go until 4 miles.....maths never being my strong point, I got confused between KM's and Miles [having just switched back]. I was done with two laps of the park and right at 3 miles before I realised that I was wrong, and that I was almost finished. On one hand great to have done it, on another hand its a shame as I was holding back bit thinking I had a full mile to go. So it was not an all out effort at all :(

So the 3k done in 12.50; which is not *terrible*, but about 30 seconds plus out from where McMillian tells me where I should be [McMillian goal based on where I want to be with 10k in short term, which in turn happens to reflect on what I want to do in Half and Full as it happens]. So maybe doing it on a track with other people, and in those planned and controlled circumstances where I could indeed go all out would be better in terms of getting a realistic time.

What 10k and Half times are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Vagga I think I am correct in saying these should be done based on your current level of fitness and not what you aspire to, so you get the best out of the session and recover properly.

I'm sure there is probably not too much difference but bearing in mind your only coming back from injury it is probably a better session than you think.

Good point - Its a bit silly saying I want to run the marathon in x time in October, therefore all times should be at that level now, perspective is handy sometimes :)
    What 10k and Half times are you looking for?
    10k - want to be in the 44's for a start [PB is nigh on 2 years old] - looking at Dunshaughlin for that ; half want to in 1.38's - looking at Clontarf, set PB there 2 years in a row :)

Functional run of 4 miles or so this morning, running 2 miles or so to my sisters to help out with something and running home again before work :)

Very interesting club run on Sunday morning, and Im going to rearrange my whole Sunday so I can join in - a bit sad really, moving a driving lesson and two genuinely fun things so I can do a pretty tough looking run :)

Very interesting club run on Sunday morning, and Im going to rearrange my whole Sunday so I can join in - a bit sad really, moving a driving lesson and two genuinely fun things so I can do a pretty tough looking run :)

what's that ?

Here is the guts of it, send to marathon list..
    A few of us were planning on doing a long run this Sunday morning from Marley Park @ 9am.

The route is as follows: Start from the car park at the back of Marley Park. Run out the exit and along the edge of the park and turn up Kilmashogue Lane (this is quite steep). Turn left near the top of this lane into the entrance of a woods. The run from here is flat for a while before getting steep again for about a mile or so. It levels out again for about a mile before you hit another incline which is quite steep again. This last steep bit leads up to 2 Rock which has great views of Dublin. From here it’s either mostly downhill or level as we head over to Tibradden. From Tibradden we made our way down through woods back onto road and back to Marley Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Looks like a great run, I would have definitely joined you if I weren't in Limerick, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

That's very much like the Dublin Mountain Plod Half Marathon in reverse...
    Should be good!

Entered this as a PB attempt a while ago, but kept it a small bit low key. That idea turned into me running it with my other half, but she had to drop out during the week due to work and stuff - so I decided to give it a lash, as I love running out that part of the world.

Organisation was ok, a few long queues, but they moved pretty quickly. My warm up went well, basically doing very similar to what we do down the club on Tuesday nights. It was chilly with a pretty strong wind, which would be at our backs on way out, and in our faces on way home.

The race started ok, I was going just under 7 min miles and folks were sprinting past me, after a few hundred meters it seemed like I had mistakenly entered the world 10k championships! But by a mile or so in I had passed a lot of people, still going the same speed, and others clearly slowing down.

I found myself running with a tri-athlete [top from a tri race and Im pretty sure a Ironman tattoo] and he was going 7.05 miles like clockwork, so that suited me fine. To be honest, I felt stronger, and that I could push on if I had wanted, but I knew I was running into wind on way home, and that when I run on that sand on Clontarf Half I *always* loose time.

It was like that until coming up to between 4k and 5k when my friend started to slow down a bit, so I pushed on, where pushing on is keeping the same speed [sorta]. I passed 5k in around 21.4something; which would have been a 5k PB this time last year!

Started to get a stitch around now, but I was digging in, and it was fine. We ran up to the beach, and this is an amazing part of the world and one of my fav's around Dublin. I was going around 7.05 miles or so at this point, and the SECOND I ran onto the beach I dropped to 7.30 min/miles, as soon as we were running back toward finish we had a strong wind in our faces, and I was really digging deep and pushing hard, and that was to keep going 7.25 odd min/miles, and I passed quite a few people. I am thinking many people will have lost a lot of time in that last 4k.

It was a case of talking to myself and telling myself that we were almost done, and that it was one last push over and over, but with legs screaming and a damn wind blowing serious amounts of sand in our face it was not easy at all. But needs must, we do this to ourselves out of choice :D

Route up to finish was up and over the small wooden bridge, and the wind was basically blowing into it, diagnoally, but may as well have been in our faces. I had no one 10m in front of me or behind me and it was every ounce of effort to keep going at this same pace, never looked at my time, as I simply was not able.

With a couple of hundred meters to go, I ran up behind two blokes and just stayed there, as they were going a decent pace and I checked watch and I was going much better than I had thought...

Crossed the line in 44.43 by watch, a HUGE PB [over what was pretty soft to be fair, and set almost 2 years ago]. Thrilled with that, all the more thrilled that on a calm day there is another minute or more I could have taken today, let alone later in the summer after more good training.

Very slow jog back a couple of miles to get bag was really good actually, they had a bus, but a slow jog was just what my legs needed and wanted.

Good race very well done and well marshaled, over 1k people between 5k and 10k - somewhat mystified there is not a single mention of it on here.

• Advertisement

Had to abandon plans to join in club hilly LSR, due to having to stay at home slightly too long this morning, maybe not a bad thing as legs were in ribbons from the 10k yesterday..

So on the spur of the moment I ran to grand canal basin and ran the grand canal. Had no real plan or distance in mind, but just kept going. Legs were pretty sore and heavy but it was a really nice run..

Eventually joined up with the LUAS line around the time I would turn for home, and ran out there, only "sorta" knowing where I was going. Before I knew it was basically at Park West and with the M50 in my sights, I went a bit further, and into Clondalkin, and then turned back for fear RQ could find me and beat me up.

Ran home nice and easy, with legs feeling like lead, but really glad to have done the run, and its a great route for a future 20 miler.

Overall just under 13 on the clock, in 1.54 odd.

Monday:
    I wanted to rest legs, so went on a 2 hour mountain walk with other half :)

Tuesday:
    London with work, nothing. Knee's a small bit sore, but I cant decide if its a real issue or a phantom. Resting anyways!

Wednesday:
    Still in London, woke up lazy, planned to run but did not, knee pain from yesterday, lashing rain, had work to do, tbh one of those days I needed any excuse. So went to gym in hotel and worked on hips, glutes and core stuff. Then ate about 1500 calories worth at buffet breakfast :)

Running Kildare Half on Sunday, don't know if I will go around with 1.45 gang for a decent run, or go for a half PB [PB is 1.40 and change, so would be looking to dip into 1.39's]. One of those things I will decide on start line :)

I was lucky enough to get an entry for the Kildare Half quite late. I had wanted to run it for a few reasons, mainly personal. With a 10k PB last week, I knew I was in pretty good shape. But I have not been doing huge miles, so the big concern was if I could keep the pace up for the full distance off pretty small numbers of miles in training.

Had a pretty crappy week all in all, with zero real running or any exercise at all to be honest. Got a lift with the Stews, and a car full of about 23 people called Joe! On the morning of the race twitter and other places were alive with stories of horrible wind and rain down in Kildare. So I had gear for all manner of weather. I eventually changed my top at the last second, and put a long sleeve vest under my club top. Which was a bad decision, as I was too warm right after the start :)

I hung out with the pacers before the race, and eventually went out to warm up. So basically I did the exact same warm up as I had done last week, so I went from freezing to nice and warm. Of then I had to go to the start line, so I did a very slow jog for the mile or so down to the start, as others walked [were they not getting really cold?]

Did some active stretches at the start while waiting to head off, and was standing right behind the 1.30 pacers. The theory being I know they should be going away from me, if I'm on pace, so its a method to stop me going off to fast.

The first two miles were uneventful bar the expected wind in our faces, and just me trying not to go off too fast, a 7,25 min/mile and then a 7.29 mile. The third mile was uphill, and going into the curragh camp, and up the only serious hill on the course, my pace dropped a bit, but only to 7.42 min/mile.

I was lucky in a way, some gob****e had a Garmin set to pace or HR and it was beeping like crazy so really annoying me, so that got me to press ahead, to get away from it :)

The next 5 miles are all in the 7.25 range, but around half way I was urging and praying for half way to come and starting to wonder when I would blow up, not if - but thinking that I would get a respectable time. But for most of this Im on the shoulder of one bloke with the same core of other people all around us. It was really good for me, as I was working really hard to stay with them.

[Interesting note : I went thru 10k faster than I did the Great Ireland run in, a few weeks ago, doing 10k in 46.15 or something like that!]

I was running without water or without gels or anything like that, but by the water/gel station at mile 9 I was really starting to suffer, and fully knowing that a PB was still in target [a 1.36/37 finish at that point]. So I took my first water of the race, and took a gel to boot. I did not feel it make a difference tbh, but the placebo effect was great "I have a gel now, I will be fine" :)

The 9th mile was 7.36, but I had slowed a bit before I spotted it [well the blokes I was following slowed, and then I took gel and water and then pressed on, on my own.

The last 3 miles were in Kildare village as in the actual town center, rather than horrible shopping complex], and the back onto the Curragh, and I was giving it everything, but "only" going 7.45 min/miles odd, but that was all I had in me at this point.

But with a couple of miles to go you can see the finish area, which is great, but I started to get a stitch on my right hand side [despite it being pancake flat], and could not shift it at all, and indeed stitch was getting worse. So while my mind wanted to press on and give it a bit more to get to the end under 1.38.* - but it was not to be. In the last mile a number of people passed me which was annoying, as I was killing myself to keep 7.45 pace, but they flew by me.

But as I turned to see the finish, I see the beautiful face of Ultraman pointing to the time, and that I would indeed get over the line under the 100 minute mark, and in 1.39 and change :D I crossed the line utterly spent, and really did not have much more at all. All I would say is that with better endurance training I would not slow down so much as I did near the end, so there is more room to improve there :)

Very happy with that, chip time is 1.39.22, a PB of over a minute, breaking what was one of my better PB's, set only last summer in Clontarf. Im going to take a short break from racing for a short while now, after 2 hard PB's in 2 weeks. The next out may well be Dunshaughlin in 6 or 7 weeks.

A word about the race, it really is one of the best organised races I have ever done, cant speak highly enough about it. Every street intersection was well marshaled with volunteers and guards. I loved the family atmosphere, with some people doing the 10k and other parts of the family doing the half or the full. Clealry no issues with finding parking at all. Loved every part of it.

Monday: Swim after work to get weary legs moving.

Tonight : Bought running stuff to work with a plan to do a slow recovery run home. Over course of the day I convinced myself I was grand, and went to the club session. Doing the warm up the legs were sluggish to say the least, so told myself I would do half the session, regardless of what it was. So the session was 8 by 600m with 200 active recovery, so I did 4, and I was wrecked by the end [I could have gone one and done a couple more, but no point in flogging myself tbh]

Ran home at a slow enough pace, while it was only 3.5 miles odd, I do somewhat regret it as my legs feel like they did a marathon now :)

Overall, 7.5 miles in just over an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Well done on the PB, you were looking strong at the finish.

Wednesday : Intended going to gym at lunch at work, but could not, and then had wedding stuff to do after work, so nothing done at all.

Thursday : Again, wanted to go to gym at lunch, but could not face it at all, and just plain could not be arsed - no motivation or energy, despite full knowledge my cross training has gone to sh1t over last few weeks and that will leave me prone to injury down the road.

Got home [after a stop to do wedding stuff!] and had time to kill, so went out on a run. Seriously, my legs feel like I did a full marathon on Sunday. I did 5 1/2 miles, mainly of a few laps of Eamonn Ceannt Park, and my average pace over whole run was just under 9 min miles, and that was not me taking it easy, I could not have gone a wild amount faster.

Great night in the park, and brilliant to see some kids doing athletics training up there, first time in my couple of years doing laps up there I have seen the running club there in action, which put a smile on my face!

Busy weekend ahead, but Saturday morning Im taking my shiny new [where new means I have had it for a month already, but was focusing on the 10k and half] bike out for a proper spin for the first time, which should be interesting :)

No running for me on a very busy day, but got out for about 75 mins on the bike for the first real spin on it since I had gotten it. Was supposed to hook up with the Pulse Tri folks in the park, but got delayed a bit leaving home so missed them. Knew the vague route they had planned so I did something like that on my own.

Really enjoyable, the hilly parts knocked me for 6, and I was proper exhausted after them. But I guess that is the point, and it was the first time I had done this, so what do you expect. Saw the club setting up for their session near the end of my cycle and got a couple of looks, "is that...." :)

Overall 18.2 miles in 1.12-average speed 15.4 MPH, which is crap Im sure, but we all start somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Overall 18.2 miles in 1.12-average speed 15.4 MPH, which is crap Im sure, but we all start somewhere.

Not bad, except you're using the wrong unit of measurement ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shame you missed the group but thats just a tick under 25k which is a good average pace for ticking along. Glad I didn't get out of bed earlier so I could be there for you. :D

Km's for the bike Joe ;)

• Advertisement

Jesus, its not easy is it - all this context switching :)

[I had a feeling about the KM thing to be honest, and Im glad, as looking at the speed club cycles are done, at 25- I was wondering how the hell I was going to get up to 25 MPH, as I only hit that going full pelt, down hill with wind at my back :)]

Advertisement